Frank Church charters?

530Chukar

WKR
Has anyone used one of the many aircraft charters for the Frank Church wilderness? Planning a hunt for next year and was curious as to the cost of one of these charters just to get into one of the airstrips to start the hunt and back out a week or so later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at or contact Middle Fork Aviation. They are based out of Challis.

I have hunted middle fork several times but have driven in. I think if you fly in to a roadless airstrip, the hunting could be great, but you will be working from the bottom up. But if there pressure, you might not have to get very high.

I have read articles of guys doing this with good success. But don't take area for granted, it is very rough country. It can whip even the best of us.

Pm me me if you have other questions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Look at or contact Middle Fork Aviation. They are based out of Challis.

I have hunted middle fork several times but have driven in. I think if you fly in to a roadless airstrip, the hunting could be great, but you will be working from the bottom up. But if there pressure, you might not have to get very high.

I have read articles of guys doing this with good success. But don't take area for granted, it is very rough country. It can whip even the best of us.

Pm me me if you have other questions.

x2. I hired Pete for MFA to scout some country and he was a good pilot, knew the country, and just as important, returned phone calls and was willing to meet me at 5:30 in the morning! Not sure if he's still there but it was good operation and tons and tons and tons of hours in the backcountry.

you can also fly it from the McCall/Cascade side and I have but I went with private pilots so I can't vouch for those FBOs on that side.

mntnguide

WKR
Middle Fork aviation is top notch. I have flown with them dozens of times. . Mccall aviation is good too, i just prefer the pilots out of middle fork with their knowledge and experience in there, but McCall does have a couple larger planes for more gear and more $$..If your planning on the November hunt, get ready for plenty of competition, the airstrips look like small cities in November throughout the Frank. Herd #s and trophy quality is far below what it once was, but its still great country and can be a fun hunt. Dont be expecting to see large #s of game, especially if you are going for Elk. I spent many days in there guiding where we didnt see a thing, and I knew the entire drainage i hunted very well from living in it from August through November for 3 years. Deer isnt really great in a lot of the area early, until they get pushed down and group together with weather, otherwise they stay very high and spread out, and without horses and knowledge, they can be tough to hunt up high in the early season.

schmalzy

WKR
Any word on if the recent fires have severely impacted things? Was considering hiking in from crags but now looks like a flight may be a better choice. Trying to decide if its worth the cash. This would be my first trip out there so i am looking at it as a scouting trip that I can hunt on. Looking at late September due to wanting to avoid weather. I know deer are sparse but i was thinking if i got high enough i could have some luck.

jm1607

WKR
Any word on if the recent fires have severely impacted things? Was considering hiking in from crags but now looks like a flight may be a better choice. Trying to decide if its worth the cash. This would be my first trip out there so i am looking at it as a scouting trip that I can hunt on. Looking at late September due to wanting to avoid weather. I know deer are sparse but i was thinking if i got high enough i could have some luck.

I haven't heard about fires this year but from what I understand frank church has gotten pretty smashed by wolves lately

Scott B

FNG
We have used Arnold Aviation out of Cascade multiple times and they are great to go with.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
Thanks for all the information. Any idea what a ballpark price is for one way into one of the strips? I am assuming that most of the airstrips are a no go once the snow moves in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Have flown with Arnold Aviation and McCall. Arnold gets my vote, more a family owned business. The Frank is a great experience no matter how you enter!