Future of Gunsmiths in Canada

IslandBoi

FNG
Are there any Canadian gunsmiths on here who can share a bit of insight on what getting into the business is like in Canada?

-have the changes/potential changes imposed by the government affected your ability to make a living?
-to newer gunsmiths do you worry about future restrictions ending your ability to make a living?
-any other random advice or insights someone with no experience could benefit from.

I love firearms and would love to learn to make a living building/ working on them, but it seems a little risky to me to dedicate a large portion of time learning a skill for an industry our government seems to be creating a heavy head wind for. I am by nature a little pessimistic, so was hoping someone with more real world experience could straighten me out.

Cheers

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
In short, the liberal government wants to remove all of our guns and has already made it impossible to purchase or sell handguns and most "scary" looking rifles. Somehow they seem to be able to pass these laws with no votes from the public. Our only hope is a conservative government in 2025.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking to work on AR's and pistols the future definitely isn't very promising. If you want to work on bolt guns and shotguns you should have no end of work. I looked into becoming a smith when I got out of high school. I was talked out of it...wish I wouldn't have listened. A lot of really good gunsmiths in Canada are closing in on retirement and there's not a lot of young guys coming up to replace them. If it interests you I say go for it.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
If you're looking to work on AR's and pistols the future definitely isn't very promising. If you want to work on bolt guns and shotguns you should have no end of work. I looked into becoming a smith when I got out of high school. I was talked out of it...wish I wouldn't have listened. A lot of really good gunsmiths in Canada are closing in on retirement and there's not a lot of young guys coming up to replace them. If it interests you I say go for it.
Good Point!

Reactions: WCS

Decker9

WKR
I’m by no means a gunsmith, but have been learning to build walnut stocks the past few years. Iv had quite a few people inquire about building stocks, makes me hopeful the market will be around in years to come when I’m confident enough to dig into someone else’s blank lol.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
I’m by no means a gunsmith, but have been learning to build walnut stocks the past few years. Iv had quite a few people inquire about building stocks, makes me hopeful the market will be around in years to come when I’m confident enough to dig into someone else’s blank lol.
Love to hear it man.

As someone who's made a pretty solid career out of a passion...

Be careful that you don't ruin it for yourself.

I still love what I do (custom carpentry and woodworking) but the number of times I go out to the shop planning to mess with something for myself and actually just have a glass of whiskey, or mess with hunt and fishing gear, or work on a vehicle is far more than going out and working on my own stuff.

I have no regrets, but it makes me real aware of monetizing other hobbies.