FNG from PNW

moab

FNG
Moving to MT in next year. Somewhere near Yaak. Cousin lives in Libby.

Been following property for several years. What's your opinion on when or if prices will go down? Looking for wooded 20 acres. With or without home.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new PNW member.

Eddie

JustSeth

FNG
Hey man - I live up in the Yaak. It's been wild here since Covid & Starlink bumped prices significantly. While they've dropped some, listings still have 20 acre lots listed at over $40k/acre. The sales have slowed significantly with fewer properties available and the ones that are, are usually by locals who are trying to shoot the moon. Moyie Springs/Bonners Ferry has better prices.

OP
M

moab

FNG
Hey man - I live up in the Yaak. It's been wild here since Covid & Starlink bumped prices significantly. While they've dropped some, listings still have 20 acre lots listed at over $40k/acre. The sales have slowed significantly with fewer properties available and the ones that are, are usually by locals who are trying to shoot the moon. Moyie Springs/Bonners Ferry has better prices.
Yes. Prices are coming down. Everywhere. I have never seen so many price reductions of things already on the market. And a glut of high priced stuff trying to take advantage of the high end of the market here.

Seems to be quite a few luxury mansions. That were built during the boom of 4 yrs ago. When land was cheap compared to other places. And every bodies brother in laws, uncle's - dog was retreating to their dream property in the country.

Or homes that would look right in a wealthy golf course cul de sac. But completely unnecessary and out of place in the woods. They look way more about impressing the neighbors. Than anything usable. When they could have gotten 50 more acres instead of a 20ft wall of windows and fancy lighting.

There are still a few 20 acres lots in the 200k range. That were 100k 3 or 4 yrs ago. But they all seem to be south of Trego. I still don't know why? Just more vacant land there? I have good connections in Libby. And a referral to a great real estate agent. But have not wanted to bother them yet. As it seems foolhardy to buy in this still inflated market. I think we are still a year or two away from stabilized prices. Or at least an average come down in prices.

So we've sort of slowed our search down. But are still monitoring prices and what comes on the market.

One interesting fact is that I think alot of these properties coming to market are only because we seem to be at an all time high. I wonder how many of these unique properties would be on the market otherwise. And I don't mean the stupid mansions. There are 150 to 250 acres lots surrounded by fed and state land. That I don't think you would see if prices weren't this high. Not that I can afford 150 acres. But it seems like the glut of interesting properties might not be as many if prices come down.

I'm just hoping when prices come down that there will continue to be interesting properties for sale.

But I'm looking for different things. I really don't want a super nice house. I want more property and amenities. That is remote and as private as possible. Hopefully backed up to state or fed land, at the end of road with no roads crisscrossing it. Trees. And maybe a logging road into it.

Power would be nice. But not a deal breaker. But being able to afford the well is. Finding something with say an old mobile home on it. That has a well, sewage system and basic infrastructure. Where you could just tear down the mobile home or use it as an outbuilding. Then just do a modular home. Or something cheaper and serviceable. Then you have the advantage of not guessing about how much a well is going to cost you. And I am certainly not going to use the bulk of whatever we can afford on a fancy house.

Looking at some of these fancy houses, I immediately think these people moved there for all the wrong reasons. And I am not surprised they are selling and moving 3 yrs later.

I just don't know who is going to want to invest in that? There are no neighbors to impress. But they went all "impress the neighbors" anyway. Lol. Who needs a 3 million dollar home in the middle of the woods?! When you could have spent all that money on more land, more privacy, more infrastructure, more usable things. Imagine how much they could have spent on greenhouses, shops, solar/generator, water collection, livestock production, etc etc!

Just seems crazy to me. All these 3+ million mansions. Imagine how much land you could have bought?