Gaiters? What do you feel is the main purpose

I hate hiking with wet feet- and the even worse putting on wet or frozen boots the next morning when trying to get out of the tent.

I used to feel gaiters are just to keep most of the snow on a trail to not enter shoes/boots. However 2 and a half tubs of water proofing and several pairs of boots later I feel gaiters are made to be more like soccer shin guards. Do you see them to be the latest accessory to show brand commitment or am I using them all wrong?

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brand accessory-Huh?

I won't hunt without them. They keep your socks/feet from wetting out. Hiking and brushing against wet vegetation will soak through your pants and then to your socks no matter how WP your boots are. Where I hunt it's almost always wet.

I started wearing them again whether it’s dry or wet. Keeps my lower legs dry in those early morning frost meadows and helps keep bugs, dirt, stickers out of my boots. I used to wear them only when it was raining or late season in the snow. I wear them no matter what now.

wapitibob

WKR
I wear gaiters for debris. I haven't found a gaiter yet that covers the toe box hinge point which is where water has entered in most, if not all the leaking boots I've had.

sr80

WKR
They also protect the lower leg portion of your pants from getting thrashed and torn, as well as all mentioned above. I always wear mine as well, unless it is really hot and i am above treeline.

crich

WKR
I dont rely on them for crossing water like some claim. They keep moisture/mud off my lower pant leg and keep debris out. When it's super wet and I have a rain pant on, they will be the first line of defense from my rain gear soaking through from constant wet grass contact.

I don't give a hoot about brand I just want shit that works well.

Last edited:

Jethro

WKR
All of the reasons stated above. Adding I have my old pair sprayed down with permethrin, giving me tick protection. I'm ready to ditch them for the summer. I wear them Sept - May.

Out west I'll even wear them when in camp. Let all the passerby's know I mean business. ;)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Gaiters work well for keeping moister from wicking down my socks and into my boots in wet grass/brush. But, they make my feet and legs sweat. Added to water proof boots, after a day or two I would rather just have wet feet.

When there is enough snow that I know I will posthole some, but not enough to justify skis, and the weather is still cool, that is when I feel gaiters are best.

OR Crocodile Gaiters have been the most functional. I have some Kenetreks, they have far few miles on them than the ORs and are already falling apart.

This year I have been training with some La Sportiva approach shoes (to include 150 pound rucks). The shoes dry fast without a waterproof membrane, but the low top lets rocks and junk in. I think I'm going to pare them with my low running gaiter's and see how I like it on an upcoming multi day scouting trip.

In the end they are one more tool and preference comes into play. I also hate sweating in rain gear and prefer to just get soaked; this in part comes from busting brush in the rain and I end up soaked anyway. Rain gear is nice in open country.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
What approach shoes?

I will second the get over the wet feet mental block. Wet feet are just part of being in the wilderness. As long as your feet aren't sopping wet you’ll be fine (if they are stop, wring out socks, wring out insoles. Use a moisturizer at night (i use badger balm) to keep your wet feet from drying too fast and cracking. I have worn non waterproof approach shoes in Alaska for 2 month straight with wet feet and its a non issue. Gaiters are fine if you want to fiddle with another piece of gear but not necessary. Protecting my shins from brush slapping against was favorite thing about gaiters but is it worth adding 5.5 ounces to each foot plus a couple more ounces when wet. Now my footwear is 38 ounces instead of 31 ounces. Boots are still gonna be wet regardless so add in 9 ounces of water they absorb after going through swamp and now I have a 47 ounces on each foot. I’ll also add that a liner sock and a thin sock dry faster than a single thick sock. Just my 2 cent. People say they are a “must have” but i disagree. Buy a synthetic boot that will dry in 6 hours of dry weather

Wrench

WKR
Wear some quiet clothes like first lite merino without gaiters in north Idaho. You better be a descendant of Betsy Ross....because you'll be sewing that tattered stuff back together.

Or wear gaiters.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What approach shoes?
La Sportiva TX Guide. The tread is not the best for mud, but excellent on rock.

Salomon Speed Cross has better overall traction, but I get blisters on the balls of my feet once I add a heavy pack.

I always wear gaiters, every hunt. I have a few different pairs for early/mid/late season. I don’t understand the hate. They serve a lot of purposes:
- keep debris out of boots
- save some wear on your pant bottoms
- keep ticks out of you pants (mine are always heavily treated with permethrin)
- keep boots dry from wet grass/brush, whether from rain or just frost/dew
- keep snow out of boots in late season
- good for fast creek crossings

What’s the disadvantage? Another grown man judging you because of your clothes? 😂

shwacker

FNG
They often make my feet more wet (sweat) especially if goretex or similar. The exception is lots of high wet vegetation. For longer trips or more nasty terrain they are really nice to keep the inside of my boots clean, which I think is actually somewhat important. In snow I consider them essential (or built in gaiter boot).

TaperPin

WKR
I agree with everyone - essential equipment to keep lower legs from icing up and stuff out of the top of your boots. I think it also helps hold in some heat, or at least prevent heat from being constantly vented out.

The short, soft, non waterproof ones are great for hiking in shorts to keep dirt and stuff from getting in your boots.

I haven’t had wet feet since getting turned onto gortex socks that are worn over regular socks. Essential equipment.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I elk hunt in a lot of sagebrush. Gaiters seem to help keep my boot laces from coming untied.
So, when you tie a bow, make the standard single wrap/twist for the half knot, make sure to be tying a square knot (no granny knots), but on the top, add a second wrap/twist for the bow loops and pull tight.

If you look up a surgeons knot, this is basically an inverted surgeons knot using loops.

You can pull it out by the ends almost as easily as a standard shoe lace knot, but I have yet to have it come untied inadvertently.