Fish out of water, a guided(ish) whitetail hunt

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Through a series of events, I'm going on a rifle whitetail hunt in November. It sounds like we'll be staying in the property owners house. He will be driving us near stand locations and we will walk in. Temps were single digits low teens for the hunt last year. The blinds are elevated box blinds. I'm planning on buying some puffy pants and maybe even bringing a quilt. I figured bringing a stove with dehydrated meals and plenty of water to make warm lunches if I do an all day sit would be taking it up a level.

Any gear considerations or things I should ask the owner before I go?

I've never done a guided(ish) or whitetail hunt so I'm not sure what things I should be aware of.

Side note, I'll be flying into Edmonton from Sea. Figured I'm packing my essentials into my daypack as a carry-on. Gun and extra stuff will go as checked.

Drenalin

WKR
Whitetail are crackheads, generally. They spook at real and imagined smells, sounds, and movement, sometimes dramatically and without any warning. Mature bucks aren't as prone to totally freak out, but they'll quietly spook before you ever know they're around. Other deer will tolerate more, but even if you're not targeting them I'd be cautious not to spook them because of the aftermath.

Because of that, the only thing really special about whitetail hunting is that you'll be sitting still and quiet for hour upon hour upon hour. So anything that helps you accomplish that is a benefit. Definitely puffy pants, and I sometimes use a quilt too when it's anywhere near as cold as you've described. The big handwarmers are a must, and I've gone as far as to use those back warmers that stick on and stretch across my kidneys. An extra pad to sit on would probably be worthwhile too, not knowing what the seating situation is in your guide/host's blinds. If you're a coffee drinker, I encourage you to bring a good thermos so you're using the stove as little as possible. It's not a bad idea to bring along a dehydrated meal, but I wouldn't want to be messing with or running the stove very often, even in a blind. I'd bring a bottle to pee in, not because I think urine spooks deer but because I wouldn't want to be climbing in and out of the blind for bathroom breaks. Just make sure it has plenty of volume and a wide mouth. If you need to occasionally read a little or play a game on your phone to keep from going stir crazy, make sure you also bring a charger.

I'd also want to know from the guide/host what the plan is for wind shifts through the day. There's little point in sitting in a blind upwind of expected deer activity. Can you move with or in anticipation of shifts without interfering with other hunters? Or does the guide need to come get you and move you? Or do they expect you to ride it out?

Being ear pro. A gun is loud enough as it is, if you've never shot one in an enclosed space, it really sucks without good ear pro.

Good luck!

Scottyboy

WKR
All very good advice advice from @Drenalin

Touch base with your outfit, see how they hunt deer and adjust from there. If they say we sit from morning to night try packing a TV or something like it as it will be a loonnnggg day 😃

I know some (most) on here will say that antelope is the easiest hunt to do. I would also say that blind/box hunting whitetail is the most boring hunt you can do….and I’ve been doing it for 25 years 😩

Boot blankets and electric heated vest or baselayers make a big difference if the box blinds aren’t heated. I have nice puffy pants for western hunts, they aren’t suitable for sitting for whitetail. Not nearly warm enough. Some big warm bibs make a big difference.

Definitely want insulated boot blankets but if you're in a box blind a sleeping bag is amazing for comfort too. I bring them into my tree stands when it gets into the single digits

All of the above info is good. For deep cold sits I usually carry in surplus bunny boots, with heavy wool socks and chemical toe warmer or the heated insoles in. Leave the top unlaced so air can move around feet and up pants leg. I don't walk in with these on though. Lots of high calorie foods/snacks. I usually take the smaller snickers bars unwrapped and dumped in a ziplock bag that has the slide closure. The electric clothing has been a game changer also, for when you get a chill. I've only used a Milwaukee vest, but a hand muff would be nice. I wear the vet over a base layer so I feel the heat. My girlfriend likes the electric hand warmers, she has circulation issues. A good warm hat also.

For that cold and since you would be in an inclosed blind I would look into getting a HeaterBody Suite. Basically a big sleeping bag that you can get top off fairly fast enough to shoot. There is another brand that is a bit faster since it has arms on it. Also since you are in inclosed blinds and shouldn't have issues getting wet, may want to go with down insulation. It is warmer than synthetic.

If you are able to get all your clothing pieces together I would go shoot a bit with it all on. It will change how the rifle feels. When you go to take a shot don't breath where your breath will hit the scope, unless the blind is heated and humidity stays lower.

Most of your clothing will depend on if you have a heater or not.

Rich M

WKR
You can use those thermacare things to help stay warm, put one on yer lower back and it’ll warm upu for at least 4-6 hrs.

Sterno works real good too, small package.

Good luck.

mkelemen

FNG
I havent used the heater body suits, but guys that hunt late season here in WI swear by them. Probably your best option in a box blind. If I'm in the treestand in that weather, layering is most important. Good baselayers, bibs, and everything in between. Not sure how cold tolerant you are, but most people aren't lasting all day in those temps without artificial heat. Puffy pants won't cut it. 3 hours in a treestand with a pretty dialed in layering system is good enough for me at 8 degrees.

If you need some new warm clothes, look at the code of silence stuff. Really impressed and good guys if you call and talk to em.

Hot hands and the like are necessary. Get a hand muff, or some good mittens!

Insulated boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mi650

WKR
When it's that cold, I believe in Mother Nature. I have a goose down coat and long Johns, rabbit fur hat and gauntlets. On top of all that, hot packs & heated insoles too.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I'd bring some sort of charging device for your phone if you need to pass time. There can be some lulls that will bore you to death.

Need an Iwom, it's a sleeping bag bottom, jacket top. Awesome for sitting in cold temps.

Ask to make sure you have cell service.

Then you need a giant battery pack to keep your phone charged.

Finally you need a good thread to meme bomb.

I hate spot burning, but lately I been using this for my meme generator.

For hot meals instead of a stove, I carry an old fashioned thermos. Pre-heat it, then put your hot water in it. My thermos has an extra cooler type sleeve it fits into. Keeps water plenty hot if everything is prepped correctly. Easier, maybe better than dealing with heating and the possible smells and off gas created.

If no service I take some books to read.

Picture books, I'm kinda simple.

3855WIN

FNG
Ask the outfitter if he has heaters in the blinds. If not, order a buddy heater and have it sent up there. I have a metal tray for my heater that allows you to warm things up on it.

A couple of the disposable hand warmers earmarked only for gutting deer. Ever since a miserable late season gutting job on a doe that had lost most of its body heat I always save a couple for that purpose on cold days.

Being able to grab one and warm my hands up occasionally makes it a lot easier and safer since I can feel the knife handle much better.

dtrkyman

WKR
I started bringing an old sleeping bag in my ground blinds late season, pull it up under my armpits and stay ready, of course I was bowhunting. In an elevated blind rifle hunting I would be all in!

I would think they have heaters?

JGTWI

WKR
Whitetail are crackheads, generally. They spook at real and imagined smells, sounds, and movement, sometimes dramatically and without any warning. Mature bucks aren't as prone to totally freak out, but they'll quietly spook before you ever know they're around. Other deer will tolerate more, but even if you're not targeting them I'd be cautious not to spook them because of the aftermath.

Because of that, the only thing really special about whitetail hunting is that you'll be sitting still and quiet for hour upon hour upon hour. So anything that helps you accomplish that is a benefit. Definitely puffy pants, and I sometimes use a quilt too when it's anywhere near as cold as you've described. The big handwarmers are a must, and I've gone as far as to use those back warmers that stick on and stretch across my kidneys. An extra pad to sit on would probably be worthwhile too, not knowing what the seating situation is in your guide/host's blinds. If you're a coffee drinker, I encourage you to bring a good thermos so you're using the stove as little as possible. It's not a bad idea to bring along a dehydrated meal, but I wouldn't want to be messing with or running the stove very often, even in a blind. I'd bring a bottle to pee in, not because I think urine spooks deer but because I wouldn't want to be climbing in and out of the blind for bathroom breaks. Just make sure it has plenty of volume and a wide mouth. If you need to occasionally read a little or play a game on your phone to keep from going stir crazy, make sure you also bring a charger.

I'd also want to know from the guide/host what the plan is for wind shifts through the day. There's little point in sitting in a blind upwind of expected deer activity. Can you move with or in anticipation of shifts without interfering with other hunters? Or does the guide need to come get you and move you? Or do they expect you to ride it out?

Being ear pro. A gun is loud enough as it is, if you've never shot one in an enclosed space, it really sucks without good ear pro.

Good luck!
Great tips