Forloh Method Backpack Test and Review Complete on Page 2

I received the Forloh Method backpack about a week ago and have been using it daily for weighted training. I will use the pack for day and overnight elk scouting in Colorado. Hopefully I will use it during the 2022 archery and rifle seasons.

I understand there are concerns about frame height and weight distribution and those will be covered in my review. While I'm mainly doing the review because the frame height fits me well, I plan to test the pack on several people with varying body types and heights. To fully address this, my husband is a WKR and test participant; testing will be rigorous and up to Rokslide standards of @robby denning. Aside from that, I'd like to get feedback on the aspects of this pack that you would like highlighted or covered.

Initial 45lb load photos are from suburbia due to commitments over the past weekend, the pack will be mountain tested fully.

If anyone one in the Denver front range wants to be a fit guinea pig, please reach out.

61652.jpeg61650.jpeg

ljalberta

WKR
I of course would like to see the standardized cliff test at some point. Looking forward to this review. Thanks for doing it.

The thing everyone wants to see the most is how the 22in frame works on people of various heights, Anything you can put together that shows detailed comparisons between this and the packs that competitors make will go a long way in raising awareness and confidence in the FORLOH stuff, I imagine.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Following. How it does under heavy (80-120 pounds) loads for people with a longer torso is my biggest question.

Opinion on the built-in accessories (such as bow/rifle carrier) as well and how they work.

The thing everyone wants to see the most is how the 22in frame works on people of various heights, Anything you can put together that shows detailed comparisons between this and the packs that competitors make will go a long way in raising awareness and confidence in the FORLOH stuff, I imagine.
Agree with Wilderlife. Being in the Denver area, I would think that it would be easy to assemble a selection of packs from Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier and Seek Outside in various frame heights and load them all with the same 80 lb load and then show pictures of the same individual wearing each them to show the functionality of the load lifters and get comments from the wearer on comfort. Kickin, I wish I was closer to you, I've got packs from Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier that I would be happy to use as part of this comparison.

Venom One

WKR
Besides the stuff listed above regarding load handling, I'd add how the bags themselves function. Is the layout efficient and functional? Can you access things in the bags/pockets easily or does it require removal of straps and/or excessive digging to locate stuff? Is it easy to convert from day pack to meat hauling? Is the conversion logical or is it a jumble of confusing straps and buckles that require a diagram and video to figure out? I love a tidy pack so strap management is also something I look for.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@sndmn11 bring it Saturday and I’ll load it up with some rocks and sandbags and carry it around. You can take some glamour shots of me, my left side is my good side. At 6 feet, 185 I think I’ll fit into the size a lot of guys are curious about.

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 bring it Saturday and I’ll load it up with some rocks and sandbags and carry it around. You can take some glamour shots of me, my left side is my good side. At 6 feet, 185 I think I’ll fit into the size a lot of guys are curious about.
The pictures above have a 40lb of rock salt in it and me and the boy's power snacks consisting of cheerios and Mountain Dew.

You'll have to ask @KickinNDishin if you can borrow her test pack, she might have other plans.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
As someone that is fairly new to hunting, is looking for a pack, and has been very impressed with the Forloh gear that I have, I can’t wait to see your review.

I am 6’2” and 230lbs so my main concern is with the frame height but also with the material itself as it appeared mildly reflective (and possibly noisy?) in the videos I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I am 6’2” and 230lbs so my main concern is with the frame height but also with the material itself as it appeared mildly reflective (and possibly noisy?) in the videos I have seen.

Do the Googles on how to measure your torso length and then post it here.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Do the Googles on how to measure your torso length and then post it here.

Thank you for helping to educate a new hunter. In the Corps they just handed us a pack and in the scouts I just used my Dads so I have never had the luxury of measuring for a correct fit.

According to my expert google skills my key measurements are as follows (self measured so I’m sure there is ample room for error here):

Torso length (C7 to top of iliac crest) - 19”

Torso width (top of iliac hip to hip) - 16” (37” circumference)

If those aren’t the right measurements, my google skills have proven to be lacking.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for helping to educate a new hunter. In the Corps they just handed us a pack and in the scouts I just used my Dads so I have never had the luxury of measuring for a correct fit.

According to my expert google skills my key measurements are as follows (self measured so I’m sure there is ample room for error here):

Torso length (C7 to top of iliac crest) - 19”

Torso width (top of iliac hip to hip) - 16” (37” circumference)

If those aren’t the right measurements, my google skills have proven to be lacking.

Those are correct. My self measured torso length is 18ish inches. A 22 inch frame works for very light loads, 24 is pretty comfortable at 40 or so pounds. But for heavy loads 26-28 inch frames are more comfortable. Thankfully both my Exo and SO packs have easily adjustable frame hights.

Ltfd210

FNG
Following. In the hunt for a new pack, the discount for Forest responders puts this in the running as long as the frame height isn’t bad. I’m 6’ 1”.

twall13

WKR
I'm looking forward to seeing some test results from real world users. I definitely fit into the longer torso crowd so the frame height is a major concern for me but I'm open to seeing if they've found a better way to skin the cat. I'll be honest, I'm skeptical, but I'm not totally closed off to the idea that a shorter frame could work for me.