Flying with guns and locks

roymunson

WKR
Leaving on Friday and flying with guns for the first time.

I bought some cable style TSA coded padlocks. They're easy to use and easy for me to open, but was talking to a buddy and he mentioned that if there's too much "slack" and the case can be opened enough to get a hand in kinda thing...

I like the idea of not having to deal with a key, but wondered what everyone's experience has been with having too much "slack" in the case. Is that a problem? Once I'm at the airport, it's going to be hard to change. Should I just go to the hardware and get a keyed lock?

Northpark

WKR
Also check your airlines guns policy on their website, print out a copy and follow it to a T. Take that printed copy with you or save on your phone in case you get an unruly gate agent who wants to follow their own personal rules.

Sevens

WKR
Go get one keyed lock for every hole from the hardware store. NO tsa locks on guns.
This! No TSA lock and make sure all hole-lock holes have a lock in it.

You should be able to find locks that fit the space tightly without much slack. If there is too much slack, case can be opened (even unintentionally) and something slip out.

I use some small combo locks like this on my pelican case. They’re not “heavy duty”, per se, but enough to keep people honest. If someone wants into the case, they’ll find a way.

I also leave a spare set in the case, just in case.

Also bring a copy of TSA regulations stating "only you should obtain the key or combination to your lock" a "tsa approved" lock doesn't meet that. I use a master lock for every hole. No more than 1 inch of slack to open the case. I also do carry TSA approved combination locks for every hole just in case they really put up a stink but having the print out of there language should clear that.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I fly pretty much every month with a firearm and North park and ziegler spot on. I've had to show them the regs at the american airlines desk in salt lake city. I have seen them check the case to make sure it doesn't have any wiggle room to get into it in denver. Only other thing to add is to make sure you have of contact information inside and outside and an airtag or something of that sort on it. Don't be slow getting to baggage claim. I have had them throw cases out on the belt sometimes and then other times send it to the agent For id verification at pickup. Zero consistency. Same case, same airline, same airport. Plan to spend a little more time when you show up getting it checked in, certain agents are not allowed to do it, at least at American. If you're running a large case, hang around for them to run it through the scanner, if it will not fit, they will want to open it and inspect it. Other than that, usually smooth sailing unless you're going in and out of new york LGA!

Gorp2007

WKR
I like the 4-pack of Master locks, one key on my person and the other in my carry-on with my car keys. You can get them with different gauges to fit your case and they're not TSA.

Gun cases cannot have TSA locks, they need to have regular locks. If you're putting a locked firearm case inside of other checked luggage (really only works for handguns), the outer suitcase or whatever can and should have a TSA lock but the firearm case itself should have good locks on it.

Use a good case like a pelican, storm, or planos high end series, the baggage idiots will destroy anything else. Then put good master locks on every hole you can with ammo in ammo boxes3 and firearm inside the case and locked BEFORE you enter the airport, declare the firearm at the baggage counter and only open the case or unlock the locks if the airline agent or TSA requests it. They will usually walk you to the TSA screening area with your firearm case where you will stand by while TSA scans the case.

It's a painless process and the procedures are very simple. I usually fly with a handgun in a pelican with loaded mags (not in the gun) and then put it in my checked suitcase. I even flew once with a bunch of mechanics tools like hammers, pry bars, wrenches, sockets, power tools (lithium batteries removed and in carry on) packed in the case suitcase around the pistol case and it looked weird AF on the xray screen and the TSA agent turned and looked at me with a raised look but even in that case never asked to open it and just sent it down the line. I've never had the airline agents ask to see inside either, only if the gun is unloaded and ammunition is secured and less than 11lbs of ammo. They do have me remove the gun case from my suitcase though so that they can tape the firearm card to it.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Go get one keyed lock for every hole from the hardware store. NO tsa locks on guns.
This, I just flown Alaskan Air and United with no issues. Once locked no one should have access to it but you.

Another point is to give yourself plenty of time 1. When arriving to the airport and 2. Most importantly during connections if any. On a recent trip to New Zealand we had a 4.5 hr connection at LAX. They called us 1.5 hrs prior to our departure that we needed to come back to the front check in desk to open our cases for an inspection. This causes you to have to essentially exit the airport and have to go back through security to your gate once finished. I have also had to do this in Minneapolis on a return trip from BC. It seems to be pretty random and a huge pain. When asked why they needed to go back through them when they have already cleared TSA at the original departure airport they just said routine inspection.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Everyone pretty much lined it out. Every airport I've ever checked a gun in had me take it directly to the oversize gate agent and then he asks me to open it with my locks, I watch him inspect the case and contents, and then he asks me to put my locks back on. After that point, no one has any business opening the case; so I do not use TSA locks. I asked a TSA agent one time about the lock on every hole rule, and he confirmed that just as long as you can't reach an arm in the case, it's OK (just put a lock on every hole).

One thing to add is that you can put ammo that's in a case or original packaging in your normal checked baggage without declaration. No need to force it in you your gun case if it doesn't fit.

I've also never had anyone from the airlines inspect my case or the contents. A bit of a disclaimer is that 95% of the time I'm flying with a firearm it's in AK, so it's pretty standard procedure for most gate agents and TSA folks.

fwafwow

WKR
The last time I checked the rules, TSA had relaxed the “no TSA locks” requirement - but I still wouldn’t use them. And while they are supposed to let you be present during inspection, that depends on the airport in question.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Real good information here guys. I will print the TSA literature and I got key'd locks for my gun case. i'll carry a key with me and a second key in my pack.

Thanks

I’m flown a lot with them. And just last month I had to grab a quick lock that had slack. They couldn’t really get hand in case but didn’t like.

So I had to use a teensy TSA lock that I used on my baggage.

I don’t like TSA locks because TSA can get in. Get a good luck with key that works for the case hole (sometimes hard to get a good fit).

I suggest taking case into store or at least in parking lot when you buy lock so you know it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
I’ve only ever locked the 2 corner holes on my case and never had an agent say anything about the holes that didn’t have locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Macintosh

WKR
The overriding message is that its a moving target. Every tsa agent interprets the rules differently and you are likely to be frustrated if you expect them all to be consistent, plus every airline has their own set of rules above and beyond the tsa regs. Be prepared (both with time and material) for the inconsistency and don't expect any one persons experience (including your own) to be identically repeated every time you fly. I watched a guy get turned away because he didn't have a lock for every hole. Saving $15 in locks seems a poor reason to get an unpleasant surprise…I’d plan accordingly even if it doesnt always come up.

fwafwow

WKR
The overriding message is that its a moving target. Every tsa agent interprets the rules differently and you are likely to be frustrated if you expect them all to be consistent, plus every airline has their own set of rules above and beyond the tsa regs. Be prepared (time and material) for the inconsistency and don't expect any one persons experience (including your own) to be identically repeated every time you fly.
Well said. I even carried extra locks even though I have one on every hole. A few times my locks were gone and I could only chalk it up to being chewed up/off by the conveyor machinery.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Pheasant hunting out west last year. Had 4 locks on case, covering all sides and no way to get in to case. Didn't notice the other two lock holes on the outside ends that actually added no value. It wasn't an issue flying out from a major airport. I was flagged on a 5am commuter flight heading home from a smaller regional airport for not having locks in all holes. "Conveniently" they had a vending machine that sold locks for $15 each. My fault for not noticing the extra two holes. rules get interrupted differently by different staff, so be prepared.