Flashlight

I take a Princeton tec headlamp (not sure what model it is)

And a petzl as a backup - the one that doesn't have a strap, it has a cable instead that winds up so it is small in the pack. Even if I don't need it as backup, it always has a fresh set of batteries that I can rob if I need to.

For a thread about flashlights, there sure are a bunch of headlamps in here.:confused:

I think that shows most guys prefer headlamps. (still not the OP question though to be fair)

The thought of packing a flashlight hasn't crossed my mind ever since I bought my first good headlamp.

What is the reasoning behind packing a flashlight rather than a headlamp or 2?

What is the reasoning behind packing a flashlight rather than a headlamp or 2?

I can't stand a headlamp on my head, but I own three of them. Always have at least one in my pack, but I absolutely love my mini flashlight in my hand when I'm hiking in the dark. I can point it wherever I want without turning my whole head to that point, and it puts out a heck of a better spotlight beam than any headlamp I've ever seen. I can also cover it with my fingers to limit the amount of light that comes out of it, so that it doesn't light up the forest. Now when breaking down an animal in the dark, I'm all about headlamps at that point. I actually carry two headlamps (flood and spot) along with my flashlight.

5Miles, The Zebralight IS a flashlight. It's just small & light enough that they put a free head strap in the box, so you can use it as a headlamp, too... ;)

Used the H52w while camping this weekend, and definitely prefer the spot beam for maneuvering in the dark over rocks & roots, as compared to more dispersed throw of the H502w. No worries, the H502w is now on backup duty! Carry a spare Eneloop inside the 502, and they share the same head strap.

Also, the Zebralight has three intensity settings that are user configurable. Can be set to whatever intensity you want, to save battery life...

5Miles, The Zebralight IS a flashlight. It's just small & light enough that they put a free head strap in the box, so you can use it as a headlamp, too... ;)

Used the H52w while camping this weekend, and definitely prefer the spot beam for maneuvering in the dark over rocks & roots, as compared to more dispersed throw of the H502w. No worries, the H502w is now on backup duty! Carry a spare Eneloop inside the 502, and they share the same head strap.

Also, the Zebralight has three intensity settings that are user configurable. Can be set to whatever intensity you want, to save battery life...

There are actually about three times more energy settings on the Zebralights than that. You can do fast clicks or hold the button and do slow clicks. Read the manual, it's pretty crazy what it can do.

Wow, sure is!
Truthfully, I never went further than tweaking the factory settings to find happiness.

BTW, need to thank you, slim! IIRC it was a post of yours a year or so ago that turned me onto these Zebralights. I apprecate ya sharing!

Wow, sure is!
Truthfully, I never went further than tweaking the factory settings to find happiness.

BTW, need to thank you, slim! IIRC it was a post of yours a year or so ago that turned me onto these Zebralights. I apprecate ya sharing!

No problem! Glad you loved it as much as I do.

For those of you running a 600 zebra light...do you prefer the flood or regular version, and what do you do for batteries...you just buy multiple 18650 batteries from them and make sure they are charged before heading out? The 600 looks amazing with all that lumen capability but I'm partial to lights that take AA or AAA for availability?

Maglite XL50
Elusive Technologies XLR250
and a TLR1 on my rifle
All three stay with me and extra batteries for each.
I am not sure if I could choose only one to carry.

surprised no one likes pelican, my favorite. have both aa and rechargeable units with reflex lamps. 100% reliability here

For those of you running a 600 zebra light...do you prefer the flood or regular version, and what do you do for batteries...you just buy multiple 18650 batteries from them and make sure they are charged before heading out? The 600 looks amazing with all that lumen capability but I'm partial to lights that take AA or AAA for availability?

I carry one in the headlamp charged and 1 extra 18650 for 10 days, but I also take my H502w as a camp/multi-purpose light. I feel like the flood is a waste of lumens. I want the ability to see 100 yards if I need to, and have a flood that makes it like daylight around me for 20 yards at the same time. It's nice to see if you are getting cliffed out or what animal is crunching your direction, not to mention plan your route out of the blowdown patch you killed your bull in. :)

I saw those, but the lumen output compared to the 600 is a huge difference!

Yep, the 18650 batteries are higher voltage and have more power density. Which both allow for higher lumens.

The H52 lights are both bright lights, considering they are single AA. I especially like the H52Fw for close work at medium and lower settings.

My ideal setup is A H600w MK II and the H52Fw. The only thing that would make it better is if they both used AA but had the voltage and reserve of the 18650 batteries.

These are the best 18650 batteries I have found.
http://www.orbtronic.com/protected-3400mah-18650-li-ion-battery-panasonic-ncr18650B-orbtronic

Back