fixed broadhead question.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
So this year I've switched to the Sevr's and have had no issue with flight. But I also keep one fixed in the quiver. Last year I was using the Magnus black hornet's and they flew terrific. Ended up giving those to my brother to use and had the stinger's as backup's. But every time I shoot that stinger at the last min it curves left of the bulls about 2-inches and high about the same. So I guess the question is. Why? Is it a surface area issue? Is it a bow tuning issue? Btw. The hornet's fly just fine still but those stingers are just wonky. Any thoughts?

Did you try another stinger or are you shooting the same head over and over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your bow isn't broadhead tuned, especially if it's doing it with different heads and different arrows.
It shoots other fixed and the other magnus. Just can’t figure out why the stingers are so off

It shoots other fixed and the other magnus. Just can’t figure out why the stingers are so off

Because they are less forgiving.

Not all fixed heads have the same amount of surface area/drag. They act like vanes on the front of a shaft. Bigger heads catch more air, push the front more than smaller vanes.

I tune with big fixed, small fletching. Usually hunt with small/mech and bigger fletching. I want a forgiving setup to actually hunt with, frequently you aren't shooting from a position that allows perfect form.

2 inches off isn't much.

Although it might appear to, nothing happens to the arrow "at the last minute" (unless it's getting hit with a gust of wind, which is unlikely to happen repeatedly). Once the arrow loses contact with the string and rest, its trajectory all the way to the target has been determined (again excepting the potential influence of changing winds during flight). If multiple heads on multiple arrows are consistently landing 2" high and left of field points, it's likely a minor bow tuning issue. The charts below show various adjustments that can be made to correct a high/left broadhead.Screenshot_20210219-073736.pngScreenshot_20210219-073524.png

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Billy Goat and Mighty Mouse give good info.
Different fixed blades can require a bit different bow tune to fly with field points, vs a different brand of fixed blades.
No big deal, as long as the impact point is consistent the bow can be tuned for it. I highly doubt there's anything "wrong", those heads just plane a bit more than the others you've tried. Takes a bit longer for the fletching to stabilize the arrow.
Tune it out or go back to the Black Hornets.

I also switched to Sevr's this year, the 1.5".
Perhaps you're aware but wanted to mention it. If you shoot the Sevrs in practice mode with the screw installed, it is a good idea to take the head apart afterwards and clean out the fine target material that collects in the ferrule slot where the blades sit. After I shot mine several times in practice mode, I found that the blades would not open very smoothly from all of the fine target foam that had collected in there. I would not just remove the practice screw and put on o-ring, and then put straight into the quiver without cleaning them.
I also found them to be pretty dull out of the package. I used a KME jig and they would shave hair off my arm afterwards.

Zac

WKR
You have a low right tear. At that distance you should only need minor rest adjustments. Move the rest left, and down. Fixing the horizontal first may correct the vertical as well so do one adjustment at a time.

Tilzbow

WKR
As previously mentioned your bow might be slightly out of tune, or the Stingers you’re trying aren’t perfectly aligned with the arrow shaft you’re shooting them on, have a slight wobble and are causing the issue.

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
The bow is less than a year old. I'm gonna have it looked at after season just to make sure. I mean it's shooting sevr's and the magnus black hornets just fine so I'm ok with it for now.

The bow is less than a year old. I'm gonna have it looked at after season just to make sure. I mean it's shooting sevr's and the magnus black hornets just fine so I'm ok with it for now.

Just out of curiousity, Do you have "enough" fletching to keep the arrow stabilized?