First timer bullet selection

williaada

WKR
I have a buddy going elk hunting with me this year, and just bought his first rifle. Took him to the range and started to get him familiar with his firearm. The bullets he brought out were the Winchester whitetail/ deer bullets and the hornady whitetail bullets.
I use Barnes or nosler in all of my guns. Will the aforementioned bullets work from 300 yards and in on elk?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Yes
its not rocket science, subjective to caliber
I had a guided elk hunt and the guy insisted I use federal premium/ NP
i used what I had , federal classic blue box my bull was DRT @ 300 meters and nobody was for the wiser

LightFoot

WKR
Depends. I’d be more comfortable shooting the “deer loads” from a 300 than from a 243.

It is more likely than not that the bullets will be just fine if put dust behind shoulder and double-lungs a bull.

For me, if I wasn’t 100% confident, I’d try to go to a bullet I was comfortable with. The Nosler partition is never wrong for elk inside 300 yards. The same May be said for copper solids or bonded lead bullets. Federal fusions have a good reputation.

Good luck on y’all’s hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Completely disagree with the post above. I've seen generic cup and core bullets (ie deer bullets) work very well up to about 3000 fps impact velocity. Above that, they get very splashy, producing larger, shallower holes so that deer load out of a magnum is more likely to produce a large, shallow wound than the same bullet at a lower velocity. At lower impact velocities, bullets upset less, increasing penetration to adequate depths.

So, depending on the cartridge, it might be something that I consider fine, or not. A few great threads on how bullets kill:

OP
W

williaada

WKR
Completely disagree with the post above. I've seen generic cup and core bullets (ie deer bullets) work very well up to about 3000 fps impact velocity. Above that, they get very splashy, producing larger, shallower holes so that deer load out of a magnum is more likely to produce a large, shallow wound than the same bullet at a lower velocity. At lower impact velocities, bullets upset less, increasing penetration to adequate depths.

So, depending on the cartridge, it might be something that I consider fine, or not. A few great threads on how bullets kill:

Thanks for the response. This is factory load so these not hot loads.