First time DM766 Wood river Moose

flanman85

FNG
I drew the DM766 tag. I put in for it because I have all the equip to get out and hunt the hell out of it. I have an Argo and Skandic SWT along with my Arctic Oven. That being said and not super familiar with the area I had a few questions. I cannot find anything that says the trailer restriction is still in place for the late season hunt if I use the Argo. Also I can access pretty much anything after Sept 25th as the rex trail opens up for off road travel due to freezing conditions? Any realistic approaches to this other than the 40 mile trek to get there? I see the temp varies from cold as hell to holy shit my lungs hurt. Just looking for some good info on the area or places to avoid my efforts. I will also be targeting wolves if I can locate them. Im pretty interested in calling and shooting one, also willing to go after them on skis if needed. I am aware they are on high alert in that country.

CJ AK

FNG
Just got back today. I was successful. Standby and I will have more to report when I get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! Glad you scored. Looks like a hunt with some promise. Very high draw possibility and one of the better success rates. I'm looking forward to hearing your story. As of now I have it as draw pick #6, the 5 others are all slotted for Jber. I thought of moving my #5 pick over to this hunt.

OP
flanman85

flanman85

FNG
OK just working tonight so I have some time to update. I was successful on my hunt. Got a little bull, nothing fancy. But I wanted to explain a little about this hunt.
1. Forgo any conclusion you will have a opportunity at any big bulls.
2. Moose populations in this area have not fared well since ADFG smacked the hell out of the cows for 4 years I think.
3. Access is incredibly difficult at times, so consider this.
4. The river crossings are something to be very aware of. There is open water in some places and overflow in others. At the distance you encounter them keep in mind nobody is there to help you.

I'm not here to say how I accessed it, and where I hunted. That's for you figure out just as I did. Just be prepared with a mechanically sound means of access, have a good plan and a backup, carry an inreach. No matter how you decide to attack it this is hard on gear. Don't do what I did and go alone! And don't apply for the hunt unless you truly understand what difficult access means, because it is no picnic.
There is a reason it has high draw success. Because it takes a long time to sort out how to hunt it and have the right equip to attack it.

That's all I got... I don't post grip and grins and I will leave you with the same information I received. If you're serious about it you will never know if you can hack it until you try. I think I will actually stick with a majority of my moose hunting being in Sept normal season as I feel it doesn't get as dicey and there are better chances at better bulls.