Four Wheele for the Mountains Considerations

I’ve been contemplating a used four wheeler to navigate those crappy forest service roads more efficiently than I can in a full size truck. It would be likely for myself and one other hunter to ride. I know a UTV would be better but trying to keep cost low.

Have never owned one before and curious if there is anything I should consider before I buy something and realize I made a mistake. Like, is a 250 enough power for two adult riders climbing mountain trails or is a winch essential. How important is 4x4 for archery season. Looking to learn from your alls lessons.

idahodave

WKR
250 gonna be a little underpowered for two guys and gear. It’s doable, just won’t be fun for you or the ATV. A 500 will be plenty. I wouldn’t own an ATV that wasnt 4wd personally. A winch will seldom (if ever) get used.

Power steering is one of the best investments you can make for improving safety of the ride. This is not an opinion, but rather a fact.

Hondas aren’t sexy, but for dead-nuts reliability they are tough to beat and will go anywhere any other ATV will go.

I was in you position several years ago and didn't buy one until I had some firsthand knowledge of issues.. I've tried big/small, air cooled vs fluid cooled, 2 wheel vs 4 weel drive, with winch/ without, etc, etc... One issue to keep n mind ground clearance it is important.. If you're going to carry 2 riders (with gear and possibly animal parts) 250 would be way undersized.. In order to develop any horsepower/torque you would have to keep it reved tight whis is not great for the engine.. Sometimes you have to go super slow so you need raw power/torque... I ended up getting a used Honda Foreman 4/4 400 fluid cooled with a winch.. I ocassionally will ride another hunter on it, but not often.. I've found that is about perfect for a single rider with gear.. I've had it in snow 12-14" deep without chains without much issue.. Another issue.. Make sure the unit has a reasonable pull start in case your battery goes dean and you have manually start.. This can be more/less of an issue depending on auto/manual drive... There is no perfect unit, but determine exactly what your needs are (make a list of realistic expectations).. look at the specs of a lot of units and see which one checks the most boxes for you, then start looking for the best one of "It" on the used market and be patient in looking... If buying used and you're not very mechanical have someone who is inspect it before committing.. Things like bearings, brakes, u joints, axles, etc, etc can cause you a lot of grief if they are a problem.. Once you get the unit you choose, maintain it well.. Good units go bad quicker than needed if not properly maintained.. Riding on trails, dirt/unimproved roads is much harder on an ATV that riding in the backyard or on the farm.. If using at altitude check to see what options are available to adjust or replace ( as needed) carbiator jets, etc to get optimal performance and not burn valves, etc.. All the best in making your selection and finding one at a reasonable cost.. I've found the winch to be a must have as well.. Never know when you'll need it.. I had to use mine once to lower mine over a very steep bank in order to get around a huge tree that was down across the road, then pull myself back onto the road.. Good luck in your search.. Added note.. If you choose to go with a winch, be sure the battery is sized appropriately.. While using a winch it will suck a std battery down quickly (even with the engine ideling..

Last edited:

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I would not own a 4 wheeler without a winch or 4x4.

If you plan to haul someone else with you, they make some rack/seat options to make that more comfortable but in my opinion 2 guys with bows and gear is going to suck no matter what you do.

As for brands, everyone is going to have their opinions and loyalties just like scopes, backpacks etc. etc. Personally I wouldn't own anything but a Yamaha or a Honda. I have a buddy that loves Polaris because he owns a repair shop and they keep food on his table :ROFLMAO:.

We use the heck out of the winch on the front of ours at camp to secure hogs, flip them up on the front rack and tighten the winch down and drive them back out. Quick and easy. We have 450's and never wanted for power, they'll do about 50 mph which is way too fast for me anyway. Don't quote me, but I want to say I read one of the forestry rules stating you couldn't ride 2up on a 4 wheeler so you may want to check and see if there's anything in the regs where you plan to go. That may have been San Juan years ago, the only time I ever considered dragging one up there.

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: TVW

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
We use the heck out of the winch on the front of ours at camp to secure hogs, flip them up on the front rack and tighten the winch down and drive them back out. Quick and easy. We have 450's and never wanted for power, they'll do about 50 mph which is way too fast for me anyway. Don't quote me, but I want to say I read one of the forestry rules stating you couldn't ride 2up on a 4 wheeler so you may want to check and see if there's anything in the regs where you plan to go. That may have been San Juan years ago, the only time I ever considered dragging one up there.

I have on of those same model Yamahas. Great machines and super super reliable.

Another perk of that particular 450 is that it fits in the bed of my pickup with the tailgate closed.

TheTone

WKR
I’d guess people would be blown away at the places and riding that can be done on a small atv; I know I’ve done a ton of riding on small 2wd ones into rough places and hauled out a lot of animals on them as well

That said for general hunting use I’d say something in the 400-500 range, selectable 4wd, a winch and power steering is hard to beat. I’m a big fan of Hondas and Yamahas

tuffcity

WKR
This is a 500, and a factory 2-up (CanAm outlander) Its been a great rig. Some days winches are a need to have . If you're going to carry a passenger regularly seriously consider a machine built for 2.

Kndvqze.jpg

Gml1YW8.jpg

wzFijuP.jpg

4Truck

FNG
I’d suggest no smaller than a Honda Rancher. 400cc or better.

Definitely 4x4 and I consider a winch more of a need than a want.

skip the quad and get a SXS. climate controlled, hauls more, goes all the same places. last elk trip to wyoming I carried my entire camp, two people and my bull out in one trip

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 45

4Truck

FNG
Have owned most brands. Still have a couple Hondas and they’re bulletproof for the most part. Im a fan of mechanical shifting and very little electronics. Less to go wrong in the woods.

LaHunter

WKR
Hondas with a solid rear axle will beat the shit out of you on fs / blm roads. Been there done that, now I use a Polaris Ranger and would not consider taking a 4-wheeler / quad out west now.
Also, a carbureted machine will suck at elevation. I still have my honda 500 and it is great for what it is, but at 8500+ ft elevation I had to keep it in 1st gear on any type of climb when I used it on my 1st trip out west many years ago. Whatever you get, make sure it is fuel injected with independent suspension, like was advised above.

11boo

WKR
What’s that bomb proof older Yamaha quad? I’ve used one that was beat to heck, and it just worked.

I hate double up on a quad, particularly on our crap roads, so I went 2 seat utv.
probably out of your price range, but man they are nice.

IMG_7105.jpeg

Jethro

WKR
I don't own an atv, but I have a lot of experience as a passenger riding double with my hunting partners. Just a regular atv, not a 2 up. Bow cases stacked on back rack and bungeed. I wear my pack as normal, driver pack on front rack. Have done miles and miles this way.

250 seems light. I wouldn't go that small. We've had Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Polaris 500-750. They are able to handle anything 2 people are able to. There has been a few circumstances where I got off, let the driver tackle a steep rough uphill and then got back on. But not often.

4 wheel drive? Archery season is 99% 2wd. But that 1% if you don't have it, you'll miss it. Even in 2nd rifle we were impressed how they go in 2wd. But when we needed 4x4...we needed it. If your buying may was well get it.

We've never used the winch, so I can't comment on that. We haven't always worn helmets, but we do now.

cnelk

WKR
I have two atvs.

One is a 2002 Yamaha 400 4x4 Big Bear - it has 4800 miles on it and is super reliable. Bought it new.
Plenty of power for the mtns and 2 guys. Small and nimble.

My other one is a 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 4x4. 2000 miles on it. Power steering is nice, ride is a bit nicer than the Yamaha.

Both have winches. Definitely want a winch, because you just never know.

I run a 2017 Polaris 450HO. It did everything i needed it to do last fall, including get up a pretty nuts climb to a 13k peak. First time it's been above 1100' feet, and it performed flawlessly.

I would not have ridden on the back on that climb.....

Absolutely on 4WD. You won't need it often, but when you do, you seriously need it.

It was solid for 1 guy, 2 guys on regular roads/trails would have been fine, but it would not have ran as well as I prefer. (I'm a big dude 6'5" 240. Most my buddies are solid sized humans as well) If you are talking a couple of 5'8" 150 guys, I could see it working out just fine.

wytx

WKR
We ride 2 up all the time and no NF restrictions on that , that I know of.
We have a 500 and a 570 Sportsman and both work great for us, hauled 2 people and 1 1/2 elk on it.
Winch is a big help when needed.
Lots of FS roads an atv can take but a full sized truck cannot, due to trees and ruts and mud holes.
Power steering makes a huge difference.

Weldor

WKR
Check your local atv regulations, It's illegal to ride 2 on a atv made or 1 in AZ. Your good to go with a can am or 2 up polaris. Basically says it has to have seats and footrests for ea. rider. Some county's are more strict than others like Coconino.