FL size below .200” line?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have a bullet central micron bushing die. It sizes all the way down the case, below the .200” line. Is this an issue? It definitely takes a little more force to get the die up, it wants to stick on the hard part of the case.

Lawnboi

WKR
Many of the premium dies size a little farther down the case. Similar to a small base die by some of the more main stream companies.

It shouldn’t cause any issues and personally I see it as a benefit.

Just make sure you’re applying ample lube to that area.

It also could be a mix of how your chamber matches the die, not uncommon to have 2 different chambers of the same caliber size differently depending on who and how they designed the die.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Many of the premium dies size a little farther down the case. Similar to a small base die by some of the more main stream companies.

It shouldn’t cause any issues and personally I see it as a benefit.

Just make sure you’re applying ample lube to that area.

It also could be a mix of how your chamber matches the die, not uncommon to have 2 different chambers of the same caliber size differently depending on who and how they designed the die.

I’m right here without shoulder bump. It’s on the first firing so I’m not going to push it. Brass should grow more. I just don’t want it to stick. Stuck brass sucks.

You can see the dirty line, and yes I’ll clean the die. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 64

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m right here without shoulder bump. It’s on the first firing so I’m not going to push it. Brass should grow more. I just don’t want it to stick. Stuck brass sucks.

You can see the dirty line, and yes I’ll clean the die. 😉
Looks good, I’d personally rather have a die that sizes to the base than have to deal with a tight piece of brass.

0.2 is just a general reference location. Actual location of the solid cup is different for each cartridge and could even change some between brands of brass.

I like how far down you are getting sizing in the picture.

You really won’t be able to size the solid base of brass so it there is no gap between die and shell holder when at bottom of stroke it’s working and the micron die is doing what it is supposed to.

Measure the diameter at that location before sizing, after sizing and then again after you have fired that piece of brass.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
That is a well designed die. Unless there is a mismatch between chamber and die you will get along good. Imperial sizing wax for a few cases or liquid lanolin with 99% isopropyl for a whole bunch. As long as you get enough lube on cases, it is rare that my extreme spread for base to datum is more than .001" after sizing with lanolin/alcohol.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well, I got my first clickers today. OP, did you specifically buy these dies because of this issue? I’m now trying to figure out my best course of action. Don’t want to trash the brass, and I don’t want to bump shoulders down more than necessary. I wish there was a body die that only sized this area, leaving the shoulder untouched. Or is there?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well, I got my first clickers today. OP, did you specifically buy these dies because of this issue? I’m now trying to figure out my best course of action. Don’t want to trash the brass, and I don’t want to bump shoulders down more than necessary. I wish there was a body die that only sized this area, leaving the shoulder untouched. Or is there?
What caliber?

I’m using the bullet central micron die. It would work in this situation. Depending on the brass a gunsmith might be able to open up the chamber as well.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
6.5 prc and ADG. Its a known issue.
Yep. My 7saum does it with ADG brass too. Not as bad once the gunsmith opened up the chamber but it still does it.

I believe they have a micron fl die in 6.5prc. They are bushing dies.

OK, this is more cost-effective. So if I run it without the mandrel, it works just like a body die, right? Bumping shoulders and resizing the web, only it does so further down towards the case head? Do I have that right?

It doesn't touch the shoulder at all. It will hit the web down to the extractor groove. The diameter of your case will depend on how far up the die will touch it but likely wouldn't be more than 1/3 way up the body.

So it would be a separate operation from the FL sizing, but it's a cost effective solution to that particular problem.

SDHNTR

WKR
It doesn't touch the shoulder at all. It will hit the web down to the extractor groove. The diameter of your case will depend on how far up the die will touch it but likely wouldn't be more than 1/3 way up the body.

So it would be a separate operation from the FL sizing, but it's a cost effective solution to that particular problem.
Ah, interesting. So it only sizes the bottom 1/3 of the case? I normally don’t like adding extra steps but can live with it in this case.

crich

WKR
Ah, interesting. So it only sizes the bottom 1/3 of the case? I normally don’t like adding extra steps but can live with it in this case.
It wouldn't be an extra step if you bought a mandrel along with it and made that part of your routine for consistent neck tension.

SloppyJ

WKR
It wouldn't be an extra step if you bought a mandrel along with it and made that part of your routine for consistent neck tension.

Just so I'm clear.... FL size then run the mandrel die? Just started out with load dev for my 300prc and I'm always looking for ways to make my reloads more consistent. I haven't branched out to mandrel dies yet.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah. I’ll try that too, but if I don’t want to use the mandrel and just want to size the base of the case I should do that first, and then FL size as normal right? Because won’t resizing the base change the overall dimensions some?

Yeah. I’ll try that too, but if I don’t want to use the mandrel and just want to size the base of the case I should do that first, and then FL size as normal right? Because won’t resizing the base change the overall dimensions some?

Here is my case I ran through that die. Ignore the jacked up neck. I happened to get an older one before they started opening the neck larger to accommodate other calibers. They fixed it for me.

1714230247016.png

About the bottom third is sized. It could be less if your chamber is cut correctly. My chamber was cut too large through the body.

If you use it after FL sizing cases that have grown to max size in the chamber, it might lengthen the base to shoulder by 0.001. Mine did because I took that 0.200/web (0.275) area from 0.5025 to 0.499. you can account for that if you use it after the FL die. OR you can use it before the FL die if you're not using a mandrel. Also, if you use it every time from the start, it will keep that area in check and won't size it as much so you won't see any change in base to shoulder.