G5 Deadmeat vs QAD Exodus

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a lot lately and starting to mix broadheads in as well. I shot 1 deer with a qad exodus 3 years ago and it worked great. Though this year I wanted something different. So I picked up some G5 deadmeat broadheads. While tuning with the G5 deadmeat, it was hard to tell if it was the bow or me, so I grabbed an exodus out because that would show any imperfections. First shot at 56 yards it hits I mean you couldn't place it more dead center. I hadn't had a G5 hit dead center yet but that's probably just because of me. Now I don't really know what I want to do and would love some of your opinions. I shoot 72lbs with a 29in DL with a 515 grain arrow. What are your guys' thoughts on the 2 broadheads for my style of hunting. I like the slightly bigger cut of the G5 in case I hit a little back. But also like the exodus cause it gives me the cofidence I can punch through his scap if needed. I am probably just gonna put 2 dots on my target and shoot them side by side and slowly back up and see which one I like better. Because my confidence over everything. But just curious what you guys think.

Luked

WKR
For me deer hunting I want a big cutting area.
I'm using Sevr this year myself, but my brother is using the Deadmeats.
I think personally you would be fine with either really. It all is up to you and what you have confidence in.
Biggest thing that i didn't care for on the Deadmeat heads is the little blue clip thing they have. I can see an issue with that in some cases possibly
I know the guys that use them have some crazy blood trails with them though thats for sure.

Last edited:

RC_

FNG
Either is fine for whitetails with your setup. You seem to have a lot of confidence in the exodus (as many of us on here do) and if your bow is already tuned for them then it may make sense to just rock those. If you can tune to the point that both have the same POI then throw both in your quiver. One gives up a little penetration and durability for larger cut (larger margin or error, better blood trail). Both will more than kill a WT if you do your part.
I’ll likely have Exodus in my quiver this year.

Reactions: Zac

Bump79

WKR
I love having 2 broadheads in my quiver. Each setup is a little different.

Zac

WKR
This never changes. Always shoot a field tip with your broadheads. Not just once either. Fire your broadhead first followed with a field tip. Repeat this same sequence around 5 or 6 times. You will see a trend based on where your broadhead is hitting. I would bet that if your QAD is on, the G5 will be as well.

preach

FNG
I’m carrying Grim Reaper Pro Micro Hades 3-blades for elk, but Deadmeats for whitetail this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
This never changes. Always shoot a field tip with your broadheads. Not just once either. Fire your broadhead first followed with a field tip. Repeat this same sequence around 5 or 6 times. You will see a trend based on where your broadhead is hitting. I would bet that if your QAD is on, the G5 will be as well.
I agree. But at different dots... I've ruined too many broadheads and targets aiming at the same spot. You'll shear off even the highest quality machined head into a target hitting it from the rear sometimes. They just aren't designed to take a force that direction. I've got 4 torn up broadhead targets.. two from S7 tool steel heads I had to find.

Side note - If you have to cut a broadhead target up you can get banding to tighten it back up. works great!

Zac

WKR
I agree. But at different dots... I've ruined too many broadheads and targets aiming at the same spot. You'll shear off even the highest quality machined head into a target hitting it from the rear sometimes. They just aren't designed to take a force that direction. I've got 4 torn up broadhead targets.. two from S7 tool steel heads I had to find.

Side note - If you have to cut a broadhead target up you can get banding to tighten it back up. works great!
Yeah I’ve got multiple Iron will heads with chips out of the rear due to this. I still prefer to do it this way. I guess it’s just more visually appealing.

If your exodus is going where it needs without effort, use that. Your nerves or fatigue might make the deadmeat go farther off if its already giving you trouble. Exodus was great for me 2 years ago.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
If your exodus is going where it needs without effort, use that. Your nerves or fatigue might make the deadmeat go farther off if its already giving you trouble. Exodus was great for me 2 years ago.
I shot a bunch last night. And found my sight tape was a little off. So after getting that dialed in and then shooting the G5 that will be my broadhead this year. 2 last shots were dead on at 40. So im confident now

Ho5tile1

WKR
Not even a thought for me qad all the way even if dead meat wanted to pay me to shoot there heads I wouldn’t. I’ve seen to many mechanicals fail from my own bow and my friends bows. We all switched to 550 grains and cut on contact heads I started with qad went to Magnus now for the last few years iron will we will never go bad to a mechanical head one of my buddies still using the qad great heads but hell on targets good luck

BKM

FNG
I’m a big fan of the DeadMeat head, I think it’s the best head on the market. The blend of great cut size, penetration, and forgiving nature of a mechanical in awkward hunting situations is second to none.

As stated above you can’t go wrong with either but it’s my choice 100% of the time

fatlander

WKR
At your specs, there’s no way I’d be worried about a deer scapula. You’re putting more energy into the dirt on the other side of deer than needed with a fixed head.

At your specs, there’s no way I’d be worried about a deer scapula. You’re putting more energy into the dirt on the other side of deer than needed with a fixed head.

This. OP is going to punch right through and plow into the dirt on the other side with either Broadhead.

I love the dead meat heads. They work great on elk. Shot two elk with them one at 56 yards and another at 32. No pass throughs but great penetration on both didn't go more than 40 yards. 70lb draw, 430 grain arrow

nphunter

WKR
Dead Meat 100%. I’ve killed multiple mature bulls with them, one through the front of a bulls shoulder. My kid had passed through two 4 point mule deer with a 400gr arrow and dead meat heads with a sub 50lb bow at 29”. I’ve cleaned up a couple after blowing through elk and you couldn’t even tell they had been shot.

40 yards through the front shoulder
53221A31-1CFF-42A4-9BBE-6D41A390EFA3.jpeg
BF3FADD6-866D-4E00-BD74-9ED870E844B9.jpeg

58 yards
15CCC637-E305-4FF6-84D6-6C6F1D7890E2.jpeg
After going through the above bull
9DF06D57-7B37-43EC-A745-4243FE654ED0.jpeg

60 yards
C0FDE7A5-859F-4CBF-B842-780DBDC334DD.jpeg

A0190709-92E7-4A3E-B5C1-05A6FFBD3AA2.jpeg
After passing through the buck above
F6A783F5-5535-46DA-AA41-E713AF88924F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have no experience shooting mechanicals but I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot one of the dead meat heads. When they are open they actually look similar to my exodus swept.