Floating dot or floating crosshair reticle.

ohlongarm

FNG
Which will serve a varmint hunter best out to 300 yards maximum, a floating dot that doesn't have crosshairs touching or the target at those ranges, illuminated is a plus, or a floating crosshair such as found on the Steiner predator series. The dot can't be over 2 moa coverage at 300 yards or it's of no use inmo.

Bater

WKR
I much prefer a floating dot for that application but it comes down to preference. Also matters what you mean by “varmint” as I would grab a different rifle for yotes than I would prairie dogs.

OP
O

ohlongarm

FNG
I much prefer a floating dot for that application but it comes down to preference. Also matters what you mean by “varmint” as I would grab a different rifle for yotes than I would prairie dogs.
In Ohio it's groundhogs and fox, and lots of coyotes my three different caliber choices are 204, 22 and my favorite 17 hornet.

I like the dot better but will shoot either. I've used a floating dot in a Kahles k624i to take a prairie dog at 1404 and a rock chuck at 1590. We call it the "death dot".

Blue72

WKR
I prefer dot

by the way dot size is not that important if you use a six o’clock hold. Plus I find it’s more accurate shooting that way