First timer heading to The Frank.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
So I have an itch I can’t scratch, I having a burning desire and there is only one thing to do; I must go to The Frank. A couple years ago I started researching hunting out west and like a siren’s call The Frank has called to me. I have read several books about The Frank and each book I’ve read the more I fall in love with the place. It’s a place that I must visit. It would seem that Uncle Sam had different ideas for me and sent me to Hawaii for 3 years and I am half way done with the tour and now that call is getting louder. Since that call has gotten louder I’ve started to research more and more, I want to know everything there is to know and read everything there is read about this magical place.
My plan is a Mule/Elk hunt for at least 10 days. It will also be a hike or fly in with Chamberlain Basin looking like a good starting point. I have invited a couple of friends to go on this hunt but if it’s just me that will be fine too. I know exactly what I am getting myself into and will have means of communication with the outside world. I also know that it’s not the most game rich land and some of the toughest country around. I want to use it as a place to recharge and to reward myself after not being able to hunt for 3 years. This will be my first every trip out west to hunt and I will be in the best shape of my life for this hunt as I still almost 2 years to get ready for it.
So am I completely crazy for wanting to do this and what advice would you past along?

Buy a stairmaster................:cool:

In all seriousness, it is magical and it's pretty much like no place you'll ever see.

Good luck in your planning!

Randy

The Chamerlain country isn't that steep. If you want to go to the Frank to be all tough then fly into the Middle Fork corridor in September and climb 3000 feet plus to get up to the game. Low deer and elk densities. Low trophy quality because of the baolith soils.

Cool place though. It's way more popular with nonresidents than residents these days. One group has more information :)

The Chamerlain country isn't that steep. If you want to go to the Frank to be all tough then fly into the Middle Fork corridor in September and climb 3000 feet plus to get up to the game. Low deer and elk densities. Low trophy quality because of the baolith soils.

Cool place though. It's way more popular with nonresidents than residents these days. One group has more information :)

How is the water situation in that area during September?

Many of the higher elevation drainages will have at least one water source. Not normally a big issue unless it's a real high, rocky area. It'll be ballsy hiking though for sure. In the early season, the deer are spread out over big country.

PM me if you want to get more specific.

Holy smokes!! I was there last weekend. Chamberlain is a wasteland...unless you're looking to bag one of the 3 whitetails that live at the airstrip!! Haven't seen an elk in there...ever.

Bring good boots and make sure you confirm ahead of time that they don't cause you blisters. The Frank will punish you if you don't do this.

Even if your boots don't cause blisters, the Frank will punish you lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Water is often nowhere to be found. Pack it in to be sure.
And as was said, if you do get meat down, be sure to have a way to get it out. 95* will rot it within a day. I could have killed an elk in there several years ago, .....but at nine miles in, 95* temps, 9000' and with multiple meat pack outs, (it would have amounted to about 40 miles on foot for one bull elk) I passed. Thank God.

Good luck.

My little brother and I will be going into the Frank on September 29th, and will be coming out on October 6th. Only 3 weeks left. We'll be flying into Cold Meadows. Been planning this for over a year now. He lives in Idaho, and I live in Arizona. We were looking for a challenging hunt that we could do together. We're not expecting to find a lot of deer, but we might get lucky. Who knows, we might not see jack squat. But that's not what the trip is about. I'll post some pics when we get back.

the frank church river of no return wilderness is a great place. At over 2,000,000 acres there is a lot of land. But the frank is crowded by the airstrips. it will take 2 hours of hiking to get away from all the crowds. Now where else, can you have all kinds of luxuries flown in? with that said, I try to spend a week a year in there. hunting or rafting. There have been lots of fires in there. Root ranch has a webcam to check on smoke. have fun and get lost in there.

So I have an itch I can’t scratch, I having a burning desire and there is only one thing to do; I must go to The Frank. A couple years ago I started researching hunting out west and like a siren’s call The Frank has called to me. I have read several books about The Frank and each book I’ve read the more I fall in love with the place. It’s a place that I must visit. It would seem that Uncle Sam had different ideas for me and sent me to Hawaii for 3 years and I am half way done with the tour and now that call is getting louder. Since that call has gotten louder I’ve started to research more and more, I want to know everything there is to know and read everything there is read about this magical place.
My plan is a Mule/Elk hunt for at least 10 days. It will also be a hike or fly in with Chamberlain Basin looking like a good starting point. I have invited a couple of friends to go on this hunt but if it’s just me that will be fine too. I know exactly what I am getting myself into and will have means of communication with the outside world. I also know that it’s not the most game rich land and some of the toughest country around. I want to use it as a place to recharge and to reward myself after not being able to hunt for 3 years. This will be my first every trip out west to hunt and I will be in the best shape of my life for this hunt as I still almost 2 years to get ready for it.
So am I completely crazy for wanting to do this and what advice would you past along?
Any update on the trip?

I have had the same itch for years. just retired from the military last year, think I am to old and broken to scratch this it now!! Do it while you can!!!

Unless you're part mule, have access to stock, or plan on getting really lucky i would plan on sticking with just Deer. The country is extremely tough as I am sure you have already found out through research and you'll be hard pressed to find elk within a reasonable packing distance to a strip. What time of year are you planning on going?

Back