G10 Colorado

jmart5687

FNG
I was fortunate enough to draw a G10 3rd season either sex tag. If anyone has any helpful advice on the unit I.e, scouting pointers, areas that are better or worse, lodging/spiking out, etc…. If there are any other tag holders on here I would love to collaborate and ensure success for all of us. I’m really wanting to do the diy hunt although there are outfitters that hunt the area, my biggest obstacle is going to be finding time to scout as I have 2 y/o twins and my wife and I both work full time. Regardless it’s going to be great!!!! TYIA

squirrel

WKR
walk up quandary with a walking stick and a knife, pee on a rock tape stick/knife together spear the biggest one licking the rock? CPW has neutered the unit in those first couple years it was allowed so you are just after a goat, as in most every other unit. If you want to make it difficult you can, there is a lot to be said for doing just that.

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
walk up quandary with a walking stick and a knife, pee on a rock tape stick/knife together spear the biggest one licking the rock? CPW has neutered the unit in those first couple years it was allowed so you are just after a goat, as in most every other unit. If you want to make it difficult you can, there is a lot to be said for doing just that.
I definitely have heard about the goats on Quandary. I’ve also heard a lot of hunters head straight for it. I however will be getting off the beaten path looking for an old grouch of a Billy.

squirrel

WKR
If you define "old grouch" as >3 then it can still be done. Just keep in mind when you check in your goat that sometimes (most actually) the lowest girl on the office totem pole is doing the measuring and ring counting. Thats why all of those 7" billies are 8-9 yrs old with dried milk on their lips...

In defence of 20 year old office bimbos I sure wish they would note when tip(s) are broken off skewing the stats and making one guess based on the H measurements/spread if it was a good goat.

Hard to believe that not one 10" goat in the whole state last year with such super genetics and nutrition, when the old G-7 used to produce 3-4/year by itself.

When they gonna decide "you know we have WAY too many moose". RUN Bullwinkle RUN!

OP
jmart5687

jmart5687

FNG
How’d the hunt go?
Sorry for the delayed response. The hunt went well. Saw goats everyday, however a lot of them were in places that couldn’t safely be reached. I had a few tips on where some Billies were hanging out only to be ghosted. On day 4 I lucked out on this 5 y/o 8” Billy.

Attachments

• IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 58