Gaitors

I know I saw a thread on here about them already and was going to add to that one but had trouble finding it, so a new thread it is. I'm pretty sure on getting the OR verglas gaitors but have been looking at the sitkas as well. Anyone have experience with the sitkas or both? Which one is better? Thanks

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am leaning towards the OR's or Kennetreks. I am interested in hearing what you think of the ORs if you go that direction.

OP
pyroducksx3
Yeah I have heard nothing but good things about the OR and nothing about the sitkas but just gotta ask, they have camo afterall and that makes them cooler ;)

Lawnboi

WKR
Does anyone make quiet gaiters. I want a pair that keeps my pant legs tucked in nice and tight. They dont necessisarily have to be waterproof, i dont think they are that needed unless there is snow. All the gaiters iv handled, including alot from OR all are really loud, almost too loud for bowhunting. I may get a pair of rei trail running gaiters or maybe the sitka flash gaiters just to have something. Iv got a pair of OR rocky mt shorts, but those things are loud!

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I use the OR Crocodile gaitors and have had great success with them. they work great for busting through brush in S.E. Alaska, crossing knee high streams ( actually kept boots and lower leg dry), post holeing in snow, working through scree on a sheep hunt. I wear them all the time. I've had to make repairs cuz hunting can be tough on them, but even with minor tear repairs they are great.
They do make a bit of noise, but that's just a compromise I made for the quality and durability.

I think the sitka's are overpriced and who really needs camo that far down. just my .02

OP
pyroducksx3
The Sitkas are overpriced that's for sure as is all their stuff but I can get a really good discount That makes them about the same price as the ors. And yes you don't need the camo but was just curious how the Sitka performed.

Mike7

WKR
My wife has the OR Verglas and I have the Kennetreks and OR Crocs. For an "all-around do everything" hunting gaiter, I would give the edge to the OR Crocs out of this group. I don't notice them being loud now (maybe they were the first week off the shelf). Amazingly I've only torn the upper gortex part once, busting through brush upland bird hunting, and frankly I think I would have torn thick cotton canvas during that fall through a bush. A little silnet seam sealer and they are working as good as new again.

If you don't need waterproof, then maybe get the light breathable trail running gaiters like Aron uses early season. I just started trying the REI trail running gaiters, and seem to like them so far but I need more experience with them...and they are not designed for prolonged wet or deep wet snow exposure.

G Posik

WKR
I have a pair of the Sitka's, got them as a gift. they are just as good as the OR pair I have. I agree the camo is not needed but they do keep feet dry, laces tied and lower pant legs dry. They held up well being worn in some rought country (Rocks/Brush). I do not find them to be that loud. I do not think I would rank them higher or lower than the kennetrek or OR's.

Glenn

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My wife and I have both been using the OR Verglas for several years. Lighter and less expensive than the OR crocs and work just fine. Give you a bit more time and free board when crossing creeks and protect your rain pants a bit also when battling alders and devils clubs.

I'm looking into the kennetreks, I heard kuiu was bringing some out and I would probably go with those, haven't heard anything of them ina while though.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are killing me. I'm trying to decide between 3 gaiters and all 3 are listed here with all good reviews.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also like the Kenetreks. You would think they might be noisy, but they really aren't in the field. They have been tough and durable for me.

I'll give the Kenetreks another vote. Never used gaiters until this last year's elk hunt, and after one day of use, it was obvious that they were an item that I should have been using for years. Made me wonder how I had managed nearly 30 years without them.

TJ

WKR
I'll give the Kenetreks another vote. Never used gaiters until this last year's elk hunt, and after one day of use, it was obvious that they were an item that I should have been using for years. Made me wonder how I had managed nearly 30 years without them.

Another vote for Kenetreks. I won't hunt without them now.

OP
pyroducksx3
I heard Kuiu dropped the gaitor? And basically this is what I gather.... All these gaitors work really good (OR, Sitka, kennetrek), performance possible equal? The OR verglas are the lightest, kennetrek (can't find weight) but have camo and mid-priced, Sitka work no better and are the most expensive and slightly heavier but match my rain gear camo ;) and with my discount cost the same as the other two. So would it be accurate to say that all these gaitor perform to the same level?