Game bag for Bear hide

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for a game bag that will handle a bear hide with the option of the head on or off?
I see that Black Orvis has a game bag designed to hold a full deer which would potentially be a good option: https://www.blackovis.com/gear/game...le-deer-antelope-body-anti-microbial-game-bag

any other bags I should look at?
you probably already know this, but make sure it is completely cooled before rolling it up in the bag. They will hold heat and rot quickly.
I’m not sure on the smallest size you can get away with, but I know they will fit in a regular sized contractor bag.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
you probably already know this, but make sure it is completely cooled before rolling it up in the bag. They will hold heat and rot quickly.
I’m not sure on the smallest size you can get away with, but I know they will fit in a regular sized contractor bag.
Yeah, trying to get it into something that breathes vs. a contractor bag, which I've carried before for this purpose, but haven't ended up using to allow a little more airflow. I do spread the hide out on a log or similar to get the hide cooled as much as possible before packing it up.

doepatrol

FNG
I have packed several out in a draw string quarter bag, have also rolled them up in the sheet I use to lay meat on while butchering. I have never thought I needed more space for the hide with head on they have worked great. For the sheet I typically use a zip tie to clamp it down and it's solid. That bear was right around 300lbs and I did two trips. One for all the meat then hide and climbing gear last. This let the hide cool off while I did the first hike out.

Attachments

• 20231111_094930.jpg
    20231111_094930.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231111_123748.jpg
    20231111_123748.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231111_104057.jpg
    20231111_104057.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 15
OP
P

Poser

WKR
I have packed several out in a draw string quarter bag, have also rolled them up in the sheet I use to lay meat on while butchering. I have never thought I needed more space for the hide with head on they have worked great. For the sheet I typically use a zip tie to clamp it down and it's solid. That bear was right around 300lbs and I did two trips. One for all the meat then hide and climbing gear last. This let the hide cool off while I did the first hike out.
so, it fit in a typical elk/moose size quarter bag? This one is 21" x 38" in size XL: https://www.blackovis.com/gear/game-bags/ovis-sacks-single-quarter-game-bags

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Mine is just a quarter bag out of a moose set. I tore it so I ordered a replacement then sewed up the torn one, now that my bear hide bag.

Standard deer sized quarter bag technically fits for a (most) black bear. As others stated, I wouldn't leave it in there. If possible, you should be working on taking the skull and paws out if not fleshing and turning anyways.