First time Colorado Elk hunt - can’t find ammo!

Engineerd

FNG
Hello everyone! I’m an eastern backpacker and sometime white tail hunter. I’ll be hunting 3rd season elk in Colorado for the first time ever. There’s so much to learn and buy!

I have been planning to hunt with a .308 but I “accidentally” won the bid on a CA traverse in 300 wsm and it seems lien a better fit. Im working on getting it dialed in to be comfortable out to 350 (I’m a long time shooter), but I cannot find any elk grade 300wsm ammo anywhere! Im looking for Nosler accubonds but I’m fine with whatever I can find that will be enough punch for a bill elk. Anyone know where I can find some good elk rounds for 300wsm? I prefer 180 grain as my rifle seems to like those more than 200 I’m the general ammo I’ve been able to find.

Thank you all so much for your help! I’ve learned more than I ever dreamed possible from these threads and all of you!
Checkout Ammoseek.com, great source for finding what's available.

Also, I'd consider the .308, much better ammo availability and plenty of "knockdown" for elk.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Remember , those are hand loads and the quality is supposed to be better than factory , key word supposed , LOL
All those bullets are adequate for Elk , IMO , but I would try the 165's myself first . It comes down to what your gun wants to shoot , but at those prices it's hard to experiment , LOL
Hahaha, absolutely!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Out to 500 the .308 will kill elk reliably. Easy to get many fantastic factory loads, and mild recoil equals smaller hit cone for most shooters.
Shelved my 300 wm, and will likely do the same with my 7mm mag, picked up .308 tikka, suppressor is on the way, I personally will not take shots on game further than 500 yards anyway. The tikka roughtek was a steal for under a grand and will likely be the new go to rifle.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Out to 350 that 308 will do anything you want. Plenty of 308 ammo around, including the 175gr Terminal Ascent loads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I actually bought 4 boxes of terminal ascent loads today for that very purpose!

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
I have a bunch I'll sell you. Hornady Precision 200gr ELDX
Thank you so much for the offer! I would take you up on that but from these suggestions I’ve found and bought enough to last a few years.

You guys are great!

tburkepa

FNG
I just got 4 boxes of 180 grain directly from Norma... We'll see how they work for my 3rd season CO hunt also...

bxanders

FNG
Great thread, and funny how if you read its entirety, you might just get your own question answered. lol Also now I have first post out of the way, I'm a fng.

Norma bondstrike 180gr is not hard to find. Looks to be good though I personally have not shot it. Fair value there just in the brass.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Depends if you have high off bore-sight capability and an all aspect load.
Obviously! I’m using nato elk seekers. It will o Ly seek legal bulls out to 6 miles and send the gps coordinates to my phone so I can find it. I want the upgraded rounds that will quarter, bag and hang the meat, but I’ll save up for next season

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Shelved my 300 wm, and will likely do the same with my 7mm mag, picked up .308 tikka, suppressor is on the way, I personally will not take shots on game further than 500 yards anyway. The tikka roughtek was a steal for under a grand and will likely be the new go to rifle.
I’ve been hearing more and more of that! I shoot well out to 800 with my .308, but I’m an eastern hunter and have never shot game farther than 180, so I’m reluctant to take a shot at an elk farther than 350. If I’m confident and have a good set up at 400, I’ll consider it but certainly not farther my first time.

Next year after I’ve had some experience and a lot more time to dial in practicing out to 500, I’ll reconsider. The wind is different in colorado than I’m used to as well. It’s hilly here but we don’t get thermals and swirls here in TN like I’m likely to experience out west.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve been hearing more and more of that! I shoot well out to 800 with my .308, but I’m an eastern hunter and have never shot game farther than 180, so I’m reluctant to take a shot at an elk farther than 350. If I’m confident and have a good set up at 400, I’ll consider it but certainly not farther my first time.

Next year after I’ve had some experience and a lot more time to dial in practicing out to 500, I’ll reconsider. The wind is different in colorado than I’m used to as well. It’s hilly here but we don’t get thermals and swirls here in TN like I’m likely to experience out west.
I mostly archery hunt elk, I rifle hunt mule deer, typically I can always get under 500. Stalking in tight even with a rifle is awesome. The last 2 bucks I shot with a rifle were under 100 yards

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
I mostly archery hunt elk, I rifle hunt mule deer, typically I can always get under 500. Stalking in tight even with a rifle is awesome. The last 2 bucks I shot with a rifle were under 100 yards
See that’s what I want to hear! I love shots under 100. I’m typically much more comfortable with less than perfect angles at that range

gbflyer

WKR
Obviously! I’m using nato elk seekers. It will o Ly seek legal bulls out to 6 miles and send the gps coordinates to my phone so I can find it. I want the upgraded rounds that will quarter, bag and hang the meat, but I’ll save up for next season

Careful, those coordinates will be hacked and end up posted here for the folks “not looking for your honey holes, but….”