Game birds along the haul road?

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving for a Haul Road hunt on Sunday (yee-haw!). I was wondering if there are any sort of upland game / grouse to hunt? Is it worth bringing Judo tip type heads for my arrows?

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
Do I need an extra tag, or is it part of the hunting license?

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
Can you hunt ptarmigan with a shotgun on the haul road?
I don't think so. I just called AK Fish and Game and they said that it is still a weapons restricted area... Might be worth a call to confirm

WRO

WKR
I don't think so. I just called AK Fish and Game and they said that it is still a weapons restricted area... Might be worth a call to confirm
Just trying to plan a ptarmigan hunt in the future.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you hunt ptarmigan with a shotgun on the haul road?
No. No firearms within the DHCMA.

"Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA) -
Units 20 and 24-26 extending five miles from each side of the
Dalton Highway, including the drivable surface of the Dalton
Highway, from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including
the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. The area within the Prudhoe
Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the
remainder of the DHCMA is closed to hunting; however, big
game, small game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by
bow and arrow only, and small game may be taken by falconry.
Any hunter traveling on the Dalton Highway must stop at any
check station operated by the department within the DHCMA.
Hunting with firearms is prohibited by statute. Motorized vehicle
restrictions exist, contact AKDOT and land managers for details."

thayerp81

FNG
We’ve seen a good number on the tundra, they’re tough to kill though! Hit one with a blunt tip two days ago, knocked him over got a plume of feathers then he got up and flew stay like nothing happened! I’m thinking that one must be a fluke.

thayerp81

FNG
Update, after shooting a few we found that the rubber blunt tips only work if you hit them from the base of the wing up. Any body shot and they’ll just run/fly away no matter how badly they’re hurt. The judo points are likely more effective. Lesson learned. The good news is once we figured that out we got a couple and cooked them over a fire at camp last night. Meat is delicious!

MBN

FNG
Season opens Sep 1 and have seen quite a geese around also. Don't forget a State and Fed duck stamp.

thayerp81

FNG
Is that meat as dry as it looks.????

The outside of any game bird breast has a covering like that. How moist or dry the meat is has nothing to do with the meat itself and all to do with how long it’s cooked. There’s zero fat, so if you overcook it even a little it’ll be dry, otherwise is moist and delicious.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The outside of any game bird breast has a covering like that. How moist or dry the meat is has nothing to do with the meat itself and all to do with how long it’s cooked. There’s zero fat, so if you overcook it even a little it’ll be dry, otherwise is moist and delicious.
I'm referring more to the dark red color of the meat. In my experience, almost all game birds with that dark of meat tend to be dry, duck, geese and dove come to mind. Of course proper cooking is the key to the final results. I have found many ways to prepare dove and it comes out very good. In my opinion there is nothing that can help duck.