G5 and sevr 1.5

truthcrab

FNG
Hi, I know these 2 broadheads have been talked about a million times. G5 are more readily available and cheaper in my area. I've heard dead meat are 1 and done. Was curious who has shot dead meats and/or sevr 1.5". How many animals have you taken with the same broad head. I shoot bowtech core ss 27.5"dl 63lb dw. Can this setup handle megameat for whitetail?
Thanks in advance

ATL

FNG
I used a mechanical BH for the first time last season (fixed blades only since 1992), a Sevr 1.5. I was impressed with the results on a Kentucky Whitetail buck with a 27” draw, 65#, 428 gr. arrow. Easy full pass through with A LOT of blood on the ground. I am using them again this year, just had to replace the blades on that particular head.

I did sharpen the blades myself with a Stay Sharp Guide and several grades of fine sandpaper. I believe that made a large difference in performance.

I have no experience with the G5 Deadmeat, but they would have been my second choice if I did not decide on Sevr.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
truthcrab

truthcrab

FNG
I used a mechanical BH for the first time last season (fixed blades only since 1992), a Sevr 1.5. I was impressed with the results on a Kentucky Whitetail buck with a 27” draw, 65#, 428 gr. arrow. Easy full pass through with A LOT of blood on the ground. I am using them again this year, just had to replace the blades on that particular head.

I did sharpen the blades myself with a Stay Sharp Guide and several grades of fine sandpaper. I believe that made a large difference in performance.

I have no experience with the G5 Deadmeat, but they would have been my second choice if I did not decide on Sevr.
Cheers,
I was leaning to sevr. But being in Canada they are pretty costly to get to my door. Deadmeats are readily available at my bow shop. Cheaper but I have heard they are generally 1 and done after passing through an animal. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I shot an elk at 27 yards with a Sevr 1.5. Went in between two ribs, one blade caught a rib on the way out. Arrow was in the dirt behind where the elk had been, no rocks or anything hit. The Sevr blade that hit a rib was bent slightly, couldn't really see it just looking but the blades would not unlock and swivel back into the ferrule. But the ferrule was still nice and sharp on the end and still spun true. New blades in it and it went back into the quiver.
I always consider replaceable blade BH's one and done for the blades, even if they seem okay I'm going to replace them. The ferrules I'll reuse if they aren't dinged up and still spin true.

I have not shot anything with a Deadmeat yet but do have some of them, V1 version. Don't know yet if the ferrules hold up very well or not. The blades on them out of the package are much sharper than Sevr blades, I touch up Sevr blades right out of the package but would hunt the Deadmeats right out of the package.
I will say that the blue retainers that hold the blades wear out very quickly, if you snap the blades out of them maybe only two or three times just messing around with them, then the blades get loose in them. I've read several threads about them flying horribly for some people and I think it is because they have the blue retainer wore out simply from checking them out when they first buy them, and then it allows a blade or two to deploy when the arrow launches off the bow. So I have made it a point that a Deadmeat that goes into my quiver has a brand new blue collar that has only had the blades snapped into it once.