Folding hard tonneau cover recommendations

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Bakflip on my old truck, it was awesome, had it for almost 10 years and never had an issue with it. I put the Truxedo one on my new truck and I've had all kinds of issues with the latches coming loose, I've had to re-set them three times.
I really like the trip-fold style though, if it needs to come off it's very simple to take them off and put them back on.

ljaq516

FNG
What’s the main purpose you want to serve with a tonneau cover? Is it more security or keeping your gear out of bad weather and dust? If it’s security, I would look at the Diamondback covers or similar style. They are very secure and durable. But also strong enough to load and hold gear on top of the cover so you’re not losing as much packing space. There are also tie down points to keep whatever you load on top secure. A regular tri fold would definitely buckle under a lot of weight. I personally use a Softopper because I didn’t want to lose vertical space and you can fold it completely out of the way if needed. The only thing is that they really aren’t for security, more to keep your gear out of the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I had a Gator EFX on an F150 for 176k. Worked very well. Current truck has a Rev tonneau cover. It’s real nice, but too early to judge durability.
Both very similar designs. I like they can be easily removed. No chance I’d go to a roll-up.

davinski

FNG
I put a Peragon cover on my Ram 2500 and really like it. I like being able to remove and reinstall the whole cover pretty easily. It's an accordion style folding locking metal cover.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Current truck has a Extang Solid fold - which I do not recommend. Previous vehicle had a Bakflip MX4 - I would recommend that one.

WKR
I have a hard roll cover on my Ram. Truxedo Sentry. I've had it about a year and really like it. Easy to roll up, very protective and it can be removed completely by just sliding 2 latches (once it's rolled up). Sometimes I need the entire bed, so that was a key feature to me.

I had the truxedo precursor to the sentry, the titanium . Lasted about 3 years and the vinyl delaminated from the aluminum and the slats just fell apart. Awesome idea but mine was garbage and truxedo told me to get bent because it was out of warranty.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
I'm most concerned with weather protection, not too worried about security.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t get on board with a folding cover, on my second truck with a hard rolling cover. Last truck had a Bak X4, current truck has a Bak X4S. It’s a great cover, does a really nice job keeping water/dust/whatever out of the bed and rolls up fairly small when I need to haul larger stuff.

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a trifold but I have a soft roll cover by Truxedo, best addition to my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next one will be a diamondback. I can put my coolers up there amongst the 300 other things that my wife things we need to take along on a hunting trip. lol

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
My next one will be a diamondback. I can put my coolers up there amongst the 300 other things that my wife things we need to take along on a hunting trip. lol
I added extra tie downs to the top. When we go on family trips it’s nice to have the option to put large things on top.

Cheesy

FNG
Zero experience with hard tonneaus.

I bought a cheap $150 on sale Tyger rollup for my new Tundra in 2019 just to see if I would like a cover and not be out much money. 3 years later I liked it so much I bought another one for my old F-250 and wonder why I waited so long to do it.

I intentionally went with the soft roll up so that I could still use 100% of my bed without taking anything off.

It is 99.5% weather tight. I could probably improve upon that with a garden hose and a flashlight from inside, but it isn't enough to bother me.

It is nice not worrying about stuff blowing out going down the highway. And it will keep all but the really brazen thieves from messing with anything. I don't keep anything in the bed that would be devastating if stolen anyway.

EdP

WKR
There are 3 options that have reasonable security. By reasonable I mean it is a locked hard cover, not fabric that can be opened with a knife. Those options are: hard folding cover, tonneau, cab high cover. I had a cab-high on a previous truck and it provided great space, was completely dry, but visibility was poor. On the truck I have now I didn't need as much space and wanted better visibility, so I put on a folding cover. Visibility is great, it's dry if the seals are good, but space is limited. Access is better than with a tonneau but there are times I wish I had the extra storage space a tonneau provides. The folding cover space is adequate but tight when on a western hunt with a buddy.

My folding cover has hinge seals that need to be replaced periodically to stay dry inside. I had to replace them after 4 years when the truck was parked outside every work day. Once I retired and parked in my garage (12 years ago), I have not had to replace them but will need to in another year or two. Unfortunately, the mfg is out of business. I think I will replace it with a tonneau.

You really need to decide how much space you need. With a cab-high, there is enough space for elk antlers, camping gear, etc. Also, visibility is less of an issue if you have the back-up cameras that are now common.