FL catalyst vs sanctuary pants

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I will preface this by saying I am an eastern style hunter (Arkansas) in that i tree stand hunt. I pretty much have Sept-mid November covered. I wear my corrugate guides early then add my black ovis wool leggings around end of October all the way to thanksgiving. But I noticed last year that the corrugates did a poor job around thanksgiving. And when I say that I mostly mean morning times when it’s coldest.

So I was originally thinking I’d just buy a pair of obsidians for thanksgiving to New Years but now I’m thinking maybe I should look at a stouter pair of pants. I’ve narrowed it down to the catalyst or sanctuary. I pretty much bow hunt all year (although this year I’m thinking I may brush off the .308 around thanksgiving if nothing has hit the ground yet) so silence is golden which they both advertise they excel in. The weather isn’t that bad and stays in the low 30s at dawn maybe a tad lower. And gets up to the 50s around mid day. But it is treestand hunting so there isn’t a lot (any) movement to be had to stay warm. 3-10mph wind for the most part. Walking wise will never be more than a 1-200 yards (fortunate to have a lease). In fact the worst part may just be the early morning 4wheeler ride lol. So what do you recommend?

I don’t have a catalyst but I have a north branch jacket and had a pair of pants. Sold the pants. They were good but I felt like I got to basically the same place with a corrugate pant and a base layer. I wil up the base layer to expedition weight. I even wore a set of Sitka puffins under my corrugates.

After a few cold blind and stand sits last year I decided to get a pair of sanctuary pants. I only used them on the tail end of winter but they are (1) heavy and (2) a furnace. They kept me super warm standing still but they are next to worthless walking.

i am an eastern hunter myself. own a lot of first lite gear. the catalyst are the new version/replacement for the north branch pants. they are suppose to quiet. i own the NB pants and one thing i like about them is that they are set up as bibs but not as thick as the sanctuary bibs. they have the side zips to use the potty or dump heat if needed. also they are fleeced lined. i do own the sanctuary jacket and boy does that keep you nice and toasty. i think if you can layer the catalyst, you will be good.

The sanctuary bibs are very heavy and will restrict movement, plus you will sweat to death if you walk any distance in them. I put them on at the base of the tree when it’s really cold and I’m doing all day sits.

I’d look at he new catalyst stuff. With a layer under them for what your wanting.

The obsidians aren’t going to be any warmer then what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sanctuary bibs are very, very warm. I hunt into the late season in Northern IL and don’t get cold (have the sanctuary jacket also). I carry that stuff to the tree and start sweating before I’m up in my climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you guys say layering the catalyst and I should be good are you meaning like a pair of merino leggings underneath them? Or like the leggings and corrrugate guides underneath them? I’d like to keep it to 1 base layer and 1 outer layer.

I hunt KS in December for whitetails and I like the Kuiu Kenai zip off puffy pants under any of the Sitka or Kryptek softshell pants. I have longer walks and often don't put them on until I'm in my ground blind or in a ditch or concealed behind some brush near where I will sit. They are really breathable to keep me from overheating but much warmer than just a base. If I need more I'll layer merino or FL Aerowool bases under them. For a 200yd walk you'd be fine wearing them in, I walk further than that predator hunting in them.

The Obsidians are really quiet. I bought 2 pair and one ripped out when I snagged a thorn the third time I wore them, I fixed them and sold the good pair before ruining them. Unless you need absolute silence I'd go with something more durable. I bought the Catalyst jacket and it seems very quiet and more durable. I'd probably try the Catalyst pants if I needed a new pair and layer the FL Aerowool under them for cooler weather, the Kuiu Kenai's for cold weather, and both for really cold weather.

When you guys say layering the catalyst and I should be good are you meaning like a pair of merino leggings underneath them? Or like the leggings and corrrugate guides underneath them? I’d like to keep it to 1 base layer and 1 outer layer.

Catalysts with some number of base layers underneath, or continue to run your Corrugates and mix up your baselayer game. I think if you are willing to compromise on only wearing one layer under your pants you will find a solution that is cheaper and ultimately more flexible than Sanctuary bibs, which in 30F weather is like driving a nail with a ball peen hammer.

My suggestion would be to grab a set of FL EXP 350 bottoms, or Cabela's Standhunter bottoms, and layer over those with KUIU zip-off merino or poly bottoms. You can wait until you get to your tree or zip on the KUIUs, and if the temperature swings up you can remove them without taking your boots off. The Catalysts will be quieter, more weather resistant, and a bit warmer than your Corrugates, but they are pricey.

Back