Game on

Jodi

Super Moderator
Cash wants to know if you got a deer, Robby. We can't wait to hear what is happening.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got to the lap top, so can give you a little more about the hunt so far. We got right in the buck country this morning, coming in from above on the ridge we spotted that 180 buck last night -keep in mind I have NOT got a good look at him (or the wide buck,) so score is only a guess, but he’s got the frame to be that kind of buck and is about 26-28” wide. Would love to get him on the ground and/or video and see for sure.

It’s about 1:45 to the top, so we hit it about 7:15. We immediately spotted about a 150 buck and a cow elk. That buck was rubbed already which is a little early. Had to hunker down and let them feed into the cover. We do not want to spook game in this area. Too open and we’ll lose our chances at these big deer. Didn’t get glass on the big deer, but I bet Cindy they were within 500 yards of our location.

We backed out about 11, hoping we didn’t send out an alert to every deer on the mountain.

Although we are road camping, this is not an easy hunt. We did close to 6 miles and 2000 vertical to get in there. I’m thrilled to find out this area is pretty hard to get into, and I haven’t found an ATV trail in the deer country, yet. I was discussing with Cindy that when I do find a big buck, it usually makes sense why he is there and this area is no different- steep, some cover, hard to get into, and hard to move around without spooking game- all ingredients to grow a big deer.

I can tell you all that Cindy’s training has worked. When I ran those fitness tests on her in early June (see the Mule Deer Thread), she was in decent shape at about 143 but is now 133- big difference on a woman that size. With her eating plan, cardio-hikes, two runs weekly, and CrossFit, her fitness level is great. I cannot out-walk this woman!

Also more comfortable than day 1 as I can now say “Cindy, stay here, I gotta potty!” 

attachment.php

attachment.php

back at the truck after 7 hour hunt

Last edited:
Our strategy this morning was to get high above where Robby had seen the bucks previously and where we had seen the bucks last night. We glassed as we moved and I learned to use my binoculars even when I thought it was too dark to see anything. I was surprised at what I could see through them in the low light conditions. Doing that, I spotted a 2 point moving up the ridge to the south of us. At that time, we were parallel to him which was a good sign. We dropped off the ridge to the north so we were on the back side and out of sight. From there we hoofed it to the top. It was steep but we made good time and were able to get to our desired glassing location ahead of the deer.

In a 3 hour time frame we moved roughly 300 yards down the mountain glassing as we went. We’d move 20-30 yards then glass the same area over and over just picking it apart. We jumped some smaller bucks but didn’t seem like they were spooked too bad.
From there we backed out of the area and worked our way down the mountain.

Robby gave me tips and tactics all morning. Some of them are:
1- See the deer before they see you. If you can do that and bed them down then your chances increase significantly.
2- When you’re in their core living area be as minimalist as possible because if you spook them their gone.
3- Big bucks are deliberate. Be patient, move slowly and glass everything.

Considering my head cold I felt good about my fitness level. My hard work has paid off. Can’t wait to go see what we can find tonight.

attachment.php

This is how I take Rokslide members hunting!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great to hear everything is going well. Good luck, but more imortantly have fun and be safe!

Thanks Les! all our hard work is paying off.

It's dark now, spotted a group of bucks low tonight. Best one was a shooter in the least, I'd stalk him if we had the chance. Robby thought he was about 27 or so.

Didn't see either big deer today, but are going to come in from the south tomorrow and look at the country from another angle. hard to see it all.

We're just getting ready to start our hike in. The moon is awesome. Chance of rain 40%. Gonna be a great day!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Up at 4:15, out of camp by 5. Headed around from the south end, so 20 minute drive, then 1-2 hour hike in. 40% chance of rain, so rain gear in packs. Beautiful full moon over head.

Glad some people like my gear- it's all what fits in the budget! Basically, Cindy looks like she just stepped off the pages of a Cabela's mag while I look like I've been to the Army surplus store :)

Army Surplus...thata-boy buy American whenever you can:DOne foot infront of another get going. What do you do about lighting the trail without spooking them ...or do you worry about it?

RUTTIN

WKR
Robby, does it help to find deer if your half naked? Ha Ha, must be a hot walk in to glass without a shirt.

Sounds like a good hunt so far I keep watching this thread seeing how things are progressing.

Cindy,

Did Robby feed you lima beans and hot wings for dinner yet?

As you probably have figured out, you're in for a great hunt and learning experience regardless of the outcome. Robby is a good guy to be in the woods with!

Jodi

Super Moderator
Hmmm. Let's all wait to see what he has to say about being shirtless....

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Great pic of Cindy........Robby, man I don't know if you guys kill a big buck it's gonna be weird seeing all those deer hunters running around shirtless!!

Hey Baylee wish you were here! You would have loved the hike in this morning! 😄I miss my partner. We've been able to watch some bucks and does bed down this morning. Cool stuff. Love ya & miss ya!