SE AK Transporter charter bear hunt

Luked

WKR
A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing one of these style hunts.
We have found a couple of Transporter Charters to use, but I know there are a lot of people here I am assuming that have done one of these types of hunts.
For those that have. Which charter did you use and what were your opinions of them.

Would also be interested in what weapon you used, Rifle or bow and if rifle what caliber did you use.
Am thinking if we do this hunt ill use my 6.5 PRC.

I haven’t been to SE AK but I went with Ninilchik charters out of Homer and it was the biggest disappointment I’ve ever had to pay for. Under no circumstances would I recommend them. I’ll never do a chartered hunt again. It can turn in to a fishing trip against your wishes real quick. I plan to do a write up about it before spring but it’ll be so long winded I’m really not looking forward to it. You’re welcome to call me and I’ll tell you all about it if you want to hear it.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Shoot me a PM with your number.
That was one of the charters we were looking at.

Looking forward to hearing about it,they seem to get good reviews.
I haven’t been to SE AK but I went with Ninilchik charters out of Homer and it was the biggest disappointment I’ve ever had to pay for. Under no circumstances would I recommend them. I’ll never do a chartered hunt again. It can turn in to a fishing trip against your wishes real quick. I plan to do a write up about it before spring but it’ll be so long winded I’m really not looking forward to it. You’re welcome to call me and I’ll tell you all about it if you want to hear it.

I haven’t done a charter hunt but I have hunted black bear in SE Alaska. I took a .375H&H given my outfitters recommendation. Hopelessly felt I was over gunned. However, once you get into the deepest darkest parts of that temperate rain forest, you are shooting at distances that will almost always be within 50-100yds however the width of those distances might only be 10-30yds left to right of the target animal. We were hunting the rivers in the fall during the salmon run. Those bears disappear instantly after being hit. Anchoring them where they stand will save you lots of headaches and hours of trying to track a bear. My opinion, take the biggest caliber you can accurately shoot.

MattB

WKR
Friends did a hunt with Homer Ocean Charters a few years back and had a great time. They are, as the name suggests, out of Homer and not SE AK.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Homer Ocean Charters is one of the ones we were looking at