First Time/Tent/Bags

This will be my first elk hunt in Colorado this year. Starting to round up some gear. I am going with one other person and we are planning on camping about 3 miles from the truck… we will be going about the 3rd week in September and are trying to figure out what tent/bag to run.

We are wanting a mobile enough tent to bring 3 miles in but big enough to sleep two people and our gear. Will have trekking poles if someone recommends a trekking pole tent. Also any suggestions on sleeping bags/pads for that time of year? We want stuff semi compact but that’s not gonna break the bank as this our first year and we are having to buy a lot. Let me know!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
This will be my first elk hunt in Colorado this year. Starting to round up some gear. I am going with one other person and we are planning on camping about 3 miles from the truck… we will be going about the 3rd week in September and are trying to figure out what tent/bag to run.

We are wanting a mobile enough tent to bring 3 miles in but big enough to sleep two people and our gear. Will have trekking poles if someone recommends a trekking pole tent. Also any suggestions on sleeping bags/pads for that time of year? We want stuff semi compact but that’s not gonna break the bank as this our first year and we are having to buy a lot. Let me know!

Thanks!

Have you ever backpacked before? Would definitely recommend a few shake down trips before combining hunting with backpacking if you haven’t. Truck camping might make it a little more enjoyable the first season.

With that being said, On a budget, I’d get a military sleep system and a mountainsmith mountain shelter lt. Pad wise, id look for a Nemo tensor or anything similar. That should more than cover you weather/temp wise. A touch heavy but will be pretty damn solid. You can use all that stuff at the truck and then decide if you want to stay mobile.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
For a cheaper bag, check out the klymit Aspen 20. pad, klymit static v insulated . Tent, there's a whole plethora of options but a mountain Smith Lt is bare bones and works wonders from what I've gathered. Compressed Sleeping bag size is a very big factor for me now. I have a 20° semi mil surp bag that is warm as all get out. But packs down to the size of a women's basketball. Not ideal for a smaller pack. A friend let me borrow his nemo down bag and it was smaller than my nalgene which changes the game drastically.