Flatlander from Texas with cell reception question

good morning folks. As the title cells i am from Texas and never hunted in CO before. I see the importance of an In Reach type device for the SOS features and tracking features. My question is an i know its not the same throughout the state but how bad is the cell reception really in the woods of Colorado? I have both AT&T and Verizon and am looking at Northern CO for chasing some elk for the first time this fall. Thanks in advance

cnelk

WKR
Man, you just never know where you can get cell reception. I get it in some of the weirdest places when hunting N Colo.

There are times we drive several miles just to get a text/call out

OP
Ricochet83
Thats kind of what I figured as I am sure there are dead zones in places but was just curious if it was like being completely unreachable for the most part.

WTFJohn

WKR
Man, you just never know where you can get cell reception. I get it in some of the weirdest places when hunting N Colo.

There are times we drive several miles just to get a text/call out

I concur; there are areas I can have 0 cell service close-ish to towns and areas deep in the wilderness with 4 bars of LTE. I live a few miles from the nearest town and have little to no Verizon service unless I climb up the ridge. ATT has full service (tower a few miles the other way).

A decent rule of thumb is any high ridge with line-of-sight towards civilization will have enough to call or text, the bottom and sides of most drainages will not.

OP
Ricochet83
What about the In-Reaches do they really improve your ability to be able to communicate via text by that much?

stisdale

FNG
What about the In-Reaches do they really improve your ability to be able to communicate via text by that much?

Can’t really speak to the mountains and the InReach but I’ve used mine from the sea of Cortez, to 180 miles offshore Costa Rica and all over the gulf with zero issues. Texted back and forth no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Love my Inreach - Never an issue

Mine goes with me everywhere, all the time.

When I leave my place to head to the mtns, I drive for 70 miles thru the mtns without cell reception.
Its nice to have communication in case of emergency

Vandy321

WKR
There is a pretty reliable (ive found) cell phone coverage map layer on GAIA. I don't use it often, but when I compare my service to what the layer claims, it's pretty accurate.

That said, if you're making the trek from Texas to hunt CO, you probaly arent broke, take the next few months and save $250 for a zoleo, the price of mind alone is worth it.

Yes they work from satellite not cell so you can text with zero cell service. I used one a few months ago for my muzzleloader season and it worked great. I was able to have my brother drop me and a buddy off in a spot where I didn’t want to leave my truck for 4 days and was able to text him when we were leaving camp and on our way back to the trailhead to get picked up. Some texts took a minute to send some took 10 min but it was real handy. The wife appreciated that I was able to check in once in awhile too. The sos feature is why I initially got it for solo trips, but the texting feature is pretty handy. I got the basic plan since it doesn’t get used every month and just pay the text overages which works out cheaper for me.

Gerbdog

WKR
Agreed with the above, cell phone service can be nowhere and then you hike up onto a knob and all of a sudden have signal. Only on that knob though. I also agree: dont count on it, and you could be 45+ minutes drive to cell signal again.

ClayA23

FNG
I have zero service where I hunt with ATT unless we drive into town. My In Reach works every time and has been great to keep the wife updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perfect. I really appreciate the insight
InReach works well 99% of the time. The one hang up is some lag time. Haven’t tried the Zoleo? But some say it’s a competitive option.

If you don’t mind spending the money they are good. You don’t have to though, people have hunted the mountains for millennia with out rapid communication! 😀

Your cell phone will work in enough spots if you need it

Z Barebow

WKR
Cell service is spotty in the mtns. Signal (for the most part) is line of site. If you can climb up to a ridge, you MAY be able to get signal. (It depends if there is a higher ridge/mtn in between you and the tower.

In Reach is a must have for me. I check in w/family (canned text) every night. (At least they will have a starting point to find body/claim life insurance) Many times camp is in the bottom of a drainage. Cell won't work.

Each has their place.