First time Colorado Elk hunt - can’t find ammo!

Obviously! I’m using nato elk seekers. It will o Ly seek legal bulls out to 6 miles and send the gps coordinates to my phone so I can find it. I want the upgraded rounds that will quarter, bag and hang the meat, but I’ll save up for next season
Careful with that NATO stuff. Likes to go for the tailpipe.

phil dirt

FNG
Our local Sportsman Warehouse had some a week ago don't know what gr. they will ship to you. Contact Scheels they are good about shipping to you from one of their stores. good luck on your hunt.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Our local Sportsman Warehouse had some a week ago don't know what gr. they will ship to you. Contact Scheels they are good about shipping to you from one of their stores. good luck on your hunt.
Thank you so much! You guys have been so helpful!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Actually it hasn’t happened yet. We’re hunting 3rd season rifle so it starts November 12th. I’ll definitely follow up!
Oh nice, I was under the impression that it was a first season tag. Good luck man, I’ll be out with a buck tag in my pocket then too! I’ll do a snow dance and hope for some good nasty weather to keep the animals up and moving all season

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Oh nice, I was under the impression that it was a first season tag. Good luck man, I’ll be out with a buck tag in my pocket then too! I’ll do a snow dance and hope for some good nasty weather to keep the animals up and moving all season
Hahaha, I’ll join you in that dance! I don’t mind being uncomfortable but I love it when the game is up and about! Having a buck tag in November always makes me happy. They do tend to move around during the day more than they like. I hope you get a monster!

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Hello everyone! I promised to follow up after my hunt. This was my first elk hunt (or any species hunt out west). We hunted DIY in NW Colorado. It took 5 days to figure out the unit and how the elk moved but it worked! I had a blast and it was a successful hunt. Thanks to you all for your help. I ended up using my .308 rather than the 300 wsm or 30 Nos. I shot him once through and through broadside through both lungs and then a Texas heart shot as he was running away for good measure. The 175 grain Terminal Ascents performed perfectly! He’s no monster but I’m thrilled and I’m definitely a meat hunter. I’ll post a picture.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 6223F160-101B-4D5E-A537-6D375F524939.jpeg
    6223F160-101B-4D5E-A537-6D375F524939.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 77
OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
I appreciate it! I am absolutely thrilled! I’ll humbly admit that it took me 5 hours to skin and quarter him and fill the meat bags with boneless. Then I spent another 2 hours deboning the quarters after I found out I couldn’t bring elk bones into Tenneseee. Man, that’s a lot of work! It didn’t make it faster that it was 3 degrees and snowing hard during the skinning and quartering, but I definitely need to get way faster!

Thanks again everyone!

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine took this bull last year in the same part of the state. Pretty unique and also very interesting that yours looks so much alike! Please don’t post units or town on here but I would love to know the general area where you were. Looks too similar to not be a genetic thing for the area. You can pm me or just enjoy the pics. Good job on a unique looking bull

Attachments

• 0F320D15-A99F-456F-A0B3-68CC72B65CC1.jpeg
    0F320D15-A99F-456F-A0B3-68CC72B65CC1.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 936AB73F-5BE1-4EB8-985D-7638D0290E7F.jpeg
    936AB73F-5BE1-4EB8-985D-7638D0290E7F.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 21
OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
That is so interesting! I wondered if it might be generic!

It was taken in Routt National forest.

Thanks for the tip on not posting units or specific areas. I tend to not be very secretive but I did see how difficult it was to find and learn an area to hunt. I went to 4 units before settling on a place to hunt. Co sitios were very unique in northwest colorado during 3rd season this year and won’t likely be similar next year. Lots more extreme cold and snow than is normal for that time of year I’m told.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
A buddy of mine took this bull last year in the same part of the state. Pretty unique and also very interesting that yours looks so much alike! Please don’t post units or town on here but I would love to know the general area where you were. Looks too similar to not be a genetic thing for the area. You can pm me or just enjoy the pics. Good job on a unique looking bull
I think I replied to your post on the general thread instead of directly to you.

I keep looking at this picture and it is remarkable how similar these bulls are! Mine is a typical 5 point on the “normal” side and 3 points with no brow tone on the side coming out of his forehead. I agree that these must be genetically linked somehow. I wondered originally if mine had been injured causing the deformity but seeing this post makes it seem otherwise.