Fort Collins vs Southern WY

OP
Fever Buck
Ft Collins, way more expensive.. Colorado semi-auto weapons ban on the way.

Wyoming, home prices in Cheyenne are probably a third of prices in Ft Collins, no state income tax.
Yep. I posted earlier in the comments about childcare and taxes. Would save us $15k per kid, $15k for income taxes, and we can afford to own a house with a lot bigger than .05 acres while also shaving $300k off the mortgage. Financially it makes the most sense.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Look at the west edge development plan if you haven't. The current city council, DDA, and West edge development district want Cheyenne to be the next Ft. Collins. They'll get it too.

Narcan is already available in the Police Department lobby. A needle exchange is in the works atm.

It's only a matter of time. (but that's crazy talk and will never happen 😉)
Better stomp it now, if you can. It’s like a plague and once it takes a hold the only solution is more services and more money… and guess what it attracts more homeless like flies on shit

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Better stomp it now, if you can. It’s like a plague and once it takes a hold the only solution is more services and more money… and guess what it attracts more homeless like flies on shit
That ship has sailed, unfortunately.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. I posted earlier in the comments about childcare and taxes. Would save us $15k per kid, $15k for income taxes, and we can afford to own a house with a lot bigger than .05 acres while also shaving $300k off the mortgage. Financially it makes the most sense.
If you didn’t buy in Colorado 4 years ago Cheyenne is way cheaper. Unfortunately for me it’s not since I bought six years ago I owe about $100k more than a comparable home in Cheyenne is going for. The lack of state income tax doesn’t make up for my income loss (assuming lateral move). I would have enough equity for a substantial down payment so financially it’s a wash, lifestyle might be worth it. Don’t need child care.

Point of my rambling is to look at a real estate forecast for both and whatever you do for work as it might not be a 40% cut like mine.

Jimss

WKR
I grew up in Wyo and have lived in Colo the past 30ish years. The one thing I hated more than anything in Wyo was the constant wind. It's pretty hard to get used to even after living there for over 20 years. The weather in the Fort Collins area is about as good as it gets anywhere! The only months I don't like is July and August because I have to work outside in the heat. Even in Cheyenne the winters are about 2 months longer and I hate the wind! It may blow in the Ft Collins area around 10 days a year.

I would much rather be a resident of Wyoming than Colo when it comes to hunting and fishing. Its tough to get away from the crowds fishing but we do have some great fishing here in Colo. In fact, I would rank a few of our best trout spots with the best in the Western US. Many of these spots get a lot of fishing pressure. Hunting is decent here in Colo but overall you'll likely have better quality hunting with fewer hunters in Wyoming.

I bought a home here in Colo before prices started to go out of control. A 1.2 million dollar home in the Ft Collins area is likely a $700,000 home in the Cheyenne or Laramie area. The cheaper homes are a chunk more here on the Front Range in Colorado than just over the border in Cheyenne. I would pick Laramie over Cheyenne but there is no way I would want to commute every day from Laramie to Cheyenne. Off and on periods of time from November through March could have horrible driving conditions with wind and drifting snow and icy roads. I also would not want to have to drive from Ft Collins to Cheyenne. Wellington would be a little better but not much fun.

The Front Range in Colo is a great place to raise a family. If your wife likes to shop I'd say she would be in paradise in the Loveland/Ft Collins area. There are also more brewery pubs and restaurants in our area than just about anywhere in the country. There are a wide variety of options for kids activities. If your kids like sports, the Front Range is an amazing place to live with multiple sports complexes and options. The weather is nice nearly year-aroun..if your family enjoy playing in the outdoors. When the wind is howling it really isn't very fun in Wyo! Those type of activities would be highly limited in Cheyenne. With that said, if you prefer isolation with few people I would say the Front Range likely is not your cup of tea.

The breaking point for me is Wyo's weather. I totally hate wind and it is pretty much constant,,,especially in Cheyenne! Cheyenne is also a pretty isolated and a pretty decent drive every time you want to go fishing or hunting.

cnelk

WKR
There are places in Wyo that it isn’t windy. You just gotta find em.
But it it isn’t Cheyenne or Laramie! ;)

OP
Fever Buck
If you didn’t buy in Colorado 4 years ago Cheyenne is way cheaper. Unfortunately for me it’s not since I bought six years ago I owe about $100k more than a comparable home in Cheyenne is going for. The lack of state income tax doesn’t make up for my income loss (assuming lateral move). I would have enough equity for a substantial down payment so financially it’s a wash, lifestyle might be worth it. Don’t need child care.

Point of my rambling is to look at a real estate forecast for both and whatever you do for work as it might not be a 40% cut like mine.
Yep, those are good points. Everyone’s situation is different. We bought in CO in 2021 and our house has risen 25% in equity since then. We basically can’t afford to move into our own home anywhere in the front range with current interest rates. The job will be a potential significant increase in salary for me so still waiting on final offer before totally doing the math.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing I hated more than anything in Wyo was the constant wind.
Even in Cheyenne the winters are about 2 months longer and I hate the wind!
Off and on periods of time from November through March could have horrible driving conditions with wind and drifting snow and icy roads.
When the wind is howling it really isn't very fun in Wyo!
I totally hate wind and it is pretty much constant,,,especially in Cheyenne!

I have the sense you don't like wind... 😁

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t think too hard on this. Keep it simple and rent in Cheyenne. I imagine your wife will let you know if you made the right decision pretty quickly.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Better yet, go stay at a hotel in the Cheyenne area for a few days and let your wife take it all in. I know me, I'd rather be in Ft. Collins without a doubt. Ditto my wife, and now grown children.

Phaseolus

WKR
Come to Weld County, we are the red headed stepchild of northern Colorado. If you like wind then go to Wyoming. Shoot me a DM if you like to hunt either way. I’m 30 min from Fort Collins, Greeley, and Cheyenne. I would not want to live in FOCO but surrounding areas are great. Look along 85 it’s a straight shot into Cheyenne. Some of the best speed goat hunting in CO is right there too although you need like 3-4 points to draw now.
But your Greeley water tastes really bad.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Commuting from Fort Collins to Cheyenne is not sustainable imho. I would live in Cheyenne if you are working there. FC is busy, expensive, and has access issues for recreation. You have far better access to public land near Cheyenne. Cheyenne is a great place with lower crime, cost of living, and better schools. Plus you get resident hunting privileges. I have lived in FC and would not recommend. It can be a fun town, but it is the bottom of the barrel when I think of towns in Colorado.

OP
Fever Buck
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, never thought I’d get this many responses from my original post and they’ve all been greatly appreciated.

The job just let me know they may have me train in Utah (not sure how long) prior to coming to Cheyenne.

Thinking about investing in a pull behind camper and living out of that for a few months instead of paying for rent. However, I’m a little worried about the camper being able to handle the wind in Cheyenne. Anyone have an opinion if that’s going to be a really bad idea? Would be nice to invest some equity in a camper (wife has been wanting one for years) instead of paying rent for a few months.

Jimss

WKR
My guess is they have areas to park a trailer in Cheyenne out of most of the howling wind. My son just starting out of college bought a nice house in Greeley that was a chunk cheaper than west of I25. If you like small towns there are several along Hwy 85 such as Eaton that would be nice family type towns.

I can pretty much guarantee housing is more expensive in Colo but your property value investment will multiply quicker than Wyo.

I think you would know in a short weekend how Colo compares to Cheyenne. They are almost total opposites as far as availability of shopping, schools, social life and weather.