First time Colorado Elk hunt - can’t find ammo!

Nejevoli

FNG
Hello everyone! I’m an eastern backpacker and sometime white tail hunter. I’ll be hunting 3rd season elk in Colorado for the first time ever. There’s so much to learn and buy!

I have been planning to hunt with a .308 but I “accidentally” won the bid on a CA traverse in 300 wsm and it seems lien a better fit. Im working on getting it dialed in to be comfortable out to 350 (I’m a long time shooter), but I cannot find any elk grade 300wsm ammo anywhere! Im looking for Nosler accubonds but I’m fine with whatever I can find that will be enough punch for a bill elk. Anyone know where I can find some good elk rounds for 300wsm? I prefer 180 grain as my rifle seems to like those more than 200 I’m the general ammo I’ve been able to find.

Thank you all so much for your help! I’ve learned more than I ever dreamed possible from these threads and all of you!

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Here ya go ....
Thank you so much! This is great!

Do you think the 165 accubonds would be a good choice for elk? 180 TTSX? 168 VLD? I’m going to place an order!

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
look on ammoseek.com

I purchased Norma Bond Strikes for my 300 WSM in 180 grain variety. Groups really well out of my gun and what I'll be taking in 10 days
Thank you! I saw those on ammo seek this morning and wondered if they’re a elk round.

fishslap

WKR
Hahaha, that’s a fair point!
The 165 bondstrikes group really well out of my 7mm rem mag. If I could find more of them that’s what I’d shoot. I’d consider them a really good elk round since it’s a bonded bullet. The local Murdochs has 300 wsm in stock which is a good sign for availability.

OP
N

Nejevoli

FNG
Any thing 180gr + , cup core , bonded ( bond strike) nosler , ect
will bowl elk all day every day
even junk like hornday ELD X & M will kill any elk
That is so good to know! I find that the more research I do the more confused I am about ammo. So many opinions! This is very helpful. Thank you!

CRJR45

WKR
Thank you so much! This is great!

Do you think the 165 accubonds would be a good choice for elk? 180 TTSX? 168 VLD? I’m going to place an order!
Remember , those are hand loads and the quality is supposed to be better than factory , key word supposed , LOL
All those bullets are adequate for Elk , IMO , but I would try the 165's myself first . It comes down to what your gun wants to shoot , but at those prices it's hard to experiment , LOL