Flying with guns question

ODB

WKR
Good point. I wouldn’t have thought of that.
The video from exo mountain said to have your suppressor paperwork with you. Wouldn’t have thought of that either.

Yes. I carry two copies, the second for the flight back. In case the first numbnuts wants to “Keep it for their records.”

Print out a copy of TSA regulations and keep it in your possession. I have run into power tripping counter help and TSA agents that have no clue what the regulations are. Be prepared to produce the document and show them the exact regs that come from their web site. Last time I looked the airlines may require a lock in every position, but not the TSA. TSA regs say that the "container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed." If you travel enough you WILL ENCOUNTER AN AIRLINE EMPLOYEE OR TSA AGENT THAT WANTS TO MAKE AN ISSUE WHERE THERE ISN'T ONE. Be prepared for it.
I was going to recommend this. At least have the tsa firearms regulations webpage (or the specific airline regs on another tab) on your phone ready if needed. A lot of times the person at the counter doesn't really have a clue. For example last time I flew the counter agent told me I needed to have only tsa locks. I showed him the regs and let him know that was wrong and also wouldn't make sense bc only I should be the one opening the case. Some agents also just want to to see the firearm in there others want you to show that it's clear. I just try to be friendly and not condescending and ask before doing anything with the firearm (like clear it unless they ask to see it cleared. Last guy in new Orleans just wanted to see the firearm was in there). Also when you pick up your firearm from bagge often it usually goes to the airlines baggage claim office (where you go if they lost your bags) and an agent will hand it over to you once you show Id.

Really? I thought they could be in the factory box. Guess I need to get a container. Thanks.
I just flew delta back at Christmas. Two rifles. Packed 6 20 round original boxes of ammo in corners of pelican case under foam below guns. It was scanned at check in without issues. 4 more 20 round boxes packed in another checked suite case without issue. I'd call the specific airline for clarification.

WCB

WKR
No issues with having another person's gun in the case. To avoid any confusion because we know not all TSA agents are literate...Just don't mention that one of them is not yours. If it is your case you handle it and whoever else has their gun in the case just go away.

wyosteve

WKR
The only consideration if you take someone else's gun is if you're going to Canada, you need to fill out an 'ownership' form for the U.S. and a 'registration' form on entry into Canada. Not sure how that would work if it's not your gun.

Bbddalton

FNG
Put a lock in every hole. That’s it. Unloaded, obviously. Never had anyone weigh ammo like they say. Only been checked 1/10 times.