Fur friendly 223 for bobcat

hobbes

WKR
A shotgun with TSS load would be my preference if hunting thick enough country that long-range isn't an option. You would be surprised at the range it's effective. I'd start with Foxtrot Ammo.

The .17 HMR CCI hollow points are not near as explosive as 17 gr V-Max (plastic tipped) bullets. They are (or were) available in 17 and 20 gr versions. Buy a box of each and check accuracy. One will outshoot the other, but you have to try them. The 17 V-Max is an excellent small rodent round but not what I’d take calling bobcats.

I’ve had good luck shooting the 50 grain bosler Ballitic tip. We shoot it out of 5 different guns in the 22 cal and as long as you put the bullet it a good spot you’ll be alright. I always take frontals when I can and if they’re broadside square in the shoulder

TheGDog

WKR
BTW... .223 Rem with I believe it was a 62gr TSX load. I was there for last day of my deer tag that season and nothing all day. Then at like 2:30p this female comes creeping on thru by one of the trees I know the range of at 25yds. So because my goal with to try for a deer in this close-range area, with a .223 Rem, that's why I was carrying the 62gr.

Like I said... it did the job certainly, but was WAY more damage than you'd like to see, I'd think. I would be curious though to see what the 35gr NTX loading would do though. But again there, I still think you'd very much want to purposefully try to avoid busting thru the shoulders, just because of how much more potential damage it can do with those extra bone pieces flying around. This pic here, the round literally removed a couple sections of the spine on this cat. Hence the wide hole damage from those bone structures I'm sure "grenading" a bit.
Bobcat Wound CROPD.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
A shotgun with TSS load would be my preference if hunting thick enough country that long-range isn't an option. You would be surprised at the range it's effective. I'd start with Foxtrot Ammo.
Hey... ya think that TSS Turkey ammo would be a decent choice also if trying to pop a yote in similar terrain? I looked at it and it was #7, but since it's Tungsten does that make that #7 be heavy enough for coyote as well?

hobbes

WKR
Hey... ya think that TSS Turkey ammo would be a decent choice also if trying to pop a yote in similar terrain? I looked at it and it was #7, but since it's Tungsten does that make that #7 be heavy enough for coyote as well?
I would probably go with 6s for coyote but check in with Brice at Foxtrot and he'll know what's been working

z987k

WKR
I started using Barnes for everything years ago, they work great on predators with minimal pelt damage. I've shot fox's and bobcats with the 95gr LRX from a 6 Creed and it's just a little dime sized exit that can be easily sewn up. It you catch a rib or something you may get a quarter size exit but again nothing that can't be sewn up.

With the Barnes you've got a bullet that works on anything without fear of pelt damage so you can target multiple species with the same rifle and ammo. Doesn't matter with a little bobcat or fox or a wolf comes into your call, the result will be the same.
If you just want a pass through without expansion, why not FMJs?

If you just want a pass through without expansion, why not FMJs?

The Barnes do expand and do massive internal damage, they just don’t blow the side out of animals on exit and ruin hides and meat. FMJ’s zip through doing little organ damage, hunting with FMJ’s is dumb AF.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
The Barnes do expand and do massive internal damage, they just don’t blow the side out of animals on exit and ruin hides and meat. FMJ’s zip through doing little organ damage, hunting with FMJ’s is dumb AF.

Lol no shit. I had to tell an ex military guy the other day he shouldn’t use FMJs for coyotes and he acted like I was crazy. I was like dude they are literally designed to do the least amount of damage as possible.

IW17

FNG
Sorry but fmj will absolutely destroy a bobcat. They're not hard to kill. So much so that I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to save the hide. Stick to smaller calibers.

This is what a fmj does to a bobcat. They're thin skinned animals. You're only hope would be if you got a clean pass through without hitting any bone. Frontal shot, bullet deflected.20230202_010705.jpg

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Sorry but fmj will absolutely destroy a bobcat. They're not hard to kill. So much so that I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to save the hide. Stick to smaller calibers.

This is what a fmj does to a bobcat. They're thin skinned animals. You're only hope would be if you got a clean pass through without hitting any bone. Frontal shot, bullet deflected.

View attachment 520533
Dayum... Wise move to cover up your face on this pic. Even though we all know what the reality can sometimes be, the freakin granola, tree-hugger, Karen's of this world would lose their damn minds over viewing a pic like this.

IW17

FNG
Dayum... Wise move to cover up your face on this pic. Even though we all know what the reality can sometimes be, the freakin granola, tree-hugger, Karen's of this world would lose their damn minds over viewing a pic like this.
Fixed for the sake of Karen's everywhere. They're sensitive creatures after all👍