GAINING weight and maintaining endurance

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Rippetoe is the way!
If you can tolerate dairy, drink half to full gallon of milk per day with what you typically eat. Get on a strength program like starting strength, 3x5 reps and add 5# on squats every time you get in the gym and take long rests. Getting all out stronger will put muscle on your frame. Also if you’re super lean you’re gonna need to put on some fat if you want muscle. I’d recommend strength training 3x a week with 3 easy cardio sessions to maintain some endurance. Once you get close to an acceptable body weight/strength level drop down to 2 strength sessions per week and 4 days of endurance.
yep, do this

S.Clancy

WKR
Adding muscle (or any) tissue is absolutely going to affect cardio and endurance. More tissue requires more oxygen.

IMO, the best course of action for you would be to run a good strength program (5/3/1 or something similar) and really crank on your strength to BW ratio. That matters most in the mountains anyway. You will gain a bit of weight, but being strong at a lower BW would be better than the same strength at a higher BW.

Clarktar

WKR
Hey guys. I’ve hunted all my life and my endurance/cardio is 100% my strong suit. The problem is, I am extremely thin. I’m 5’11 and weigh 135 on a good day. I’m young, so I may naturally fill out as I get older but I’m looking for someone who knows exactly what to do in order to build mass and strength but not lose my endurance in the process.

I know it comes down to ensuring I’m not in a caloric deficit and lifting weights or doing some strength training, but I’d like to talk to someone who knows their stuff and can actually build me some sort of plan.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd check in with Todd B. At Hunter Predator Packmule.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gberb18

FNG
I'm in the same boat with you being skinny. I am 23 now and have been in the gym for almost 2 years straight doing push pull legs lifting rotation and hit the gym hard. However, i'm sure you understand, eating enough is a challenge. I think about how much more progress I would have made in the gym if I would take my diet as seriously as the gym. At 20 I was probably 5'7 140 and now at 23, I am 5'9 and maintain 160. I drink a crapload of vitamin D/whole milk (I love dairy) and eat a lot of greek yogurt. Also drinking a couple of protein shakes every day. Groceries get expensive fast especially if you're trying to eat representable meals and not just frozen crap with questionable ingredients. But at the end of the day, calories are king. There's lots of information online on how to clean bulk as a skinny dude. Watch some youtubers and see what their daily workout routine and diet consists of, and just remember that the only way your body can grow is if you feed it the correct nutrients. Nutrition is king.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re in good hands with Kyle.

I used to be pretty skinny (45-50 years ago! :ROFLMAO:). When I went to college I made a couple of very good friends that were on the football team. I ended up lifting with them, eating with them and running with them (literally running with them, they ran more than what you might think).

After a couple of semesters, I wasn’t skinny anymore. High caloric intake, lifting that concentrated on large compound movements (deads, squats, bench, overhead press) and running did the trick. Of course being 19 probably contributed as well.

One side benefit of hanging with these guys were the professors thought I was on the football team. I never lied and said I was, but if that’s what they thought and I benefited from it a little bit …… :D

Seeknelk

WKR
What other said!
Get the Starting Strength App and a couple of the the books. Follow the dang program to a T and don't totally ignore aerobic work by any means. A gallon of whole milk a day is mentioned in there if you tolerate it well. But focus on strength and eat to gain that strength without being too obsessed with weighing more and you'll end up with a great strength/weight ratio. Don't complicate the program or take shortcuts, it's very simple and effective but not "easy". I'm rather de-trained myself after last winter finding out I have cancer and a summer figuring out my new life.
But I am about to start the program and run it thru the winter until numbers are back where they belong. I have to get more cardio improvement than you tho.
P.S. I haven't used the app yet but it looks like it'll be very handy.