Flying with Hunting Pack as Personal Item, NOT Carry On

nobody

WKR
I've been reading through the available threads, but nothing seems to talk about this.

Wife and I are going on an 8 day cruise middle of February, cruising out of Miami with Carnival. Very much looking forward to it, we love cruising!

I'm looking to simplify my packing, and the plan (for now) is to check one bag each, pack one carry-on each, and a personal bag. I've got a Killik backpack from my days at Sportsman's (almost identical size to the Kuiu Divide 2000 or an SG Avail 2200), so it falls within acceptable limits for a carry on. But I would like to use it as my personal bag. Again, trying to keep from checking two bags.

Anybody used an Avail 2200 or similarly sized bag as your personal item on a flight? We are flying with Delta from SLC to Fort Lauderdale, and then returning with Southwest. I know there's lots of guys who have used their full sized packs as a carry on, but I'm not seeing anything relating to backpacks as personal bags. Would just like to have a backpack large enough to put basically one full day's worth of stuff for me and my wife on my back just in case bags take awhile to get to our room for some reason or something.

Anybody done it?

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I use a mystery ranch 2 day assault as my personal item. It just fits under the seat, if I need to put it there. It has similar dimensions, but smaller volume than the 2200

strongarm

FNG
@nobody I've flown with a Kifaru Minikeg several times, which is probably a larger pack than the one to which you're referring. While it’s probably not “personal item” size,” it's a non-issue for fitting in full size aircraft overheads. It is tight if the bag is fully loaded out, but it does fit. The Minikeg doesn't fit in puddlejumper overheads—not many packs bigger than a school-sized backpack do. I face this often since my closest station is a small airport and my first leg is often on a turboprop or RJ.

Do note when I fly with the Minikeg:
  • I take the belt off and have it in the bag itself. This not only fits better in overheads but makes it less conspicuous looking overall when loaded out and technically over spec. Being able to remove the belt but still have shoulder straps attached is a feature of some packs, but not all. You can always clip the waistbelt behind the pack itself for nearly the same result.
  • I purposely carry a small duffle bag that's right-sized to the bag rolled up and attached to the compression straps (bottom, in the case of the Minikeg) for those times when I'm on a small plane and it—along with everyone's roller bag—is going in the belly of the plane regardless. Same applies if the plane is full and you're getting your bag stowed underneath. This is how I protect the bag shoulder straps and compression straps from getting ripped, snagged, and who knows what else when on the way to the belly and while tossed underneath.
  • A little out of context to your direct question, but with the Kifaru platform I almost always have the Sherman pocket attached, too. I simply unclip it and that stays with me at all times since it contains essentials. Just noting here for other members who may come across this thread.

Last edited:

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Had no issues with my MR Pintler going in the cabin. I just make it a point to board as early as possible to get overhead space for it.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Thanks guys. Again, to clarify, I have a carry-on already, NOT AS A CARRY ON. I'm looking for examples of guys using their packs as their "under-seat" personal item. If I were using this bag as a carry on it would be a non-issue as it easily falls within the sizing restrictions, but I'm not wanting to do that. Thanks again.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
I wore my MR Beartooth as a carry-on...the gals at AK Air suggested I empty it out a bit more to flatten it and to store the lid inside so it won't catch on things. It was fairly empty with just a change a clothes and a jacket and fit through the scanner but when I got to Seattle, I was scolded (well just asked to think about the size a bit) by the gate attendant and was asked to gate check it. It was definitely too big for the bin

I take a backpack with me as my personal item all the time. It just has to fit under the seat in front of you. They never seem to care if it stick into my foot room.

I will add that it doesn't have a hip belt and is 20-25L max and roughly 21x12x6"

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If it is a large framed bag, no. It will be too big to fit under the seat, meaning you are bringing 2 carry on bags. Depending on the airline, the day, and the individual you have at the gate, you might get away with it. Getting away with it does not change it being rude. Read my signature for my thoughts on that.

Clarktar

WKR
I've carried on my full size seekoutside bag. Stuffed but heavily compressed. Had to take one item out of bag to get it into bin for security scan. After scan I stuffed item back in bag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
from my experience, they do ask you to stow the personal item under the seat. i personally wouldn't chance it

From southwest.com:

Carryon baggage basics
You may carry on one bag and one personal item1. The bag should be stowed in the overhead compartment, and your small personal item should be stowed under your seat.
Sizing up your carryon and personal item:
One carryon bag
  • Goes in overhead bin
  • Size limits: 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H)
  • Examples: roller bag, small suitcase
One carryon personal item
  • Goes under your seat
  • Size limits: must fit in the 16.25” (L) x 13.5” (W) x 8” (H)* space under the seat
  • Examples: backpack, purse, laptop bag

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
If they have a frame, they aren't going to fit under the seat from my experience. My camera pack barely fits under without protruding into my foot area and that it only about 20 inches tall. That is for most seating on airlines.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
My Vintage kelty large redwing is my go to personal bag. It is bout 20” high x 13” wide x 5.5” deep. Actual weight of the backpack is 2 lbs 5 oz and it does have a hip belt. You might get inspected at security for the removable aluminum frame supports, but they are factory and that is a plus for me and the main reason why I carry it.

I've used an Avail 2200 and placed it underseat on 737's. Did that so I could work on my laptop during a flight and not be getting in/out of the aisle. I did take the belt off.

I have flown an absolute ton..
But not with hunting packs..

It has to fully fit under the seat in front of you to qualify officially as a personal item.

Most times they will let you get buy but I've also had some real Karen flight attendants.
They must not be able to control anything else in life and they want to dominate and show there power to everyone they can. I've had them worry about a single strap sticking out.
Wake me up to see if my seat belt is on etc.

Anyway best thing you can do i guess is look up what kind of aircraft your scheduled to be on.
Look up the dimensions of the underseat.
Cut down a cardboard box.
See if your pack fits.

jayhawk

WKR
I think a “personal item” is for things like a purse, diaper bag, laptop, etc. It’s things you can put under the seat. You may want to check your airlines rules about size and weight for that. I doubt a backpack would work as a personal item

BigVick04

FNG
Like some others have said your probably rolling the dice on the Delta and Southwest personnel if your bringing some thing that’s bigger than the personal item dimensions. They might care, they might not.

I have used my Haley strategic flat pack as a personal item on a real cheap United flight that I wasn’t even allowed a free carry-on. It was stuffed so full it was a hair bigger than their personal item specs but I no one seemed to notice/care. But that’s a tiny backpack, like 600 cubic inches.

If it won't fit under the seat in front of you, they are not going to allow it as a personal item: https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/carry-on-baggage

I have used smaller backpacks as a personal item without issue, but nothing with a frame.

I fly frequently, and with the exception of Alaska Air (which is awesome and flexible), I have found that airlines are showing far less flexibility around carry ons and personal items than they did in the past.

All that being said, the most common result that I've seen where a bag is judged to be oversized is that they require you to check it at the gate (sometimes paying the baggage fee, sometimes not). So, if you are ok checking it if they flag it as oversized, then you could probably go ahead and roll the dice.

I’ve done that with a stone glacier avail many times. Just make sure you can get it under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk