Flashlight

Princeton Tec headlamp, fenix PD 35 handheld and both take the same batteries. I also have a small led push button on one of my pack zipper pulls.

Randy

Flashlight - Fenix LD22 when backpacking. Its fairly light and takes the same batteries as my GPS and has a optional red filter cap for the lens. Also use a Fenix PD35 sometimes when I need more light or know I'll be using a flashlight quite a bit.

Headlamp - Petzl Tactikka XP(now discontinued) my favorite headlamp to date. What sets this apart in my opinion is the lens filters. red, blue, green and a flood filter and they slide over the main beam when you need a color light.... not a week cheesy side secendary LED that barely puts out enough light to hit the ground. So if your want to run a red light at night this actually puts out alot of usable light. Its 40 lumens with an additional boost mode if you need it. I use this for predator calling at night and have seen coyote eyes 100 yards away or more while calling before switching over to the handheld to light them up.

Zebralight

One quality AA battery gives incredible lumens and lasts for what feels like forever. Especially on the lowest setting, which is more than bright enough for camp and tent/tarp lighting.

It also comes with a headband as part of the kit. H52 is the model I thing but it is worth every penny and more.

1 drawback (for some) is the flood only option...Its such a great lightbeam that you don't even notice not having it.

In addition to my headlamp, I carry a Life Gear single AA flashlight. It's about 4 1/2" long and 3/4" wide and puts out a solid beam that will light up a spot 100 yards away. I love that thing. I have two of them, and am always using them around the house as well. I just wish I had bought a couple more of them for the vehicles. I can't find this model anymore. All the newer ones are bigger with a flasher on the end. I like how compact these are.

The best part was how ridiculously cheap they were, I think $30 for a two-pack. I've been using these for three years, and my 3C cell larger 400 lumen ones for probably 5-6 years, and only had one problem. The power button stuck on one of the C cell ones and I sent it back to them. Had a new one at my door within two weeks.

Last edited:
Elzetta Bravo..best light I have ever laid hands on. Tough as nails "literally saw a video of them pounding nails with the flashlight" and made in USA. LOVE my elzettas. Have an Alpha on my AR as well.

i have a bunch of surefire lights.

but i dont pack them an anymore. i take either a streamlight TL1 that uses a single CR123 battery. blazing bright, and the light is TINY!!

or a streamlight...hmm..it's in my pocket right now..a PROTAC 2AA. the name tells us it uses two AA batteries. blazing bright as well. cheaper to run. slightly bigger. both streamlights are embarassingly low cost :D

i go nowhere in the backcountry without a headlamp as well.

I had one fall off my head, hit the only rock on the trail and break. I carry a teeny weeny LED light about the size of my thumbnail but is better than nothing if I happen to lose or break my main light.

Zebralight H600w. Over 1000 lumens handsfree when I need to carry heavy weight out of some nasty shit hole. Can't beat it.

Two zebra head lamps. A 52 for general use and a 600 for finding lost or hurt friends. Had a buddy get lost in the Tetons trip and crack his head open (14 stitches)
Looked for him for several hours. Must have walked with in a few yards of him several times before we heard him moaning. Won't go with out something really bright

Only zebra light here as well. I get a kick out of my buddies that say I just got this new light and it is so bright. When I pull out my zebra light they can't believe it.
They are durable, lightweight, and have incredible light output. Plus 5 levels so it isn't burning your buddies retinas out. Lol
By far the best price to lumen output there is.
Keep it together, rob.

Back