Full Waterproof (Non-Breathable) Rain Jacket Options

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
I'm very aware of their construction and that it's not what you're asking about, but they are not similar at all in their performance because the Arcteryx lines I mentioned actually keep you dry. Not all breathable waterproof stuff is created equally, the Arcteryx Alpha and Beta lines are truely 100% waterproof.

The suits you're interested in absolutely suck to wear, you might as well just wrap yourself in a trash bag. It's your money though so waste it as you please.
Arc'teryx and Sitka are both Gore companies - and the best shell Arc'teryx has is a 3L Gore Tex Pro. This is the exact same fabric the Sitka Stormfront series uses.

I understand Arc'teryx has been great for you and I'm super glad you found something you like! That doesn't change the fact it is still a membrane product

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
This is still a membrane with a dwr treatment, but good try shooting an ad out there!

Would love to see a hunting company make a heavy duty fully waterproof (non membrane, non breathable) rain jacket for brush busting nasty wet hunts in AK.

AK4570

FNG
Reading the replies to the OP, it is clear that most of the posters have not spent time in the AK backcountry during moose season. Nor yet the SE during... well... Any season!

Here's the deal: Membrane based "rain gear" just flat doesn't work when you're dealing with that level of constant moisture. If it did, you can bet that every single person in commercial fisheries would be wearing it. But they're not. Instead, they're in Grundens or HH.

Best regards, all.
John (still wearing Impertech and XtraTuffs when it rains in his new home state of MT)

Brendan

WKR
Reading the replies to the OP, it is clear that most of the posters have not spent time in the AK backcountry during moose season. Nor yet the SE during... well... Any season!

Here's the deal: Membrane based "rain gear" just flat doesn't work when you're dealing with that level of constant moisture. If it did, you can bet that every single person in commercial fisheries would be wearing it. But they're not. Instead, they're in Grundens or HH.

Best regards, all.
John (still wearing Impertech and XtraTuffs when it rains in his new home state of MT)
I've owned a lot of Gore-Tex and similar, and my Impertech failed and started leaking faster than any of them.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I suggest you look at Carharrt Storm Defender. I realize it isn't a rubber suit, but if Helle Hanson isn't your bag these are durable and you can be in downpour all day and stay comfortable.
I have been using mine for 4 or 5 years and just now am noticing it starting to hold a little water. I'll probably just try retreating with DWR but if that doesn't work I'll buy a new set.

In all honesty I haven't been to AK. I work outside all day probably more that the postman, in the wet and humid Ohio valley year round.. I know what your talking about though. I've used older goretex and have had it come through after being in the rain all day. I have newish goretex that hasn't done that. I won't spend goretex money on work coats though. I'm in too rough of an environment and it wouldn't last. I've tried REI "element" rain jackets and they won't breathe and you sweat to death. So I have just settled on using a Columbia rubberized non breathable jacket with pit zippers and Colombia rain bibs. The bibs are baggy and breathe out the pant leg cuff, out the top into the jacket and eventually out the pit zipper vents. I've had this system for over 2 years and no rips or tears. I layer under it in the winter. I've tried ponchos, but then from the shins down your soaked. There isn't anything sweatproof, waterproof and durable. If there is let me know!!

JoeDirt

WKR
Interested in hearing some thoughts or being pointed towards some products I may not know exist of Fully Waterproof and Non Breathable rain gear.

I know we could all go nuts talking about advantages and disadvantages of gore-tex or other membranes, but that's not what I want to discuss here, but feel free to open another thread for that if you wish.

I am interested in trying out some fully waterproof construction rain jacket. I know of essentially two options on the market.

1. Fully rubberized/pvc rain gear (Think Grundens Neptune or Helly Hansen Impertech).

2. UL backpacker type rain jackets made with Siliconized Nylon (Anti Gravity Gear). This one is a 70D inside and outside coated with silicone.

Are there others on the market that I am missing? For me the Rubberized gear is too clunky - it just doesn't seem to fit well. It's cheap and it's easily replaceable, which is a huge bonus. I haven't tried the UL backpacker style rain jackets, but on first impression it just seems like such light fabric and couldn't handle much wear and tear with the inevitable bush whacking during hunts. (After reading it was 70D SilNylon, I looked for comparibles, and that's the same denier and fabric style the Hilleberg Black Label Tents use...).

So what else is there?

Any jackets made of Xpac? Or other options between rubberized rain gear and UL fabrics?
What did you end up going with? I feel your pain stupid gortex/dwr fails me every time.

My best rain gear happens to be some $20 32degree brand from Costco

Just wish there was some fitted rain gear thats not baggy.

I saw Columbia outdry mentioned above, that’s another

I have searched the same search you are, we probably hunt similar climate, lots of full days of hard rain walking through wet brush… I don’t think there is a perfect solution. I have tried about everything, and the rubberized type coated materials still get pinholed out pretty quick… even grundens, I used to winter steelhead fish in the green Neptune pullover, but by the end of a season hold it up to a light and it looks like a bright clear sky with tons of stars (pinholes)

The gear that keeps me less damp than others is Yukon, but assume you’ve tried it already, hence the No membrane materials

There is no staying bone dry hunting wet climates crawling through wet brush, there are different levels of wet. Salmonberry and devil’s club is hell on rain gear (as well as blackberries here) I have spent a lot of money on different rain gears, and can relate to the frustration.

Even a brand new set of heavy grundens, after a long day in wet windy weather, you’ll be wet because water is coming in through the hood and eventually wetting out your whole torso and you will get some water intrusion in the sleeves and will have wet arms at day’s end. I’m on my 3rd set of Yukon and it’s all that holds up long term for me and keeps me less damp than others and usually get a couple seasons out of it, or close

One set didn’t last as long because I over dried it in the dryer, but that was dumb and my fault

I don’t think there is a solid bomb proof solution. The Columbia outdry is a cool material but it won’t hold up long term in the brush… most membrane materials are extremely fragile, and I’ve had a few that leaked new

Dryft makes a jacket made from their wader material, and their waders are bomb proof, but it’s black with bright lettering and still technically a membrane material

If they made a jacket and pants in the same material in earth tones, it would be the answer for me, but I don’t see that ever happening.

JoeDirt

WKR
I saw Columbia outdry mentioned above, that’s another

I have searched the same search you are, we probably hunt similar climate, lots of full days of hard rain walking through wet brush… I don’t think there is a perfect solution. I have tried about everything, and the rubberized type coated materials still get pinholed out pretty quick… even grundens, I used to winter steelhead fish in the green Neptune pullover, but by the end of a season hold it up to a light and it looks like a bright clear sky with tons of stars (pinholes)

The gear that keeps me less damp than others is Yukon, but assume you’ve tried it already, hence the No membrane materials

There is no staying bone dry hunting wet climates crawling through wet brush, there are different levels of wet. Salmonberry and devil’s club is hell on rain gear (as well as blackberries here) I have spent a lot of money on different rain gears, and can relate to the frustration.

Even a brand new set of heavy grundens, after a long day in wet windy weather, you’ll be wet because water is coming in through the hood and eventually wetting out your whole torso and you will get some water intrusion in the sleeves and will have wet arms at day’s end. I’m on my 3rd set of Yukon and it’s all that holds up long term for me and keeps me less damp than others and usually get a couple seasons out of it, or close

One set didn’t last as long because I over dried it in the dryer, but that was dumb and my fault

I don’t think there is a solid bomb proof solution. The Columbia outdry is a cool material but it won’t hold up long term in the brush… most membrane materials are extremely fragile, and I’ve had a few that leaked new

Dryft makes a jacket made from their wader material, and their waders are bomb proof, but it’s black with bright lettering and still technically a membrane material

If they made a jacket and pants in the same material in earth tones, it would be the answer for me, but I don’t see that ever happening.

I ended up going to Fishermans to find the Grudens Trident but they were all sold out.

However I did find a new Rivers West product that called the 40/40 jacket. Its a 600 Denier material infused with plastic. Seems fairly packable.
https://proshop.riverswest.com/product-p/5755.htm

Rivers West has screwed me over in the past but for $75 I figured I would try it out.

I got the pants too, they’re stupid baggy like normal rain gear.

IMG_6146.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6148.jpeg
    IMG_6148.jpeg
    671.1 KB · Views: 2