First trad bow

I got a PSE Nighthawk for Christmas and have been very happy with it. The bow looks good too and have a quality fit and finish. You can get bow squares for about $15 on Amazon and its easy to set up a nock point. Make sure you get a stringer and an arm guard as well.

Beendare

WKR
Buying an expensive bow to start is a mistake, IMO.

I think the guys recommending the cheap Black Wolf or similar setups is perfect to start. Then you can up your poundage and move into something that suits you- right now, there is no way to know what that is until you shoot for awhile.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I've found the cheaper but known brands hold their value reasonably well, the Black Hunters, Sammick Sages and PSE Nighthawks seem to still sell secondhand for maybe 75% RRP.

Whereas I see plenty of big name bows selling for 50 to 75% RRP which is a massive hit on a $500-$1000 bow.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Black Hunter. I have the longbow (reflex/deflex) in 40 lbs but with my 30in draw its more like 45lbs. Great bow!

Buying an expensive bow to start is a mistake, IMO.

I think the guys recommending the cheap Black Wolf or similar setups is perfect to start. Then you can up your poundage and move into something that suits you- right now, there is no way to know what that is until you shoot for awhile.
You don't say.

GEMSBOKBIGavatar.png

I know, I know...I can be sarcastic too. But I am banned from the local indoor range now because of this bow. Apparently the other archers leave too much of a drool mess when I'm there. Gotta practice at home now. The way this Legacy Gemsbok shoots is equal to its hand carved beauty IMHO. Hope my kids choose to keep it in the family as an heirloom when I'm gone.

15yards.jpg

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Also an aspiring archer looking for a first bow. Looking through the posts here, it looks like the Black Hunter, Sage, and PSE Nighthawk are all solid choices. Differences I’ve found so far is that the Black Hunter does not have lugs for accessories, the prices, and the max draw weights available. I haven’t found how much the different setups weigh; can anyone confirm if they are pretty similar. I am a little biased against the nighthawk because Cabela’s is a distributor (a lot of Cabela’s products seem overpriced to me) Maybe I’m being too harsh?

I like the idea of adding a simple sight, so that eliminates the black hunter. Primary use of the bow is going to be small game and turkey. I’ll start with a set of 30# limbs and work up to 40-45.

Anyway, I found someone at church that shoots a Galaxy bow and am going to try his out. If I like it I’ll probably order a Galaxy Sage. Am I on the right track?

Thanks everyone for your input!

Beendare

WKR
Also an aspiring archer looking for a first bow. Looking through the posts here, it looks like the Black Hunter, Sage, and PSE Nighthawk are all solid choices. Differences I’ve found so far is that the Black Hunter does not have lugs for accessories, the prices, and the max draw weights available. I haven’t found how much the different setups weigh; can anyone confirm if they are pretty similar. I am a little biased against the nighthawk because Cabela’s is a distributor (a lot of Cabela’s products seem overpriced to me) Maybe I’m being too harsh?

I like the idea of adding a simple sight, so that eliminates the black hunter. Primary use of the bow is going to be small game and turkey. I’ll start with a set of 30# limbs and work up to 40-45.

Anyway, I found someone at church that shoots a Galaxy bow and am going to try his out. If I like it I’ll probably order a Galaxy Sage. Am I on the right track?

Some of the metal risers are drilled fir a sught mount, some arent. Very few wood risers are drilled.

My Junxing is drilled, and I dont like it.

A Galaxy Sage and PSE Nighthawk are functionally identical. I would bet they're produced in the same factory and just get a different badge on the way out the door. Either would do fine as a starter bow, but for not much more money you could piece together an entry level ILF bow and have many more options on limb weight/length/material/quality.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I did see ILF as another option. Is it really as simple as choosing a riser and limbs that say “ILF” and then getting a string of the right length? What would you look for in a quality riser? Are the more expensive ones a better fit/better hold/lighter?

Is it really as simple as choosing a riser and limbs that say “ILF” and then getting a string of the right length?
Pretty much. Below is a handy chart showing overall bow lengths for various ILF riser/limb combos.
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Figuring out draw weight of an ILF bow can get a bit tricky because riser length affects draw weight. The draw weight of any given set of ILF limbs will be rated at 28" of draw length on a specific riser length...25" for Olympic-style limbs and something shorter (usually 17-21") for "hunting" limbs. The rule of thumb for estimating actual draw weight when mixing and matching limbs and risers is to add 1 pound of draw weight per 1 inch reduction in riser length, and vice versa. For example, limbs rated 40# at 28" on a 25" riser would be expected to measure 46# at 28" if they were installed on a 19" riser.

What would you look for in a quality riser? Are the more expensive ones a better fit/better hold/lighter?
I haven't shot enough different risers to have an informed opinion. My current ILF riser is a 19" White Feather Lark. It's in the low-to-medium tier pricewise, and I'm happy with it.