For those that run Nalgene rather than a bladder

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I really like using my Nalgene over my bladder but I've always done the bladder thing until I got a Kifaru nalgene holder. The nalgene holder makes getting my water easy which was the reason I would run a bladder in the past, I dont like taking off my pack to get my water in and out. My bladder is 3 liters and I like having alot of water. My question is, how many Nalgenes do you carry if you dont run a bladder? I was thinking about carrying 2 and throwing 1 in my pack and 1 in the holder.

I use a Nalgene, then have a 2 litre MSR dromlite bladder in the pack for extra capacity (no hose/valve ect)

I should add that I usually have a couple 6 liter dromedary bags at camp as well. The 2L bag is just for my pack, and depending on the water situation where I'm hunting, may or may not have any water in it.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I carry 2 bottle and then an empty 4 liter MSR Dromedary bag that I fill once I set up camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of those dromsdary bags that I typically fill and leave at camp but that's not a bad idea to take with me if I know its gonna be a rough hiking day.

I run a 48 oz. Old school style nalgene (the frosted lighter ones) and depending on conditions and distance may have a Gatorade bottle in addition.

bullmoose

FNG
Normally just 1 Nalgene for me. I carry one 32 oz Nalgene on my belt and a 1L platypus bag that I keep in my pack when I know water will be scarce.

Usually have an empty 4L or 6L MSR dromlite bag that is filled once in camp (if I'll be there a while) and emptied out before going back in the pack.

GPool1842

WKR
2 nalgenes and try to fill them up whenever I see water. Hunting Colorado high country. I haven’t ever used a bladder.

Marble

WKR
Gatorade bottles!.........My generation doesn't drink from a douche bag!
I do this or regular 16 oz water bottles and my nalgene. If I have my nalgene full plus 3 to 4 water bottles I can go over night and the next day with no worries. I like to have around 100 oz radii to go if I have to find water. If there is a lot of water everywhere im not worried about it and will carry less.

mt100gr.

WKR
A Gatorade bottle on the belt and 2 liter platypus soft bottle in the pack. Big drom bag carried in empty and used for water storage at camp. If there's lots of water around I will carry only the bottle on my belt and a 32oz sawyer soft bottle to filter with.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I drink like a fish on the mountain. 32 oz. Nalgene, 3 Liter Camelback, and 16 oz BeFree (my filter on the mountain). Usually run out before I get settled at camp.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
2x 32 oz Nalgenes and a 100 oz Dromidary that may or may not be filled depending on water situation.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always used a bladder in the past, but gonna switch to Nalgene bottles this year. I’m going to put two 32oz bottles on my belt, with 1 being empty depending on water availability, and I’ll put my 3L bladder rolled up into my pack. Taking water out of the bag should make it easier to pack things inside. I never liked how much space the bladder took up and how lopsided it made the pack at times.

jfs82

WKR
3x 3 liter bladders for camp (I can take them out in my pack if I want at that size) 72oz across 2x bottles for the day pack, another gallon back at the vehicle just in case.

I have run 2 or more Nalgene before. I used one for soaking food to rehydrate it on occasion. I also use bottles more in cold cold temps where freezing is an issue.

Like most above I bring an msr drom bag for cam water.

cnelk

WKR
This year I said screw Nalgene bottles that slosh and water bladders with tubes.

I bought a couple 32oz Hydrapaks. The one way spout won’t let water come out unless you suck on it. Soft pliable rubber that conforms to your pack compartment.

53EA32DE-FF3A-4FB9-AA3D-B1180A429157.jpeg

Mutto

FNG
When not going lightweight, I carry a stainless wide mouth nalgene. I can boil h20 with it and make food.
Bring a camelback or other bladder to put h20 in from the nalgene while cooking. MSR dromedary and plastic nalgene and titanium pot when going light. Had a plastic nalgene break that I forgot in truck cab when it got -20 a few winters ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
I'll take the weight penalty for the Nalgenes, I just like them and my pump connects directly to them and my drom bag. They do seem bulky but the holder takes care of that for 1 of them and the other can fit in the pack without any worry of puncture. I also hate cleaning the bladders, I actually just keep them in the freezer when I dont use them.