Future Alaska hunt

Slim Jim

WKR
I will be going to the ISE here in Vegas in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to talk with some outfitters about a combo hunt for 2015. My question is, is there any way to put a down payment on a hunt and pay for it along the way up until the hunt? Next, is there a trustworthy outfitter that won't take your money and is good? Really want to hunt in Alaska for moose and brown/griz.

Daniel_M

WKR
You have plenty of time to book and research, but based on what your wants are- why not do a DIY drop or float hunt?

While brown/grizz would require a guide, moose does not. Guided your lookin at $12k for moose and an additional $3-6 for a secondary species of bear.

You could still have an epic moose/caribou hunt and save yourself several thousand dollars in the end.

But to answer your original question, almost all guides take a % down, remainder at the time of the hunt. Usually 50%, comes to mind.

Daniel_M

WKR
If you have any questions feel free to drop me a message. I will always urge a fellow hunter to do it himself. It is very doable if you apply the time and research.

The next best thing to recommend is a hunt planner. A fellow resident hunter whos passion is planning hunts and can help you knock it out of the park.

shaun

WKR
Jim, I just felt with all this in Alaska for my 2014 trip. If you are planning on 2015 any portion of money down up until a year from the date of your hunt than you must have 50% down. I would reccomend a fly in drop camp hunt for moose guides are over rated you don't have a choice on the brownies though

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks guys, all my hunts are DIY but Alaska I don't know where to begin and it is a dream of mine to hunt moose, sheep and bear up there. I guess I should start researching and PMing all you Alaska guys and gals(Becca).

RyanC

WKR
It has already been said but if you're a DIY guy and want to get your feet wet in AK on your own Larry is the guy to set you up. A good combo hunt would be Moose and Caribou with a possible wolf. Larry is a hunt planner and knows where to put people based on hunt goals and expectations. If you are dead set on sheep or bear in 2015, start saving your coin and doing your research on guides in AK.

Ryan

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, man, if you're planning a DIY Alaska hunt for moose and/or caribou it's doable. Most air charters would ask for a 20-30% deposit to put you on the books for 2015, but they may not want it until winter/spring 2014.

I do offer Hunt Planning consultation, and I do a very limited number of groups each year. However, we are booked for 2013 and 2014. 2015 is still a question, and that decision will be a hard one to make. If I go on with Kryptek Outdoor Group full time, I'll have to adjust my business model profile for Pristine Ventures to accommodate my roles within Kryptek. If you're interested at all, just revisit my website for updates and services.

All that said, you'll want to narrow down your options based on group size, budget, and specific species. Expect additional costs beyond logistics to comprise roughly $1000-$1500 for misc expenditures, such as food, lodging, commercial airfare, meat/antler shipping, etc.

Expect harvest success to be 50% on moose and 75-90% on caribou. If you focus on one species only, moose success can be as high as 75-10%, but don't expect better than 50% overall. caribou only trips should be 100% if you do your homework.

Hope this helps.

Larry
http://www.pristineventures.com

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Yeah, man, if you're planning a DIY Alaska hunt for moose and/or caribou it's doable. Most air charters would ask for a 20-30% deposit to put you on the books for 2015, but they may not want it until winter/spring 2014.

I do offer Hunt Planning consultation, and I do a very limited number of groups each year. However, we are booked for 2013 and 2014. 2015 is still a question, and that decision will be a hard one to make. If I go on with Kryptek Outdoor Group full time, I'll have to adjust my business model profile for Pristine Ventures to accommodate my roles within Kryptek. If you're interested at all, just revisit my website for updates and services.

All that said, you'll want to narrow down your options based on group size, budget, and specific species. Expect additional costs beyond logistics to comprise roughly $1000-$1500 for misc expenditures, such as food, lodging, commercial airfare, meat/antler shipping, etc.

Expect harvest success to be 50% on moose and 75-90% on caribou. If you focus on one species only, moose success can be as high as 75-10%, but don't expect better than 50% overall. caribou only trips should be 100% if you do your homework.

Hope this helps.

Larry
http://www.pristineventures.com

Thanks Larry, I'll be contacting you

Snyd

WKR
Lots of good info. I'll add one thing though. If you've never killed anything bigger than a deer or even elk it helps to have someone with some knowledge and experience when dealing with a 1500-1800lb dead animal. Especially if he dies in a swamp or river, and/or far from your raft, atv, boat, etc.

You can figure out logistics, etc of a DIY hunt, getting here/there is the easy part. After the critter is down it's a different ball game. It's a lot of work in a good scenario like say, dead bull on gravel bar. But, add in other factors like high or low water, splash moose, weather, remoteness, bugs, bears, etc. and a fun hunt can turn sour pretty quickly. I've had my hands on 20+ dead ones and have done 3 solo.

All I'm saying is make sure you know what you're singing up for if you want to do a DIY moose hunt and have a good partner or 2 that are assets, not liabilities.

peace