From Flatlander to Billy Goat...One Man's Journey

rhendrix

WKR
Ever since I was a little kid running around barefoot in the flattest of the flat parts of SE Texas I've been fascinated with pictures of my Grandpa hunting on horseback in CO. The white capped mountain tops in the background and the valleys full of aspen trees in the foreground seemed almost magical, unfortunately, he passed away before I was born, so all I have is those pictures and the stories about his hunting adventures from my Grandma. Something about those pictures have stuck with me my entire life, after 29 years of flirting with the idea of going to CO and having some pictures and stories of my own I'm finally deciding to make it a reality. So let this be my declaration, in 2013 I am going to travel to the mountains of the West and hunt elk or mule deer.

With every great adventure comes hours and hours of planning, preparation, blood, sweat and tears; you also need a way to track your progress and be able to see what has brought you success and what has hampered it. That's where this "log" comes in. This will help to keep me accountable for the next 9 months while I train and plan for my great adventure. I'll probably also use this log to track my thoughts about my hunting plans and ideas and thoughts on gear as well, this is kind of a hodgepodge of a log, but the emphasis is on nutrition and exercise. I haven't worked out consistently since August of 2011, and I don't really have a plan in place to get in phenomenal shape at the moment. I just want to start getting into a rhythm again and working out consistently, if I'm not doing that, feel free to chime in and tell me to get of my ass and get to work. Once I'm in a routine (which will probably only take a month), I'm going to start dialing in my diet and routine more. Until then I'm just going to enjoy the DOMS that's soon to cripple me!

1/7/13

Was planning on running for 25 minutes, but the weather didn't really cooperate, so I did a bodyweight circuit and tried to hit the number of reps in as few sets as possible.

BW Squat (100 reps):
50, 30, 20

Hand Release Pushups (50 reps):
20, 15, 15

V Crunches (50 reps):
15, 15, 20

BW Squat (50 reps):
40, 10

Hand Release Pushups (25 reps):
20, 5

V Crunches (25 reps):

Pretty lame that my legs were jello afterwards, and my triceps and shoulders were sore. (Insert: YAHHHH BROOO! FEEL THE PUMP!) Better than doing nothing though. Gotta start somewhere.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
1/8/13

6ezabunu.jpg

Trying to master the midfoot strike, my legs were tight but not horrible, my arches are another story.

Had planned on shooting my bow afterwards, but its pouring outside, so I'll just have to settle for inspirational photos instead.

egagupeb.jpg

Last edited:

bounds

WKR
Get after it! Great start to the new year and great goals! Are you still in SE Texas? I grew up there as well. In Austin now.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks. We live in Cypress now, but I grew up around Porter/New Caney, it's as flat as a pancake there.

Last edited:

bounds

WKR
Small world! I grew up in Cleveland. You're right about it being flat. I did my first elk hunt in 2009 in Colorado and you're doing yourself a big favor by getting in shape early. I've always been really lean and in good shape, but coming from down here, you just can't do enough to get yourself ready. It's tough no matter what. I would really focus on strengthening your legs. Cardio is a big plus, but do plenty of strength training to get your legs ready for the burn that the mountains will put on them.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep at it rhendrix, as bounds noted starting early is the key! Fitting the routine into your daily and weekly schedule is the key to success 7+ months until you reap the rewards of your sweat equity,

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Ha! That's hilarious man, never thought I'd run into another E. Montgomery Co. boy on Rokslide. Small world indeed, what year did you graduate high school? Where'd you go when you hunted in CO? How'd the altitude affect you?

I'm definite heeding your advice. My main focus is my legs, being able to bench press a house won't get me up and down the mountain, but lunges, step-ups and countless other exercises will. I was doing a lot of powerlifting stuff before I quit working out and started paramedic school in August of '11, and I've kept a lot that strength despite the long lay off but my lactate threshold sucks!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Keep at it rhendrix, as bounds noted starting early is the key! Fitting the routine into your daily and weekly schedule is the key to success 7+ months until you reap the rewards of your sweat equity,

Thanks, Ross. Making all of this part of my daily routine is going to be my biggest challenge, but I think having this log and being held accountable by all the other members of Rokslide will help with that tremendously.

tstowater

WKR
Great idea to get in shape. Coming from 1300 ft. elevation, I pay a lot of attention to elevation and the need to acclimate. When I was in Utah in December, spent a lot of time at 8500 to 10500. Took a couple day to acclimate, but was good to go after that. There are guys on here that can help along that line of training. Buy good boots that fit your feet if you don't already have them. Good luck and make it fun.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
1/9/13 (Weight x reps x sets)

Front Squat:
135x6
145x6
155x6x2
165x6

Leg Press:
350x8x2
280x8+4 negatives
280x8+4 negatives

Bench Press:
135x12
135x12
145x10
165x10x2

Lat Pulldown:
130x12x2
140x10x3

Legs are really tight, hoping that they'll loosen up by tomorrow so I can do some HIIT. Gonna go for a long walk on Saturday with my pack and some weight hopefully, still don't have a good pair of boots, need to find a pair that'll fit and not give me hot spots. Overall though not a bad workout.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I like this idea for keeping track, I've also started one on my computer to keep myself motivated. Good luck on your prep for your hunt!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks everyone. Knowing that if I don't post my workout someone might call me out is really helping to keep me motivated!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Been a busy day, was able to fit a rowing workout in before bed though.

asumyva2.jpg

bobhunts

WKR
I am starting the P90X on Sunday as everyone that I have talked to that has used it says it is the real deal! The guy I hunt with benches close to 400 lbs and he told me he did it and incorporates some of the stuff into his daily workout. He also told me be prepared to be sore. Anyone else used it? advice? Bob.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Bob, might wanna make that question it's own thread, you'll probably get more views. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Another late night workout, I need to pre schedule these for the morning, cause working out at 10:15 at night sucks.

3 rounds:
35 squats
35 push-ups
35 sit-ups

Didn't time myself, but I can tell you that it would've been over 10 minutes. The sit-ups destroyed me, but at least I know where my wink link is.