FL Solitude or Kuiu Proximity?

Jpr778

FNG
Looking for some advice from the Midwest hunters! I’m in the market for some better clothes while hunting the rut here in the Midwest.
First Lite has their solitude jacket and bibs 40% off right now, they look pretty decent. 99% of the stuff I have for western hunting is Kuiu and I love it all, that’s why I’m interested in the proximity set. The only features I really care about are
1) Warmth
2) Has to be Quiet
3) pockets
4) Ventilation options - I normally have a decent hike in and like to be able to open up and dump some heat.

Anyone have any input on either of these?

Buckhead

FNG
Have the Solitude jacket and bibs. Although I have some Kuiu stuff, not the pieces you mentioned.

Normally a Sitka guy, bought the Solitude as I was looking for an alternative to my Fanatic jacket and bibs. The Fanatic is overkill for hunting here in N Georgia. During the hunting season, temps rarely drop below 20 degrees. The Solitude isn’t as thick/heavy, is better in briars, and the camo pattern is more versatile. The Solitude is wind proof and if properly layered, is warm into the high teens. Good value at the sale price. Haven’t used my Fanatic system in the last couple of years.

I have the solitude set and used the last 4 seasons in upper Midwest. Ventilation is ok as the pants are full side zipper, but they are pretty warm and I stuff them in a backpack for long hikes and put them on right before climbing the tree. They are very quiet and comfortable. I start using them late October in Wisconsin (40 degrees or colder) with a thin merino layer and the pants/shirt I hike in on underneath, and then during often frigid Wisconsin rifle season I put on a puffy or thick merino layer under and am pretty toasty. I mostly use the jacket pockets and like them a lot. The pants pockets mid leg are useful if you need to stow more stuff. I hope this helps let me know if you have questions or what you decide to go with!

Ho5tile1

WKR
Don’t know about the solitude stuff I’m a Sitka person when it gets real cold but I do have the kuiu proximity set and it’s awesome I would bet it’s not as warm as the solitude if the solitude is anything like the Sitka fanatic. With the right base layers the proximity will get you down pretty low depending on how cold or hot you run. I run cold so when it’s below 32 I’m using the fanatic set. The proximity is super functional and has great ventilation for the hike in. I pack it in and dress at the tree. If I was looking for something for real cold I’d probably go for the solitude since I get cold easy once I’m up in the tree…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jpr778

Jpr778

FNG
Don’t know about the solitude stuff I’m a Sitka person when it gets real cold but I do have the kuiu proximity set and it’s awesome I would bet it’s not as warm as the solitude if the solitude is anything like the Sitka fanatic. With the right base layers the proximity will get you down pretty low depending on how cold or hot you run. I run cold so when it’s below 32 I’m using the fanatic set. The proximity is super functional and has great ventilation for the hike in. I pack it in and dress at the tree. If I was looking for something for real cold I’d probably go for the solitude since I get cold easy once I’m up in the tree…

How is it with wind? I have heard such mixed things on it being good with wind, some saying it has little to no protection.

Ho5tile1

WKR
It’s decent with wind at least the jacket and the pants not the wind shirt it blocks zero wind. It does not block wind as good as the fanatic set but it does pretty good.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I will say I really like the proximity set but I normally use it for 36ish and up to the 40s it’s a great set it’s just not as warm as my fanatic but it’s also less bulky

Ho5tile1

WKR
After reading some on the solitude it says mid season so the proximity might be the better choice or the first lite sanctuary would be better

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I can tell you from having both. They are neither one good to walk any distance in. Also the proximity will let the wind through and freeze you out. The solitude is a great set I’ve wore down in single digits with appropriate layers. The windproof membrane makes a huge difference. Both are plenty quiet killed deer in both. Froze out in upper 20s in the proximity. Never was cold ever in the solitude. You can use fewer layers in the solitude. Better bring extra in the proximity

Ho5tile1

WKR
Well there ya go he has used both but my proximity blocks wind pretty good not like my Sitka but decent

OP
Jpr778

Jpr778

FNG
I can tell you from having both. They are neither one good to walk any distance in. Also the proximity will let the wind through and freeze you out. The solitude is a great set I’ve wore down in single digits with appropriate layers. The windproof membrane makes a huge difference. Both are plenty quiet killed deer in both. Froze out in upper 20s in the proximity. Never was cold ever in the solitude. You can use fewer layers in the solitude. Better bring extra in the proximity
Exactly what I was looking for. Going to order the solitude kit now! Can’t beat 40% off. What size bibs did you get? I’m 6’0 185 athletic build but 31-32 inch waist, chart is telling me medium.

Lowg08

WKR
Exactly what I was looking for. Going to order the solitude kit now! Can’t beat 40% off. What size bibs did you get? I’m 6’0 185 athletic build but 31-32 inch waist, chart is telling me medium.
I had the 2xl I’m 6’2” 230 built like a silverback gorilla. 36” waist. 36” inseam. The kit link hand warmer is pretty nice too.

I don't have any intel on the Proximity but I have the First Lite Sanctuary for really cold weather here in Wisconsin and the Solitude for most of my fall Whitetail hunting...love them both. Also have Sitka Fanatic and end up using the First Lite stuff.

OP
Jpr778

Jpr778

FNG
Just wanted to give an update since I’ve received the solitude kit. I’ll keep it as short and to the point as possible.
1) Warmth - seems like it’ll be perfect for what I bought it for. I can see these getting me through the entire season in Ohio with proper layering. I tend to only hunt cold fronts so I don’t go out all that much when it’s above 50.
2) Quiet - it’s quiet enough. It is not as quiet as a straight fleece or wool piece would be, but the positive to that is it doesn’t seem like it will be a magnet for burrs and what not. Win - win situation.
3) Pockets - I try to take advantage of pockets and bring a minimal amount of gear with a very small pack that is attached to my LWCG 0.5 seat. Plenty of pockets to store gear, pass through feature to use the integrated handmuff is awesome. One less piece of gear I’ll have to bring.
4) Ventilation - I really like that the bibs can be removed and zipped back on without having to take off boots, I will probably pack them in and zip them on before climbing tree. If I am hiking with them on, I can unzip them some to dump heat. For some reason I can’t recall how I feel about the jacket.

The collar really sucks for bow hunting, you either have to fold it inside the jacket or leave the top 10 inches or so unzipped to make sure there’s enough clearance. Inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. The medium bibs were too small for me even with a 32” waist, they were too tight around my thighs and created a lot of pressure on my knees while sitting. I returned those to FL and got a large from Camofire.
The solitude line is now discontinued and you can find good deals on them everywhere because everyone is dumping them to upgrade to the new whitetail gear they released. I can’t see it being worth $900 total for a jacket and bibs.

Just wanted to give an update since I’ve received the solitude kit. I’ll keep it as short and to the point as possible.
1) Warmth - seems like it’ll be perfect for what I bought it for. I can see these getting me through the entire season in Ohio with proper layering. I tend to only hunt cold fronts so I don’t go out all that much when it’s above 50.
2) Quiet - it’s quiet enough. It is not as quiet as a straight fleece or wool piece would be, but the positive to that is it doesn’t seem like it will be a magnet for burrs and what not. Win - win situation.
3) Pockets - I try to take advantage of pockets and bring a minimal amount of gear with a very small pack that is attached to my LWCG 0.5 seat. Plenty of pockets to store gear, pass through feature to use the integrated handmuff is awesome. One less piece of gear I’ll have to bring.
4) Ventilation - I really like that the bibs can be removed and zipped back on without having to take off boots, I will probably pack them in and zip them on before climbing tree. If I am hiking with them on, I can unzip them some to dump heat. For some reason I can’t recall how I feel about the jacket.

The collar really sucks for bow hunting, you either have to fold it inside the jacket or leave the top 10 inches or so unzipped to make sure there’s enough clearance. Inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. The medium bibs were too small for me even with a 32” waist, they were too tight around my thighs and created a lot of pressure on my knees while sitting. I returned those to FL and got a large from Camofire.
The solitude line is now discontinued and you can find good deals on them everywhere because everyone is dumping them to upgrade to the new whitetail gear they released. I can’t see it being worth $900 total for a jacket and bibs.
Glad to hear you like it! After seeing the new FL line released it is hard to comprehend the benefits of the 900 system over the solitude. Very glad i got mine when i did a few years ago.

FWIW I have used a solitude for a few years now. I sized up so I can layer. I find it lacking warmth on our coldest days in the northeast when it gets to the teens or lower. It’s great for me 20-40*. I think the pockets on both jacket and bib are pretty slick.

Doubt I would upgrade until I somehow wore this set out but the new stuff looks like a so,I’d design evolution.