Funny pack story

I ordered a Kifaru Timberline 2 about 6 weeks ago. I had been researching a new pack since last summer and finally pulled the trigger on one. My wife is such a good sport, and doesn’t just put up with all of my rambling and researching about gear, bows, boots, tents, etc… she actually listens. That’s pretty cool, especially on a day like today. We were driving in the car and, like a kid at Christmas, I was reminding her for the 20th time that my pack should show up sometime this week. Then she starts telling me this story:

“Some of the guys at work were talking about a new backpack coming out. It sounds really cool. It is super lightweight, using some sort of material that is made to mimic spider silk- with a crazy strength to weight ratio. And supposedly it has frame stays made out of some new composite material that has never been used before, I forget the details, but it’s going to be the lightest, strongest frame on the planet. Frame stays? That’s what they are called, right? Anyway, I figured you might know what they are talking about”.

“Really?” I asked. I’m starting to get nervous at this point, since I had just done all the research and ordered what I thought to be the best possible pack for me. This pack sounded too good to be true, and I really couldn’t afford to go through the process again. The gearhead in me always seems to want the coolest stuff.

“Yeah. I heard them talking about some Reaper guy who used it to pack out a rhinoceros quarter over 10 miles…”

At that point she couldn’t contain herself anymore and she busted up laughing. She totally had me going up to that point and she knew it. Funny lady. Maybe I should lighten up the gear talk around her and spare her from now on.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife says, isn't that duffle bag from the 60's good enough? We can sew on some comfortable shoulder straps out of some old seat belts. You have a good wife.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love it!! Good to know she is really listening to you, right? It's funny how much info you can pick up when you live with a "gear-do" like I do, and apparently your wife does as well :) At this point I feel fairly knowledgable about the gear we use, since I spend a fair bit of time using it for myself on our trips each season.
Back when I was just starting out though, I was really surprised when people I hardly knew would approach me and ask for advice about outdoor gear and I would realize I actually knew a few things and could give an intelligent answer or at least point them in the right direction, based largely on what I had heard Luke chatter on about with regards to the latest and greatest.

What a great story, your wife sounds like a keeper!

Mike7

WKR
Funny story! I'm sure my wife would love to pull that one on me, but she's usually pretty adept at tuning out any of my gear talk...or man-gear love as she calls it. She really enjoys having lightweight, comfortable, functional gear for herself for backpacking, but she doesn't care what it's made of or how I get it for her.