Game bags

kyle1112

WKR
So I'm gonna buy new game bags for this year and wanna know the rokslide opinions out there......Caribou vs TAG vs Alaska....And why? Examples ie. Pics etc

JG358

WKR
I'm pretty happy with Caribou bags. Not sure if the new Alaskan game bags are any better but I wasn't very impressed with the ones I tried.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Alaskans for years and have no complaints. They are very light weight, very stretchy, I compress them with duct tape and get 3+ bulls with them if I am careful. Just wash and use again. Being they are very lightweight they can rip/tear easily. Luckily they are very cheap as well. Have not used the other 2 options as have not had the need to do so. Lastly I don't use them for packing just for hanging as noted they tear easily, so will pack meat packing bags when I go back and start having the fun:)

Last edited:
OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
So i see that Ross you quarter and leave bone on and JG you bone out, is that all preference like usual or due to bags

JG358

WKR
I have been using Alaskans for years and have no complaints. They are very light weight, very stretchy, I compress them with duct tape and get 3+ bulls with them if I am careful. Just wash and use again. Being they are very lightweight they can rip/tear easily. Luckily they are very cheap as well. Have not used the other 2 options as have not had the need to do so. Lastly I don't use them for packing just for hanging as noted they tear easily, so will pack meat packing bags when I go back and start having the fun:)

No fly issues with them? When mine stretched out it didn't look like their was any way they would stop flies from laying eggs through them.

JG358

WKR
So i see that Ross you quarter and leave bone on and JG you bone out, is that all preference like usual or due to bags

Just preference. Little more meat loss when you bone out but its easier to handle(don't think the horses I use care either way) :)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as I am careful no fly issues, you will see the second photo has a shirt tied one game bag as this is two arms in this bag. To prevent fly intrusion I will do this if any doubt. Flys will and have laid eggs on the outside and I will just scrape them off of the bag but no fly intrusion inside IF I make sure there are no tears. Easier said than done at times. Depending on distance I will leave bone attached &or if my friends are available for packing, which there is a good sized list :). If distance is an issue then the bones will come out on the fronts for sure.

Poly grass seed bags. Can't believe these haven't gone viral. Free at the feed store. Tough, they breath and drain, and keep off the flies. Throw away after the hunt. I roll tightly and zip tie them. Always have a few in our packs to handle a whole boned out elk.

Bar

Banned
That's fine once you get the meat in the bags, but I also like to keep the flies off while skinning it out. Our muzzleloader season is mid Sept, and the flies are out in force.

I've drug bone in and boned out elk quarters over snow and a little dirt in the caribou bags before. Fill up pack with meat then tie it up around waist with paracord and slowly walk out. Never had a tear or other issue.

1hoda

Banned
So I'm gonna buy new game bags for this year and wanna know the rokslide opinions out there......Caribou vs TAG vs Alaska....And why? Examples ie. Pics etc

Caribou. I saw them at ISE which convinced me. Used them on 2 hunts last year - would definitely buy them again.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the tag bags and they are bulletproof I have been very impressed with them. Caribou bags are pretty good too but I like helping out the original

ridgefire

WKR
Would highly recommend the caribou bags. Have used them for a few seasons now and they have worked great. No issues with flies and they are very durable. Wash when you get home and good to go for the next hunt. Only complaint is how big the quarter bags are. They are huge, could probably fit a couple front elk quarters in one.

wapitibob

WKR
I went to caribou from Allen outfitter bags. The caribou are half the weight and size but don't breath worth a darn though.. You can blow a candle out thru the Allen's. The caribou sure clean up nice. Twice thru the laundry with a little vinegar and they look new.

rayporter

WKR
i have used tag bags and caribou bags and i cant tell the difference in them. maybe, just maybe the tag bags pack up in a smaller package. we dragged quarters as far as 400 yds in tag bags one time.

poly feed bags are always in camp and have been pressed into service many times. they are just as light wt as caribou but i dont think they pack as small.

i always have a cotton sheet at the truck to wrap meat. sometimes a sheet is just the ticket.

NEhunter

WKR
I will continue to use TAG bags. This year after one of my hunts, I had noticed I got a couple of small holes in 2 of the bags (completely my fault not a failure of the bag). One evening at about 10 pm I shot out an email to Pristine Ventures about buying a couple singles to replace them. Larry emailed me back within 15 or so minutes asking for my address to send me replacements at no cost. Great bags and great CS IMO.