Flying with guns question

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I will be flying out with a group next month. I have a double rifle pelican case. I got this for when my wife and I travel but we haven’t yet. This is my 1st trip. I was planning on putting my buddy’s rifle in my case.
Is there an issue with TSA about carrying a gun that is not yours?

BigDog00

WKR
They won't ask who's it is. Anytime I've flown they spend about 2 seconds looking in the case before they ask me to lock it up.

I have never had them ask either. Just sign the unloaded declaration and slip it in and lock it in when they tell you it's time. Have fun!

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I've only flown with handguns but it was never an issue. You'll fill out a declaration, put part in the case, the other stays with you. One tip is to make sure every locking latch hole has a lock in it. You can buy matched lock sets. The Exo Mountain podcast has a good episode on flying with guns that may be of use to you.

cnelk

WKR
Pack that Pelican full.
Guns and handguns and ammo.

Note: ammo has to be in a cartridge container - not in a stock holder like in the pic. I was just doing a test fit when I took the pic.

4CF7F0F6-C043-4DFD-B93A-CFE20F086B21.jpeg

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Pack that Pelican full.
Guns and handguns and ammo.

Note: ammo has to be in a cartridge container - not in a stock holder like in the pic. I was just doing a test fit when I took the pic.

View attachment 534874
Really? I thought they could be in the factory box. Guess I need to get a container. Thanks.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I've only flown with handguns but it was never an issue. You'll fill out a declaration, put part in the case, the other stays with you. One tip is to make sure every locking latch hole has a lock in it. You can buy matched lock sets. The Exo Mountain podcast has a good episode on flying with guns that may be of use to you.
Yep. The case has 4 holes so I plan on 4 master locks keyed alike.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I just watched a video and read the post by exo mountain. It seems well done

Some airlines don’t allow ammo in the case with rifle no matter the container, check particular airline regs. Some also will give you problems if you pack in clothes/etc with the guns. They change them all the time so just check pre flight.

Make sure you wait when they screen your case. If they need to open it, you can provide the key and probably observe. Also you can then verify it is properly repackaged.

I will be flying out with a group next month. I have a double rifle pelican case. I got this for when my wife and I travel but we haven’t yet. This is my 1st trip. I was planning on putting my buddy’s rifle in my case.
Is there an issue with TSA about carrying a gun that is not yours?

Staying domestic or going international? If international, you need to know what their rules are. Domestic is a non-issue.

It’s a lot easier to have a separate locking ammo can like the ones you can grab at sportsmans or cabelas. It’s just easier to avoid that hassle if the airline has different restrictions. Also remember that each lockable point on your case must be locked. If it has 4 holes for locks, you need 4 locks. I’ve flown back and forth across the US with guns a lot and this has saved me a lot of headache.

Print out a copy of TSA regulations and keep it in your possession. I have run into power tripping counter help and TSA agents that have no clue what the regulations are. Be prepared to produce the document and show them the exact regs that come from their web site. Last time I looked the airlines may require a lock in every position, but not the TSA. TSA regs say that the "container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed." If you travel enough you WILL ENCOUNTER AN AIRLINE EMPLOYEE OR TSA AGENT THAT WANTS TO MAKE AN ISSUE WHERE THERE ISN'T ONE. Be prepared for it.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Print out a copy of TSA regulations and keep it in your possession. I have run into power tripping counter help and TSA agents that have no clue what the regulations are. Be prepared to produce the document and show them the exact regs that come from their web site. Last time I looked the airlines may require a lock in every position, but not the TSA. TSA regs say that the "container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed." If you travel enough you WILL ENCOUNTER AN AIRLINE EMPLOYEE OR TSA AGENT THAT WANTS TO MAKE AN ISSUE WHERE THERE ISN'T ONE. Be prepared for it.
Good point. I wouldn’t have thought of that.
The video from exo mountain said to have your suppressor paperwork with you. Wouldn’t have thought of that either.