First timer elk hunt

BigMick93

FNG
Trying to figure out which state would be the best for a first time western hunter going for elk. I don't have any pref points, nor know how to aquire them yet. I'm shooting for any legal elk, cow or bull, raghorn, or spike. Would be shooting for OTC possibly CO or MT? What would you suggest I do, and where's the best place to learn how to bank pref points?

Thanks in advance
Big Mick

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to figure out which state would be the best for a first time western hunter going for elk. I don't have any pref points, nor know how to aquire them yet. I'm shooting for any legal elk, cow or bull, raghorn, or spike. Would be shooting for OTC possibly CO or MT? What would you suggest I do, and where's the best place to learn how to bank pref points?

Thanks in advance
Big Mick
I’m a life long westerner, lived in Montana for a chunk of adult life, now Nevada (elk hunting is good here but for out of staters hard to get tags) I’d go for Wyoming if I were you. Lots of elk and higher success rates. But check success rates for any area/state you are looking at.

OP
BigMick93

BigMick93

FNG
Thanks for responding,

I'd be going solo, how's the bear situation in Wyoming? Would it be viable to get an outfitter for the first time? I don't have any friends that are as passionate as I am. My wife would kill me faster than the grizz if I went alone

Laramie

WKR
Thanks for responding,

I'd be going solo, how's the bear situation in Wyoming? Would it be viable to get an outfitter for the first time? I don't have any friends that are as passionate as I am. My wife would kill me faster than the grizz if I went alone
Spend some time reading threads on here. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people who have asked all the same questions. You are very late to the game but with some research, you can pull it off if you are willing to wait years. Colorado is the easiest state to get a tag currently.

OP
BigMick93

BigMick93

FNG
Definitely go to Wyo on a guided hunt, especially a guided Wilderness hunt
You will get to see all the elk that all the NonRes dont get to hunt without a guide! ;)
Gotta look into it, the info is alot to comprehend. Way more than IN deer hunting!

CMF

WKR
Budget? Do you plan to go every year or just once? Lots of potential draw opportunities better than otc if you can apply in multiple states, but the money adds up quickly.

OP
BigMick93

BigMick93

FNG
Budget? Do you plan to go every year or just once? Lots of potential draw opportunities better than otc if you can apply in multiple states, but the money adds up quickly.
Cmf,

I have a tight budget. I'd like to dream of going every year, but let's face the music. I just want to accomplish an elk hunt. I'd love to harvest a cow, and then save up for a lifetime bull. And then a muley. I'd be going solo. So I'd like to stay away from grizzly territory. I'd like to start getting points this year and potentially try for a cow this yr as well.

Laramie

WKR
Cmf,

I have a tight budget. I'd like to dream of going every year, but let's face the music. I just want to accomplish an elk hunt. I'd love to harvest a cow, and then save up for a lifetime bull. And then a muley. I'd be going solo. So I'd like to stay away from grizzly territory. I'd like to start getting points this year and potentially try for a cow this yr as well.
Here is something for you to consider. There are currently 181,815 nonresidents ahead of you in the Wyoming preference point pool for elk. Wyoming gives out around 7250 LQ elk tags yearly. Of course some tags go for less points than others but you need to understand you have many people are ahead of you trying to do the exact same thing. It could be a very long wait...
1707334561874.png

Without any points, OTC Colorado is about your only option. But, if you would be happy with hunting solely for cows, then you have lots of options. You really need to spend time learning each state's rules and draw systems. Yes, there is lots of info on this site and others pertaining to your questions, but there is a ton of erroneous info as well. Go straight to the source or get a subscription with a licensing service.

Cmf,

Not sure if you can hunt WY elk this year if you didn't apply already. Its not OTC for nonres but you should be able to get a cow tag pretty much every year in a non grizz unit in WY while you wait to draw a bull tag. Also check out the leftover tags. Just takes a little time to figure out how apply and all the regs