Full bore vs Sabots

tdhanses

WKR
Regarding full-bore, I've mentioned here about working with the Thor. I like the design from a controlled expansion and decent ballistic coefficient perspective. I can get a pretty good trajectory and terminal performance out to my max range of around 225 yds, for up to elk size game. What other full-bore bullets would you guys recommend that would perform in this envelope with a 1:28" twist barrel? I'm not sure a pure lead conical would be ideal, or am I mistaken? Any input from guys with real field experience is appreciated.

Again, I'm not talking about target shooting. I need something that performs on elk size game.
Check out Fury and Federal.

DCAABAC6-28B7-4F9D-89F9-AF13699AF732.jpeg87171A32-2DDC-4AF7-BDCC-B758E307C4C4.jpeg

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend giving Parker Production bullets a call. He makes muzzleloader bullets, and has given me a lot of knowledge in picking the right bullet for my muzzleloader set up.

Dean253

FNG
I switched to the Arrowhead XLD bullets in a custom smokeless muzzleloader & they are amazingly accurate & hit animals like a train wreck!

Rich M

WKR
I was at Bass Pro over the weekend and all they had was sabot-type bullets for ML. Not sure about everyone getting away from sabots just yet. They are quick and easy for the average Joe and what he needs to do.

@NBChance - I did some review reading for those Fury bullets and there was a lot of talk about keyholing. They have others if you want to try Fury bullets.

Also - had a fellow give me a great review on the Federal bullets. FWIW.

ENCORE

WKR
I would recommend giving Parker Production bullets a call. He makes muzzleloader bullets, and has given me a lot of knowledge in picking the right bullet for my muzzleloader set up.
I don't believe Bob makes a full bore 50cal bullet. IIRC they're all .451" requiring a sabot to shoot in a 50cal.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from the Parker BE, all his bullets are a bit long for shooting in a 1-28 with sabots. His Black Max might be ok but those are sure pricey for what you get. Only the BE and E-MAX are .015 jackets too. Something to consider if longer range impacts are likely at smoker speeds.

Last edited:

jbeck

FNG
The sabot has ALWAYS been the weakest link in modern muzzleloader shooting. Just like shooting in warm/hot weather, if you don't let that barrel cool down, you'll throw bullets.

I'll just say this, I have no clue what post #2 is talking about.

If you shoot a 50cal and bullet to bore, you're not loosing anything over shooting a sabot and a 45cal bullet in a sabot in that 50cal. Likewise a 45cal and shooting saboted bullets which are smaller than the bore size.

The most accurate muzzleloaders, rather 50's, 45', or others are ALL shooting bullet to bore. I can also assure you of this.............. Inline muzzleloader competitors are all shooting bullet to bore.

Sabots are and always have been, always will be the weakest link.

Arrowhead XLD bullets Bullets & Sabots – Arrowhead Rifles

Fury bullets Black powder muzzleloader (furycustombullets.com)

Parker bullets Muzzleloading Projectiles -- Sabots-Ballistic tip-Traditional Hunter – Parker Productions Inc

Pittman bullets Pittman Bullets™ - High Performance Muzzleloading - AccuMax ™.452" / AccuMax ™ Hard Core .452" Muzzleloading Bullets
Curious from folks like you who are following the trends in ML bullets.... Do you see many folks shooting bullet to bore with solid copper? I need to run solid copper for hunting, and I'm deciding between a .45 cal (probably bullet to bore) and a .50 cal (with a sabot).

ENCORE

WKR
Curious from folks like you who are following the trends in ML bullets.... Do you see many folks shooting bullet to bore with solid copper? I need to run solid copper for hunting, and I'm deciding between a .45 cal (probably bullet to bore) and a .50 cal (with a sabot).
Although I no longer use copper bullets, there are guys that are using them with excellent results. Thors and regular Barnes. I believe some of the Barnes shooters are annealing them after pulling the tips.