Flat Tops Cell Coverage

Anyone have a knowledge of ATT and Verizon service in the Flat Tops? Just trying to have an idea to let the wife know what to expect.

Thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just about nothing with att, especially deep in there. Try toggling airplane mode sometimes that will pick up a roaming partener with att.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't trust the coverage maps. They assume a tower will reach x miles but terrain plays a big factor. Also being a wilderness area I doubt there will ever be a tower in there.

Don't trust the coverage maps. They assume a tower will reach x miles but terrain plays a big factor. Also being a wilderness area I doubt there will ever be a tower in there.

I have the same opinion with you
Many thanks friends
We receive many info during this group
keep great publishing & wonderful pict :)
b.png

OP
T
Town wise is it safe to assume there is coverage in Glenwood Springs, Toponas, Buford, etc or will I have to drive to Meeker to get service

No cell in toponas, meeker, glenwood, Craig, yampa, have cell service in town once out of town it's hit or miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rifle should have service as well. I don't know if its my phone or Att but when I come out of a black hole and get near where I should have service I have to restart my phone. I would recommend a spot messenger, they cost about 150 and you can just pay for one month of service. Cheap piece of mind.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My flip phone with Verizon must be one powerful phone. 10 years ago it was spotty, but the last time I was up there (2012) I had cell service in camp and everywhere I went. Even had 5 bars where I shot my bull in 2012.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My flip phone with Verizon must be one powerful phone. 10 years ago it was spotty, but the last time I was up there (2012) I had cell service in camp and everywhere I went. Even had 5 bars when I shot my bull in 2012.
Probably has to do with verizon swapping their 3g towers to 4g. Their 4g doesn't travel as far.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Probably has to do with verizon swapping their 3g towers to 4g. Their 4g doesn't travel as far.

I would expect a tower change to be an "upgrade" not a downgrade. But in the world we live in today........I guess that makes perfect illogical sense.

I forgot, I did a scouting trip up there in August of 2015 and had service all around as well. We did the entire loop from Rifle to Meeker to Buford to Oak Creek to Yampa and then to Dotsero. Some of the canyons were spotty, but any of the higher places I would be hunting were fine.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would expect a tower change to be an "upgrade" not a downgrade. But in the world we live in today........I guess that makes perfect illogical sense.
Lol, that was Verizon's excuse to why my family gets crap service at home in conifer. They gave them a booster which only works through a hard line like century link or Comcast, neither provide service on their mountain.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lol, that was Verizon's excuse to why my family gets crap service at home in conifer. They gave them a booster which only works through a hard line like century link or Comcast, neither provide service on their mountain.

I used to have some engineers that used boosters out in the field with their cell phones, and they worked pretty well. No hard line required.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to have some engineers that used boosters out in the field with their cell phones, and they worked pretty well. No hard line required.
Sorry I ment the mini tower thing that runs through your home internet. Not an actual booster antenna. I will have them look into that.

At the southern end looking east down a canyon, my wife downloaded an e book. Overall 99% nothing.

bobhunts

WKR
I have had good service up there in the past with Sprint and Verizon. But service really sucked last year with Verizon. Ran into a couple of guys field dressing a bull and they were golden with ATT and they were locals.