Gaiters

Culvers30

FNG
I need some advice on gaiters. I would like use them for hunting and xc skiing/snow shoeing so I would prefer non camo and some what quiet. I'm in a rural area so I'm stuck ordering online, so I can't test myself.

RUTTIN

WKR
Core4 is coming out with some in September that are grey in color and you will be able to order them right from their website.

Wrongside

WKR
OR Crocs are the standard for good reason. Great design and execution. Unreal warranty. They're on the loud side when new, but soften up nicely with use. Can be had in Coyote Brown and Black, I believe.

OR Crocs are hard to beat.

I've used a couple different types of "hunting" gaiters and they either didn't hold up or their finish allowed snow and ice to build up and I ended up going back to the 15+ year old Crocs. Have never noticed them being loud.

Last edited:
I've gone through a bunch. Two favorites are the mountain hardware pinnicale and kuiu.

Kuiu is probably my favorite, but mountainhard is just a little tougher over all

I have the ones from kennetrek. They have worked well for me, I have not had any problems at all. Some seem to not like them... but I cannot remember what they specifically didn't like.

joe

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kenneteks are tough to beat in the snow/ mud but for just keeping dew off your pants they are over kill

dotman

WKR
I have OR crocs, Kuiu and REI gaiters. Rei are best value for the budget minded and the OR are best quality and will last forever. Kuiu are ok but I tend to always use my OR crocs over the other two. Actually gave my REI ones to a buddy and the Kuiu collect dust but I can't get myself to sell them.

I'll probably use the Kuiu for hunting only and the OR for everything else but it will be hard to leave the OR's home.

Last edited:
OP
C

Culvers30

FNG
I was considering the OR endurance but am concerned about them being a do it all gaiter, as in their performance in snow sports

Zbowman1

WKR
I have the OR Crocs also and love them, but the little velcro peace down by the toe has pulled apart and sometimes this allows the velcro that holds the gators together to split. They still work great though.

sk1

WKR
I have the ones from kennetrek. They have worked well for me, I have not had any problems at all. Some seem to not like them... but I cannot remember what they specifically didn't like.

joe

it was the top clasp to keep them tight.....absolutely horrible. or maybe you just know the trick but i couldn't stand them. i love my kuiu gaiters, but honestly if that top clasp on the kenetrek ones were anything different than what it is, i would still be using them.

for a multipurpose gaiter i think the durability of the OR Croc is hard to beat, a bit noisy for my taste though.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My OR Verglas do everything I expect of a gaiter and they are well made. They are lightweight, keep my dry and they breathe as well as any gaiters I have.

Ironman8

WKR
What are the gaiters that you see Aron wear in all the vids? They look like they compress over the pants legs which seem like it would be good to keep out grit and bugs, ect.

older vids he's usually wearing OR flextex but he has started running the OR endurance that ive been running since '13 started. theyre awesome.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aron ran REI trail running Gaitors for years. They used to be super. This years version have been made poorly and don't last thru a couple of hints. The OR endurance are solid, but if the strap fails there is no way to repair like the REI trail running type. Hopefully they will hold up to the rocks.