Florida Sambar

StevenH

FNG
We're getting pretty psyched up!
Having seen the lay of the land for at least a small portion of the island takes some of the mystery out of it.
Wish we had seen more than sign,but standing there and smelling the musk tells you that you are close.

I spent tonight working on some changes to the bicycle. I think I'm switching from a trailer to panniers. Those with a small pack should work well.

Well, we didn't end up punching any tags on our hunt, but we learned a lot and have already put in for the draw again. I think there were 9 or ten taken on our end of the island. One group ended up with a father son combo on back to back days which was pretty cool. The son's deer was really good size. Both were shot first thing at shooting light.

As for the island, it had recently had a pretty good burn and a lot of the underbrush had been cleaned out. Lots of good trees to set a climber on and sit for the day. They didn't want us doing any stalking or even moving around before maybe 9 or so and had to be out of the stands by mid afternoon. I would bring a bike next time. We hiked in several miles each morning and having the bikes would have really cut down on travel time. The areas that seemed to be the most successful we along the inland lakes that run down the island and the draws leading in to them.

Snakes. Lots of them. Tons of pygmy rattlers and water moccasins. I about threw out my back stepping over a palmetto bush with a very angry cottonmouth under it that i nearly stepped on. Never thought i'd do a one legged sideways broad jump with a full load out of heavy old climbing stand, rifle, and gear. I would definitely wear snake boots. Also, soak everything you bring in permithrin. The mosquitoes are insane. That, plus a thermacell (tie it to your pack or tree stand...) made them somewhat manageable.

We tried to pack light thinking we would be packing in to the island to set camp, but you are required to set up all in the same area next to the check in station. Knowing that know, we would have packed more like a car camping trip with a more comfortable setup at camp. Some guys brought pop up showers, water heaters, multiple tables, rocking chairs, full grills, multi-room tents, it was pretty comical.

Anyone want more info, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Our family group was drawn for this years hunt. Super excited although I have never been to the island. However, my father and brother in law have pulled many Sambar deer out of there. Any insight is appreciated as Im bringing my boat to carry my gear to and from. My main questions are anchoring and should I bring my climber or not. Any insight is appreciated.

I will be there this year for the hunt. Super excited as Ive been trying for years. I will be in a family group as the others have hunted this island successfully several times pulling big stags out. Anchoring my boat is a big question for me but im sure ill figure it out. Looking forward to the comradery and good times. Should I bring my climber or not? I definitly have snake boots and will have plenty of thermacells and sprays.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
I will be there this year for the hunt. Super excited as Ive been trying for years. I will be in a family group as the others have hunted this island successfully several times pulling big stags out. Anchoring my boat is a big question for me but im sure ill figure it out. Looking forward to the comradery and good times. Should I bring my climber or not? I definitly have snake boots and will have plenty of thermacells and sprays.

We hired a guy to charter us across the bay to get to the island, so we didn't have to worry about anchoring out. I don't think that anyone who did had any problems, and just anchored bow into the waves. As for the climber, you should definitely bring it. there are lots of pine trees and palms that make for great setups. There's a lot of brush down low, so getting above it really helps to see what's going on around you.

Another thought for bugs is to spray everything down with Permethrin before you go. Tent, clothes, boots, all of it. Get it good and wet, and once it dries it should be good for at least several weeks and really does help keep the bugs off.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently looking high and low for this and can't find it anywhere. Do you have a copy or know where I can find one?
From my experience, hunting that island, and being successful. Sambar deer on that island have ZERO rhyme nor reason of what they do. The stag I shot was in velvet, while other stags that were shot, were full on rut. Also the stag I shot, traveled over 3 miles in a matter of one day. This was determined from a video prior that a guy took of this stag, where I was at, and the location he came from. I shot him at roughly 2:20pm-2:30pm. Best advice I can give is scout hard the first days, find fresh sign, and just sit over it all three days.

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_090345_317~2.jpg
    IMG_20221119_090345_317~2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 24

Kitecop

FNG
I'm more looking to read that book than prepare for a hunt. Read a study on parasites in both the sambar and whitetail on the island. Sambar are def hardier than whitetail.

I'm currently looking high and low for this and can't find it anywhere. Do you have a copy or know where I can find one?
At one point I recall seeing somewhere online you could purchase a download of it- you might try contacting the tall timbers research station. I was able to get a copy by getting my library to do an interlibrary request for it.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Are the snakes really that bad? Seems like an odd place for them
Yes, extremely bad and the mosquitoes are worse. If the breeze stops, you will end up needing a blood transfusions due to being bit by mosquitoes so much. With the snakes, I have hunted Florida and Alabama public for the last 20 years. When I hunted that island, I saw more rattlesnakes in three days, than I have seen combined in Florida and Alabama. My boot was struck 3 times by 3 different snakes. I never once saw these snakes until I felt my boot struck. All of these were on the bike paths/roads. We had some in camp on the beach, so make sure you carefully look where you place your tent and wear foot wear when you are outside the tent. With that said these were all pygmy rattle snakes, they are very hard to see but have small fangs which makes it hard to penetrate a leather/rubber boot.

I'll preface this by saying I HATE wearing rubber boots and generally do not hunting here, unless it is absolutely needed. On this island it is needed. So what I did was bought a pair of DryShod Vipertechs and carried a pair of ankle hiking boots on my backpack. Wear the rubber boots in (bery comfortable) then at the base of my tree change to the hiking boots so my feet could breathe from the all day sit.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm more looking to read that book than prepare for a hunt. Read a study on parasites in both the sambar and whitetail on the island. Sambar are def hardier than whitetail.
Apologies, I thought you were looking at it from a hunting standpoint. Sambar are definitely hardy animals, so much that young stag I shot was super tough on his meat. Lol I have personally never killed a whitetail or an elk that has meat as tough as that Stag and he was a young one.

Kitecop

FNG
Ya it's not available through that link. No book stores or online retailers have it so far.